title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ID Tagging Update - manipulate or Map

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puckman
    • Apr 2011

ID Tagging Update - manipulate or Map

As comes with experimentation, so do mistakes. I am slowly messing up my unruly FLAC library (Another story in itself) Up till about a week ago most of my FLAC library was ripped with non-Vorbis tagging:o. Thus the files do not have Track [*blooper*] entries only TRACKNUMBER. I tried manipulating, mapping, deleting (all except...) with the dMC -> ID Tag Update. Instead, I end up wiping out the all tags fields in the batch conversion. (I'm getting a little smarter at it, I only experiment with one file per trial.) I just want to map the TRACKNUMBER field to the Track field for later and proper transcoding purposes. The convertor (transcoder) seems to like the Track tag rather than the TRACKNUMBER tag for filenaming purpose. I've read the FAQ's and the short guide on programmable tagging to no avail. What am I not getting through my thick skull? I can try to post a screenshot or example of my mis-experimentation. I'm just hoping the solution to mapping/manipulating is more eloquent that programmable/dynamic tagging.

P.S. I don't see a button where I can upload screen shots, pics, etc on the forums here
    Thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ID Tagging Update - manipulate or Map

Try reripping with the correct options set?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• puckman
      • Apr 2011

Really? Remapping tags for 200 CD's seems a lot more quicker than re-ripping them. This volume of data would take 11 hours (give or take a few minutes) to re-rip. :headbang: Prior to my question here and as you suggested, I did make the discovery and changed them to the proper settings and transcoding is working out the way I like.
      It's what you're not saying in your reply that I can hear the loudest.

Comment

• jhren
        • May 2010

What you are wanting to do is quite easy...

Call up the Convert dialog as usual.

In the Converting To: dropbox select [ID Tag Update].

Click on the Map tab.

Click on the Add New button.

A "mapping row" appears. On the left side is a drop box with Album Artist highlighted. Type in TRACKNUMBER (NOTE: In my experience this is not case sensitive).

To the right will be [name mapping to]. When you click in the area it turns into a drop box. Click on the down arrow to expand the list, and select Track (or just type it in).

Click on the Convert>> button...

PS: This mapping process removes the tag being mapped and places its value in the specified tag by creating a new tag or by overwriting the value of an existing tag of the name specified.
        Last edited by jhren; 08-18-2011, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• puckman
          • Apr 2011

What you are wanting to do is quite easy...
          You either didn't read what I posted or try what you've suggested in this particular case (read all the specifics). Just to be double-sure, I followed your instructions...EXACTLY! I could not re-create what you suggested (remapped ID tags for FLAC). The results are just as I posted. When I map tags (using dMC) in FLAC files (created by dCDR) dMC -> ID Tag Update wipes out every tag.

By suggesting that I re-rip the CD, even Spoon implied in this thread that re-mapping can't be done in my case. I had settings which did not create tags for proper transcoding. More importantly, what I ignored was the 'Track to Tracknumber' which should have been 'Leave as Track' It seems to me that CD Ripper can map the tags to the FLAC file but dMC cannot re-map the FLAC tags back into the same files (AFAIK). I even played around with programmable naming and tagging under CD Ripper for FLAC files. So far they haven't played nice with me. I'm not done experimenting with this feature.

I think your suggestion applies elsewhere in dMC -> ID Tag Update - not in my case. I'm posting back to provide cautionary feedback to those who might try and follow your suggestion. Thanks for playing though.:D

Comment

• jhren
            • May 2010

Originally posted by puckman
            You either didn't read what I posted or try what you've suggested in this particular case (read all the specifics).
            Rather presumptuous of you... :thumbdown

Are you always this snide with those attempting to be helpful?

Nonetheless, I should note that the file I DID TRY this on, was not created with dMC. All my flac's do not have a TRACKNUMBER tag.

However, your frustation made me dig a little deeper. I just tried deleting a flac Track tag and adding a TRACKNUMBER tag (both dMC- and non-dMC-created) ... and it will not take on my 'puter. Deleting the Track tag appears to work, but closing and reopening Edit ID Tag shows a new Track tag with null value. And trying to add a TRACKNUMBER tag and value seems to take, but exiting and reopening Edit ID Tag shows no TRACKNUMBER tag and the value entered for it was automatically remapped to Track tag!!!! ...and in my earlier trial I did all that in one fell swoop before attempting the Update, not knowing what happened once I closed the Edit ID Tag dialog... so it seemed to work :komisch9:

So there

...Just to be double-sure, I followed your instructions...EXACTLY! I could not re-create what you suggested (remapped ID tags for FLAC). The results are just as I posted. When I map tags (using dMC) in FLAC files (created by dCDR) dMC -> ID Tag Update wipes out every tag.
            Being you have been experimenting... make sure you don't have anything else set to happen in the other tabs of ID Tag Update... such as All Tags under the Deletions tab.

By suggesting that I re-rip the CD, even Spoon implied in this thread that re-mapping can't be done in my case. I had settings which did not create tags for proper transcoding. More importantly, what I ignored was the 'Track to Tracknumber' which should have been 'Leave as Track' It seems to me that CD Ripper can map the tags to the FLAC file but dMC cannot re-map the FLAC tags back into the same files (AFAIK). I even played around with programmable naming and tagging under CD Ripper for FLAC files. So far they haven't played nice with me. I'm not done experimenting with this feature.
            AFAIK, I've never changed any of the settings, and I'm not all that certain what the different settings do, but here is what mine are:

As you can see, mine is set for Track to TrackNumber!!!

FWIW, I'm using r13.5.

I think your suggestion applies elsewhere in dMC -> ID Tag Update - not in my case. I'm posting back to provide cautionary feedback to those who might try and follow your suggestion. Thanks for playing though.:D
            Any chance you can upload one of your flac files and link to it here... maybe I can play around some more :D

Comment

Working...

]]>