title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Audio Format Poll

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: Audio Format Poll

Ew, no C languages yet. I'm learning UScript, part of Unreal Tournament 2004. Currently I'm making Unreal Matinee cinematics on this thread

In other words, I'm already busy. But still bored, strangely.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

Re: MP3 is best compromise

If you want to swap/download music, try Ogg Vorbis or WMA.

EDIT: I double posted?
      Last edited by neilthecellist; 06-19-2005, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2005

Replying to the original Q, only 2 years late (hey, I just arrived!) I have stuff in MP3 (downloads .. no really, legal ones!) WMA lossless and WMA (because it sounds better than MP3, because WMP10 and my portable player can handle them) and I'm moving everything to OGG Vorbis (better qualiy in smaller space, and my NEW portable player can handle it .. OK, WMP chokes a bit on library mgmt, but I just bought dbpoweramp).

Q6 or Q7 for the main 'master' files and Q0 or Q-1 even for the ones to put on the portable player (out in the field that's quite good enough). Would be real nice if poweramp (music colletion) could get its head round the idea of 'I have 3 copies of this song that I want to keep synched' (kind of like a C Makefile or something) .. so if I change the artist tag on the master copy the Q0 OGG (and anything else I might have built fromt he master - WMA 64 Kbps for my old player maybe) also get updated.

Comment

• hexadecimal
          • Jul 2005

winmx don't work on charter, comcast, or time warner connections. I did get it working ONCE on time warner, then it died again. plus its too windows 95ish. kinda scares me.

and bearshare has alot of mailcious software on it, and also most of the movies on there are pr0n. and also its very hard to find dance music on there.

but.... my fav audio codecs are AAC, Real, and mp3. AAC is pretty good since a 212k mp3 sounds about as good (on my speakers/sound config) as good as a 128K AAC file.

but I have good speakers, creative 5.1 inspire. but I want those new 7.1's! and an audigiy 4 plantnum!!!!!

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

Soulseek/Shareaza?

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Or mabye, heaven forbid, BUY the CDs? I admit, I copy music from friends. However, if I like the artist, I buy the CD. If don't like them, I delete the songs.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2005

ogg vorbis for me :smile2:

i dont have a huge hard drive, small size and great quality is a must
                i still have a few mp3s around though

Comment

• Hyrize
                  • Jul 2004

i have mostly mp3 because that's just what everything is downloaded as and i figure converting it to anything else is just going to degrade the quality more (ie. to lossy) or take up more space (ie. to lossless).

mostly i rip to oggs, but now i have more hdd space i'll prolly rip to lossless wma more.
                  that or now that my iriver can play wavpack i might give that a go in hybrid mode:smile2:

Comment

• neilthecellist
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Dec 2004

Have to start using Ogg Vorbis again because most maps made for Unreal Tournament 2004 require the Ogg Vorbis codec for music.

Comment

• jtbse
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jan 2006

Hi Spoon...

First of all...just want to say the dbPowerAmp conversion tools and codecs rock! :smile2:

I use AAC mostly (.m4a), for a few reasons. 1) Seems to be a good lossy compromise (at least to my ear) 2) I have an iPod and it's compatible. 3) At the time I started using WinAmp to manage my library it was the default ripping encoder that WinAmp was using.

I also convert lots of vinyl LPs to digital (when I've got the time for such things ), and use the dbPowerAmp converter to encode to AAC from WAV after cleaning up the pops and noise.

But lately, I've been considering going to a lossless (probably FLAC), to allow for more flexibility with streaming and such. But converting my current library of nearly 4000 songs is a big project I'm not ready to take on right now.

jtbse

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

FLAC is a good idea. I just wish portable devices would support APE (Monkey's Audio) more often, because I find that compression seems to be a lot better in Monkey's Audio format.

As of now... If I'm ripping CD's to my computer, it's either Ogg Vorbis at -q8 or mp3 at 320kbps. Yes, I know, I still use mp3's.

Comment

• Ruhe
                          • May 2006

Ogg with -q5 or -q6
                          Last edited by Ruhe; 05-21-2006, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

Anyone here support FhG mp3 encoding? Sometimes I want to deviate from LAME...

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                              Anyone here support FhG mp3 encoding? Sometimes I want to deviate from LAME...
                              depends on the situation, I use which ever encoder is best suited to the task (IMO lame3.93.1 is best 99% of the time)

The only version of any fhg encoder I would ever use is l3codecp.acm v1.2 (aka radium) at 128kbps, simply because it lowpasses at 20khz and has a bit less ringing than lame at 128kbps cbr with it's lowpass at 20khz (newer versions of l3codecp.acm lowpass at 16khz). fastencc merits decent enough quality with -vbr 1 at ~96kbps or so. mp3enc and l3enc suck.

xing and helix have their own merits as well.

What reasons do you have from deviating from lame (just curious)?

Comment

• JVILLAS
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Oct 2002

Hi It's been 3 years since my last post. Currently for lossy I use Ogg and Lame MP3vbr. Lossy is used primarily for portable listening. For Home stereo,and computor listening I like Flac, WavPack, and of course I still will sometimes play play the original cd

Comment

Working...

]]>