title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Lost My dBpoweramp Configuration file

Lost My dBpoweramp Configuration file

I have an older version of dBpoweramp and suddenly I've lost the right click to convert feature. As I understand it, that feature is part of the dBpoweramp Configuration folder. I checked and mine is now EMPTY. I have no idea what happened to cause it to disappear.

My version is 4.2.1.0. Can anyone tell me where I can pick up that particular conversion file - or any file that will work with my version? Without that right click conversion feature, it's a real drag.

Thanks.

Re: Lost My dBpoweramp Configuration file

That is old.

What do you mean when you state that Configuration is empty? Can you not find it or can you locate and open it but the window is blank, or what?

Can you access this by Start> All Programs> dBpowerAMP Music Converter> Configuration> dBpowerAMP Music Converter Configuration?

If you right click on an audio file, what options DO you have for the file?
    Do you have an option for Open with... and can you browse and open the file with dMC from there?

Best wishes,
    Bill

Hi, Bill!

I mean when I accessed my dBpoweramp files through the Programs route you described and opened my dBpoweramp music converter configuration folder there were no files in it. Empty.

Now when I right click on a song file, I get no "convert to" option. All I get for options are the ususal: Play, Add to WMP list, Open With, etc. I guess my dBpoweramp music converter configuration files have been wiped out.

I can still run dmc by opening it, clicking on Open, browsing to locate the song file I want, and then opening it & converting it, but that's the long way around. Yeah, I'm lazy I guess, but I've grown so used to the convenience of being able to right click on a song file and convert with dmc.

Thanks for taking an interest.

Regards.

Bob

If you don't have a shortcut to "dBpoweramp Configuration" and are using dMC r12, just make a shortcut to dbconfig.exe in the dMC install folder.
    If you are using dMC r11.5 or older, you need to make a shorcut to musicconverter.exe and add <config> after the whole path and after the quotes.

Hi, LTDATA,

Thanks for the input!

I have a desktop shortcut to dmc & to the ripper, but I don't have any dBpoweramp music converter configuration files. The folder is empty - wiped out by some occurrence or other. Eveything else about dmc and the dmc audio input ripper seems to work okay. The right click convert option seems to be the only feature missing and I assume that's because the config files have been wiped out.

I like the old version and would like to keep it working, but if I can't restore the right click 'convert to' feature, I may have to rethink.

Regards.

Bob

My post directs you on how to get back the "dMC Configuration" you had in the start menu folder of your older version so we can try to get the right-click convert back.

The dMC configuration details will be stored in the registry. I assume that something has disabled the shell extensions that add the right-click options. There is a free program ShellEx (I think) that allows you to manually disable shell extensions, handy if you do not want WMP options appearing

The missing files you refer to are the start menu shortcuts that allows you to run the dMC Configuration program to re-enable them.

Thanks for the insight, Wayne. I think I understand more clearly what has happened. It may have happened when I downloaded a trial version of the version 12 last month. In any case, I appreciate the response from you others much. I'm still working on restoring it - if possible.

Regards

Bob

For what it's worth, I believe that the version number you quoted in your first post refers to the version number for the shell extension .dll. I believe that you may have dMC r10 (the last one with free .MP3 encoding).
    In any case, if your problem is related to an install of dMC r12+, you may want to look at this FAQ from LtData which appears to be related to what you're talking about here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13077 and also at the general r12 compatibility note here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm.

It looks like the installation of r12 effectively transferred the shell extension options (including right-click convert to) to dMC r12. While it is possible to have dMC r12+ and dMC r11.5 or earlier installed on the same system, I don't think you can have right-click convert to for both versions at once. I have tried using the right-click open with option but this is a little bothersome since you then have to browse to the file(s) you are trying to convert.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

I think you are exactly right, Bill!

After reading the info LTDATA posted (which you referred me to) and also visiting the other link page, I am sure I didn't have verison 4.2.1, but rather version 10. I know I kept pretty current on updates up until about then. However, the only notation I could find in my files was the version 4.2.1.0, which as you say, was probably the shell version identifier.

The problem I've experienced occurred after installing the version 12 and later uninstalling it. So I guess I cooked my own goose without even knowing it. Too bad. I really enjoyed the version 10 but wanted to take a look at 12. Sorry I did. My fault. :cry:

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Best regards.

Bob

By the way, my comment that I was sorry I tried V12 doesn't mean I didn't like it. It's obviously improved in many respects. In fact I may well install it permanently in the near future. I've been using dBpoweramp for at least 7 years and we've become mighty good friends. I just meant I had no problems with V10 and by messing around, I messed it up somewhat. However, it's still very usable without the right click "convert to" feature.

Is the V12 mp3 license fee a one time charge or an annual renewal type of arrangement?

Regards.

Bob

If you buy the Powerpack, it is a one-time charge. If you get Reference, there is a small fee for major version upgrades (r12.x to r13) but minor versions are free (r12.2 to r12.3).

Thanks, LTDATA. I appreciate the info. (I saw your cross reference comment on my other post also.)

Regards.

Bob