title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

CD Ripper Hang

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gsx11
    • Dec 2008

CD Ripper Hang

After upgrading to 13.1 Reference, when I open CD Ripper, the application goes "Not Responding" and stays that way for 3-5 minutes. At that point, it unlocks and I can use it for a variable amount of time. Sometimes it is a few discs and sometimes it is hours. I have a quad core cpu, and when I am running multiple instances of the application, the cpus seem to all lock for contention between two instances of CD Ripper and stay at 0%. I eventually have to force CD Ripper down. I didn't have these problems with 13 and below. FYI, I am saving to a local disk, not a NAS or other type of server. Thoughts, suggestions?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: CD Ripper Hang

See if your CD drive has switched to PIO mode: http://winhlp.com/node/10

Comment

• gsx11
      • Dec 2008

These are all SATA drives. ASUS (3), LG (1). I don't believe it applies here if I understand the technology. Again, the difference as far as I can tell is v13 vs.13.1. Nothing else has really changed on except the standard Windows security updates.

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gsx11
        These are all SATA drives. ASUS (3), LG (1). I don't believe it applies here if I understand the technology. Again, the difference as far as I can tell is v13 vs.13.1. Nothing else has really changed on except the standard Windows security updates.
        That depends what the SATA mode in the BIOS is set to. If Native, then you're using a SATA driver in windows and I believe you're safe. If not and you're running "IDE Emulation" or "Compatible" or several other names not called "Native", then you're using the IDE driver in windows and Windows may still fall through to low speed interrupt mode when dealing with bad discs or a misbehaving drive.

-brendan

Comment

• gsx11
          • Dec 2008

True SATA. However, I can't imagine that two different manufacturers and four different drives with four good condition CDs would all simultaneously hang the application. Especially when they never did this before. Then after some random period of time, each instance of the ripper unlocks in the order I started them. I was using the same hardware and ripping the same disks without issue prior to this.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Have you tried another Ripper to see how that responds to the drive?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gsx11
              • Dec 2008

No. Do you have any suggestions as to what other software to try? iTunes, WMP, or something else?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

WMP or Exact Audio Copy would be both good tests.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gsx11
                  • Dec 2008

I tested a CD using WMP. It worked. It is possible I didn't describe the issue well enough. I say this because you asked me to rip a CD with another application. As soon as I open CD Ripper, it immediately goes into a "Not Responding" state. The only thing it will allow me to do for several minutes is to minimize it. I cannot select a drive, it does not display anything. After a period of time, it unfreezes and from that point on, I am able to rip from all four of the drives simultaneously. I have tried only one instance of the application, but it does the same thing. Again, once the application unfreezes, it rips without issue. So my problem is not that I can't rip, it is that the application freezes for several minutes on opening.

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by gsx11
                    I tested a CD using WMP. It worked. It is possible I didn't describe the issue well enough. I say this because you asked me to rip a CD with another application. As soon as I open CD Ripper, it immediately goes into a "Not Responding" state. The only thing it will allow me to do for several minutes is to minimize it. I cannot select a drive, it does not display anything. After a period of time, it unfreezes and from that point on, I am able to rip from all four of the drives simultaneously. I have tried only one instance of the application, but it does the same thing. Again, once the application unfreezes, it rips without issue. So my problem is not that I can't rip, it is that the application freezes for several minutes on opening.
                    1. Does this happen both when there are audio CDs in the drives and when there are no discs at all in the drives?

2. Do you have CD-Text, CD-ISRC and/or CD-UPC enabled as meta data sources?

3. Do you have any virtual CD or virtual DVD software installed?

4. What is Communication set to? SCSI Pass Through (SPT)?

5. If you disable all metadata sources, configure the options to Burst, no AccurateRip, leave ripping speed at Maximum, set spin-up to none, spin-down to default, disable read into lead-in or lead-out, enable Prevent Auto-Run, enable Prevent Detection of Hidden first track...does the problem on startup go away?

-brendan

Comment

• gsx11
                      • Dec 2008

1. Does this happen both when there are audio CDs in the drives and when there are no discs at all in the drives?

-yes

2. Do you have CD-Text, CD-ISRC and/or CD-UPC enabled as meta data sources?

--no

3. Do you have any virtual CD or virtual DVD software installed?

--no

4. What is Communication set to? SCSI Pass Through (SPT)?

--not sure what this is, but if I don't know, I would have to guess the answer is no.

5. If you disable all metadata sources, configure the options to Burst, no AccurateRip, leave ripping speed at Maximum, set spin-up to none, spin-down to default, disable read into lead-in or lead-out, enable Prevent Auto-Run, enable Prevent Detection of Hidden first track...does the problem on startup go away?

--before I go to this extreme, can I ask where this is leading? Before I make all these changes, I would like to know what you think might be the problem. I would assume if it works after all this, then it must be "????" causing the problem. Would like to know what "????" is. Really the only change other than the normal Windows updates was when I when I went from 13 to 13.1. I can say with assurance that it worked after the Windows updates and before the 13.1 update.

Am I absolutely the only one having this issue? Am I to assume that everyone else that has it working correctly has done all items in #5 and then turns everything on after the application has started? I did not need to do this before. Sorry, but I am just a little confused and frankly frustrated.

Comment

• bhoar
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2006

I've never seen the issue before. I don't recall it being reported before either.

It seems to me to be *some* sort of communication between the software the drive is causing a hang. The options I pointed out were the ones that tend to create IO requests that are unusual, ones you typically would not see with day to day software, and that your drive, sata chipset or sata driver was having a problem with.

My suggestions were a general purpose troubleshooting request to see if the issue was related to a particular "special" thing that the cd ripper does. If the problem had gone away at any point, then we'd be able to track it down easier. If not, then I'd be leaning toward the problem not being an issue with the cd-ripper but elsewhere in the system.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Run dBpoweramp Configuration, enable the 'debug' option.

Start CD Ripper and whilst it is frozen open task manager (ctrl + alt + delete) and end task CD Ripper, straight away a log should be shown, post the log please.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gsx11
                            • Dec 2008

When I did exactly what you asked, the file was empty. I tried it again and I just let it sit until it finally unfroze. I then shut it down in the application. Here is what I got from the debug file.

Using SCSI PassThrough [clCDDA::SetCommunication]
                            ->-> [frmMain::RefreshTrackListing]
                            Quitting Meta Thread: Quit
                            ->-> [clCDDA::ReturnDriveList]
                            Got drive A:\ ** not CD Rom, type: 2 [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive C:\ ** not CD Rom, type: 3 [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive D:\ ** not CD Rom, type: 3 [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive E:\ ** not CD Rom, type: 3 [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive F:\ ** not CD Rom, type: 3 [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive G:\ CD ROM [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive H:\ CD ROM [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive I:\ CD ROM [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            Got drive J:\ CD ROM [cddaSCSIPassTru::FillDriveList]
                            <-<- [clCDDA::ReturnDriveList]
                            ->-> [clCDDA::ReadTOC]
                            LBA FirstIndex: 0 last Index: 0
                            Type: Audio Track 0 LBA Address: 0
                            MSF FirstIndex: 0 last Index: 0
                            Type: Audio Track 0 MSF: 0/0/0
                            <-<- [clCDDA::ReadTOC]
                            <-<- [frmMain::RefreshTrackListing]

BTW, I uninstalled 13.1 and reinstalled without any change. Also, previously I downloaded and installed the registered file a 2nd time, but there was no change then either.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

You have 4 CD drives? G H I J?
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>