title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

how do I get the correct folder/naming structure

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • broth420
    • Apr 2008

how do I get the correct folder/naming structure

I am so freaking lost on this stuff. I have been at it for two days trying to understand how it works, and each time I think I have it right, it doesn't work. Please help if you can.

I am trying to get my settings to do this:

on a non-compliation cd (example: AC/DC Back in Black), I would like the folders/files to look like this:

[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]

on a non-compliation cd with 2 or more volumes (example: The Allman Brothers Band - Dreams Box Set) I would like the folders/files to look like this:

[artist]\[album] [disc #]\[track] [title]

on compliation cd (example: City of Angels), I would like the folders/files to look like this:

Various Artists\[album]\[track] [title]

on compliation cd with two or more volumes (example: Have A Nice Day Box Set), I would like the folder/files to look like this:

Various Artists\[album] [disc #]\[track] [title]
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: how do I get the correct folder/naming structure

First, the long way:
    Code:
    [IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][IF!COMP][artist]\[album][IFMULTI] disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]
    Then the more advanced short way, which results in the same thing:
    Code:
    [IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]
    Try that, it should work how you want it to.

Comment

• broth420
      • Apr 2008

Thanks very much. That seemed to do the trick, although I haven't tested on a various artists cd.

Comment

• Action
        • Oct 2007

Five questions, one of which is related to this specific topic.

1. Using the beta version with the batch ripper, is there a way to rip both an MP3 set of files AND a FLAC set of files using the same naming convention but placed in differing folders?

2. Can I ask you to give me the best way to get a variance on the above naming structure? I'm looking to do the exact same thing except I also want the date and genre listed. I am also interested in getting the artist listed on the compiliations and using the slimserver tools to either include it or exclude it from being displayed. Would you recommend any other forms of data to be included?

3. Assuming that the above tagging routine covered 80% of my needs, how would you recommend tagging classical selections in the same library?

4. I've noticed variation in Artist vs. Album Artist listings. Things like Wings Greatest Hits has two Artists listed (Paul McCartney, Paul McCartney and Wings) so if batch ripped it goes to Various Artists but the Album Artist is a single artist which gives me a better tag. Is it better to use one over the other? Does it make sense to somehow compare these two fields and select one if they disagree?

5. How would I batch attach unfound album art to ripped items?

I'm getting ready to rerip my entire library of ~500 discs as I screwed up the tagging ~3 years ago when I last did it and I have both better tools and better drives now...

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

1. Use [Multi-Encoder] from Codec Central

You can add \[genre]\[year]\ also to naming.

The default naming string uses album artist if present, if not then artist.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Action
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Spoon
            1. Use [Multi-Encoder] from Codec Central

You can add \[genre]\[year]\ also to naming.

The default naming string uses album artist if present, if not then artist.
            I'm still a bit confused. If I use the above tagging scheme and just add \[genre]\[year] in each area, I will also end up with album artist if present vs artist? What if I truly wanted artist vs. album artist? In a various artist naming scheme as shown above, there is artist tucked away somewhere in the tag? I'm not seeing it...

Argh! This is SO confusing.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Post your current naming scheme and what you want it to look like and I should be able to modify it to what you want.

Comment

• Action
                • Oct 2007

Shamelessly copying the above, I am trying to get my settings to do this:

on a non-compliation cd (example: AC/DC Back in Black), I would like the folders/files to look like this:

[artist]\[album]\[track] [title] [genre] [year]

on a non-compliation cd with 2 or more volumes (example: The Allman Brothers Band - Dreams Box Set) I would like the folders/files to look like this:

[artist]\[album] [disc #]\[track] [title] [genre] [year]

on compliation cd (example: City of Angels), I would like the folders/files to look like this:

Various Artists\[album]\[track] [title] [track artist] [genre] [year]

on compliation cd with two or more volumes (example: Have A Nice Day Box Set), I would like the folder/files to look like this:

Various Artists\[album] [disc #]\[track] [title] [track artist] [genre] [year]

I'm still concerned about the album artist vs. the artist. I want to use whichever is the most consistent and yeilds the fewest various artist solutions. I return back to the Wings Greatest Hits being listed as a various artist album in the artist section due to some tracks being listed as Paul McCartney and others being listed as Paul McCartney and Wings. In the album artist field it lists it as a single artist, however I am not sure which field is the most reliable...

Does this make sense?

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

First, to use album artist instead of artist, replace every [artist] with "[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]", as I have done below.

Alright, try this on for size:
                  Code:
                  [IFCOMP]Various Artists\[album][IFMULTI] [disc][]\[track] [title] [artist] [genre] [year][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] [disc][]\[track] [title] [genre] [year][]
                  Does that work like you want?

Comment

• Action
                    • Oct 2007

Just a quick question before I put it to the test, is album artist the typical useage? Should this yeild more single artist results? How does this typically affect compilations? I'm not familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of the various databases and various tags..

Comment

• Hyde
                      • Jun 2008

Having similar naming issues myself.

The default for CD ripping I have currently from v13 is

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title][]

which gives me...
                      Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1\Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden, Disc 1 Disc 1 - 02 - How Long

whereas, what I'd like is...
                      Eagles\Long Road Out of Eden - Disc 1\Eagles - Long Road Out of Eden - Disc 1 - 02 - How Long

Can anyone tell me please which bits of that huge string I need to cut out the commas from and omit the duplicate disk reference?
                      Last edited by Hyde; 06-30-2008, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Hyde
                        • Jun 2008

Hmmm, just edited that string with the use 'current CD meta' option and thought I'd achieved what I was after. I edited that string to be...

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist - [album artist] - Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist - [album artist] - [artist][]\[album]\[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] [] - [track] - [title][]

and found that the remaining comma was actually contained in the album title, so that was easy to convert to a dash. But after the rip I actually get...

\Long Road Out of Eden - Disc 1

So now it's missing the Artist from the folder name.

Perhaps I should be patient and wait for someone who knows what they're doing

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Use:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][]\[track] [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[artist] - [album][] - [track] - [title][]

(nb this is default in R13.1)
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Hyde
                            • Jun 2008

Cheers I'll give that a go over the weekend. Sorry, would have responded sooner, but I didn't get an email response that this thread had been updated :confused:

Just to add that I also got a really odd issue with ripping a classical music 2 disk CD set.

Disk 1 was ripped as I'd expect...

\Various Artists\Album Name\[various artists] [album name] [disk n] [track n] [title]

But Disk 2 ripped as...

\Various Artists\Album Name\[disk n] [track n] [title]

Or, if I unticked the compilation check box I got...

\Artist x\Album Name\[various artists] [album name] [disk n] [track n] [title]
                            \Artist y\Album Name\[various artists] [album name] [disk n] [track n] [title]
                            \Artist z\Album Name\[various artists] [album name] [disk n] [track n] [title]
                            etc.
                            etc. for each track on the CD.

Why would I get different results from the same two disk set?

Cheers.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Compilation cds should not really have an album artist (of various artists).
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>