title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

R13 error in Vista 64-bit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stealle
    • Apr 2008

R13 error in Vista 64-bit

I get the following error every time I start R13 on my Vista 64-Bit system:

"Unsupported 16-bit Application

The program feature "\??\C:\windows\Twunk\_16.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit version of Windows. Please contact the software vendor..."

After I close the error message, it seems that R13 is working but what about this error message? Is there a different download for a 64-bit version of R13? This is what I installed: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=14158
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: R13 error in Vista 64-bit

Sounds like a program is corrupted, nothing of ours is 16 bit. Run check disk, uninstall dbpoweramp and reinstall.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jsm
      • Apr 2008

Greetings Spoon,

I can confirm that I encounter the same error message. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64. I think this error message could have something to do with the scanning features of R13? Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that I have a scanner that has a x64 driver. wondering if stealle has a scanner also, or that this message is displayed regardless on x64 operating systems, namely Windows Vista Home Premium?

Kind regards,
      Jason.

Comment

• stealle
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jsm
        Greetings Spoon,

I can confirm that I encounter the same error message. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64. I think this error message could have something to do with the scanning features of R13? Perhaps it is also worth mentioning that I have a scanner that has a x64 driver. wondering if stealle has a scanner also, or that this message is displayed regardless on x64 operating systems, namely Windows Vista Home Premium?

Kind regards,
        Jason.
        I uninstalled all dbpoweramp components -> reboot -> re-installed everything. I still get the same error message everytime I launch dbpoweramp cd ripper.

I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I do have a Canon MP530 "all-in-one" printer/scanner/copier attached and installed with the correct 64-bit driver.

I have come to the same conclusion as Jason that dbpoweramp R13 is trying to setup its scanning features upon launching the program. I'm not saying that dbpoweramp installed the "C:\windows\Twunk\_16.exe". But I am saying that dbpoweramp must have looked for it and found it and tried to implement it.

I also have in my windows folder "C:\windows\Twunk\_32.exe" perhaps dbpoweramp could be instructed to find and use that instead???

Also, Jason, do you have Adobe CS3 and lightroom installed? I do. I found this when I googled the error message: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Twunk...r-t167351.html

I have come to the conclusion that "C:\windows\Twunk\_16.exe" is either installed by the Adobe CS3 products or my scanner driver. Strange thing is, the only time I see an error message is upon launching dbpoweramp.

I haven't tried to scan with dbpoweramp. It's a feature I probably wouldn't use. But, if Spoon would like me to try, I'd be happy to provide that information. (in a couple days when I get the chance)

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

We try to use Twain to access the scanners, so this msg is only shown when CD Ripper is launched?
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• stealle
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
            We try to use Twain to access the scanners, so this msg is only shown when CD Ripper is launched?
            That is correct. I've never had the error message aside from immediately after launching dB CD Ripper. I don't know if I can scan within CD Ripper. I haven't tried. I'm out of town for a couple days and can't currently try.

Comment

• OsoGrande
              • Jan 2008

Can confirm same error as well. Did not occur until installing R13 Reference, running Vista Ultimate x64. The error is associated with a call to a the 16-bit application Twunk.exe, which I believe is associated with scanning in Windows. Would make sense since you can now scan covers in from the Ripper. This DID NOT happen with R12.4, only once R13 was installed. Removing R13 and reinstalling R12.4 corrects the problem, but of course you can't scan covers now! Please advise.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Which scanner do you have OsoGrande?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• OsoGrande
                  • Jan 2008

I'm not sure if the scanner matters, but it's an HP PSC 2355.

Here's some additional info:

The specific error message from Vista is:
                  ==========
                  "Unsupported 16-Bit Application"
                  "The program or feature "\??\C:\Windows\Twunk_16.exe" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available."
                  ==========

If I try to scan from within the CD Ripper R13, it simply does nothing.
                  I can import cover art as a file (Which is GREAT btw!)

I only get this error when starting CD Ripper. I dismiss the error message and everything else seems to work fine.

Hope that helps!

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

I did some googling, perhaps a newer scanner driver will help?

-brendan

Comment

• Jeff Flowerday
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Mar 2008

I'm running Vista x64 and have a Canon 4400F and all is fine for me.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Jeff are you able to scan also?
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Teus de Jong
                          • Jun 2008

I have the same problem on Windows XP 32bits The error message is a bit different, but boils down to the same: the Win 16 subsystem cannot be loaded -- check if DOSX.EXE is installed and in your path). So it seems it has nothing to do with 64bits.

I found the following way to start dbPowerAmp 13 (it works but is very inconvenient):

1. Rename twunk_16.exe in the windows directory to e.g. twunk_16.ex.
                          2. Be quick as the devil and start dbPoweramp. You only have a very short time, because twunk_16.exe is automagically restored to the windows directory.

It looks like the only reason v13 does not start is because there is this file in the windows directory (apparently dbPoweramp checks for this?). If I get v13 started as described above, everything works as expected.

My scanner is a HP network scanner (Officejet 7310).

Teus

Added: According to HP I have the latest drivers for my scanner. (I admit the drivers are crap, but most of the time they work.)
                          Last edited by Teus de Jong; 06-05-2008, 03:31 PM. Reason: addition/correction

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

That file is Windows and how Windows runs 16 bit programs, we do not have any 16 bit programs, or even a method to create 16 bit (we use the latest MS compilers which cannot create 16 bit programs...) For R13.1 we will delay load the scanner stuff until it is actively requested.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Teus de Jong
                              • Jun 2008

Thanks Spoon, that should do the trick.

BTW, it was never my suggestion that the file was yours. As far as I know twunk_16.exe is delivered with the HP scanner, which is -- as I said before -- rather buggy. I just posted in the hope my observation could be of any help to pinpoint the problem.

Teus

Comment

Working...

]]>