title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem with CD Ripper and Phantom Burner.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nichtbachmeer
    • Jan 2009

Problem with CD Ripper and Phantom Burner.

I use an app called Phantom Burner, which is a virtual cd-r driver, to rip ape and flac files with cue sheets using Exact Audio Copy. EAC writes it's output to the virtual burner instead of an actual cdr. I can then open up any ripping program and navigate to that 'drive' and rip the contents. This works with iTunes and Windows Media Player but not with CD Ripper. CD Ripper recognizes the drive and pulls the correct meta tags for the 'CD' but, when I hit the play button the tracks appear to play but no sound is produced. I can even rip the tracks but the encoded output files do not appear to have any data in them - they don't play in any audio player.

I can use iTunes or WMA to re-encode these files but I really want to use CD Ripper because of its superior tagging capabilities. I rip mostly classical music and the CD Ripper tagging is better than any other app I've run across.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problem with CD Ripper and Phantom Burner.

CD Ripper >> Options and set Communication to Windows Internal.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• nichtbachmeer
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
      CD Ripper >> Options and set Communication to Windows Internal.

Thamks Spoon, I was hoping that you would have some option setting to try. Unfortunately when I make this change, though it does produce sound when I play a track in CD Ripper, there's a high volume static buzzing along with it that transfers through to the rips. In EAC if I run a detect on the read command that Phantom Burner uses it reports it as Read10. I realize Read10 isn't one of the options in the dropdown list in Ripper but is there some other way to activate it or am I SOL using Phantom Burner with Ripper? I'm guessing that iTunes and WMP must autodetect and somehow come up with Read10 (if in fact Read10 is correct). I really hope that there's some reliable way to use Ripper with Phantom Burner. My only other hope is that Apple and MS add the ability to use multiple tagging services that you folks have developed. It really is a superb approach.

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Skipping a discussion of your workflow for now.

Have you tried other virtual optical drive programs? slysoft has one called virtual clone drive here, and it is free: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

-brendan

Comment

• nichtbachmeer
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bhoar
          Skipping a discussion of your workflow for now.

Have you tried other virtual optical drive programs? slysoft has one called virtual clone drive here, and it is free: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

-brendan
          Phantom Burner is different from every other virtual CD ROM app in that it has the ability so be seen by any application as a writable drive. In other words, an app like Virtual Clone drive (which I have used and is very good) can mount an ISO image and appear as a CD drive with a disc loaded into it. Phantom Burner allows you to create a disk file as a pseudo CD-R blank and allow any program that can write to a CD writer to write to that image. This allows an app like EAC that does not allow image creation within it's function to create an audio CD from ape/cue or flac/cue files to create an image.

I have searched for other apps that have this capability and Phantom Burner seems to be the only one available that can do this.

Comment

• nichtbachmeer
            • Jan 2009

Re: Problem with CD Ripper and Phantom Burner. (Update)

The noise that I had reported above after using the option that Spoon suggested is gone and things are working exactly as I had hoped. I had inadvertantly created the image that I used after making the change to Windows Internal from an application other than EAC and this app aparently has issues with Phantom Burner also. After creating an image with EAC and pulling that 'drive' into CD Ripper along with the read option change everything worked perfectly.

Thanks Spoon, you have a really great product.

Comment

Working...

]]>