title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper Hang

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsx11
    • Dec 2008

Re: CD Ripper Hang

Yes. I did not give you the correct information before. 1 ASUS drive is IDE, 2 are SATA. The last is LG SATA. I remember now that Vista had trouble loading from a SATA, so I put an IDE drive in. Never took it out.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Try removing CD drives if you can and test with just one.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
        Try removing CD drives if you can and test with just one.
        To clarify, you're talking about doing this using the device manager to remove them one at a time (when the cd ripper is not running), not physically removing them. Removing them in the device manager should be equivalent, correct?

They should be re-detected and installed when you reboot.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Personally I would remove the drives not being used for the test from the computer (unplug the cable).
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gsx11
            • Dec 2008

Sorry about the delayed response. I have been out of town for a couple of days. I disconnected all but the IDE drive and it still does the same thing. I did find something very interesting though. I have the PC setup as dual boot. Vista 32 and 64. I usually use 32, which is what I have been working with up till now. I have 12.4 installed in 64. It works fine that way. This next part seems very strange to me. If I boot into 32 and login under a different account (both have admin rights), it works fine using 13.1. The only thing I could think to check is if there is some service that is running under one account, but not the other. I checked and they are identical. The majority of my applications and my setup is under the primary account. I only have the second account as a backup just in case. Any thoughts on this? I know that I could use the other account, but that doesn't solve the problem. I am only working around it.

Comment

• bhoar
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2006

Perhaps the CD Ripper's saved configuration data in your primary account is referencing a local or network path that no longer exists?

-brendan

Comment

• gsx11
                • Dec 2008

I looked before I asked this. Where might a find a file like that. Without going into the details, I rebuilt a server, so paths did change. This seems like a path to pursue.

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gsx11
                  I looked before I asked this. Where might a find a file like that. Without going into the details, I rebuilt a server, so paths did change. This seems like a path to pursue.
                  Not sure.

Hmm, I think there's a sticky somewhere in the forums with a download you can run a full "clear" of all installation settings. It would, however, be like (or require) installing dbpa from scratch. All settings would be lost.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Follow the instructions here:

...also how to do a full reset of dBpoweramp? (if dBpoweramp crashes for some reason) Where does dBpoweramp save its files / settings? It is installed to c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp or c:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp The 64 bit version of dBpoweramp is installed to: c:\Program Files\dBpoweramp It

to totally clear all the settings, then reinstall.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• delta7
                      • Feb 2009

I wonder if there is any update to this problem because I have the exact same symtpoms. When I start CD Ripper it just hangs showing the hourglass; menus etc are unresponsive. The only way I can get out of CD Ripper is by re-setting the PC. I have not been able to use CD Ripper at all.

I am using the latest versions because I have only recently purchased the software (primarily to convert flac and ogg vorbis files to apple lossless) which works very well.

I have fully uninstalled the software, used the reset utility and then re-installed but it made no difference.

I am using XP SP3 (32bit) on a PC with an Intel core 2 Duo E6850, 4Gb RAM and Pioneer DVR-216 (SATA). The Pioneer DVD is working fine in other applications .. ripping to Itunes, playback of CD's in Media Player, writing with Nero etc.

I have disabled AnyDVD, anti-virus and firewall but that made no difference.

Any ideas?

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Try starting CD Ripper with no CD in the drive, is it responsive?
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• delta7
                          • Feb 2009

Hi,

The CD Ripper hangs both with a CD loaded and without a CD loaded.

I have also tried loading different CDs (all originals) without success.

The CD Ripper says it is 'Reading' yet the light on the DVD drive does not light up ....

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Do you have 2x DVD drives or just one?
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• texasflood
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by gsx11
                              After upgrading to 13.1 Reference, when I open CD Ripper, the application goes "Not Responding" and stays that way for 3-5 minutes. At that point, it unlocks and I can use it for a variable amount of time. Sometimes it is a few discs and sometimes it is hours. I have a quad core cpu, and when I am running multiple instances of the application, the cpus seem to all lock for contention between two instances of CD Ripper and stay at 0%. I eventually have to force CD Ripper down. I didn't have these problems with 13 and below. FYI, I am saving to a local disk, not a NAS or other type of server. Thoughts, suggestions?
                              I'm having the same problem you are though not to the extreme degree. When I open the program, about half the time it says "Not Responding". After the disc is inserted for about 30 seconds it starts to pull up the perfectmata data. Then when ripping, it hangs on the encoder, seemingly at random, for a few seconds up to several minutes. Did I mention I'm running VISTA?!

Comment

• bhoar
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by texasflood
                                I'm having the same problem you are though not to the extreme degree. When I open the program, about half the time it says "Not Responding". After the disc is inserted for about 30 seconds it starts to pull up the perfectmata data. Then when ripping, it hangs on the encoder, seemingly at random, for a few seconds up to several minutes. Did I mention I'm running VISTA?!
                                Regarding the insert delay: what drive and if external what type of connection and bridge?

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>