title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Batch Ripper: Media Changer Loader (Sony XL1B) Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Batch Ripper: Media Changer Loader (Sony XL1B) Discussions

For discussions of Media Changers, such as Sony XL1B(1/2/3), PowerFile Loaders and any other Media Changer recognised as such in Windows XP/Vista.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Batch Ripper: Media Changer Loader (Sony XL1B) Discussions

A Big Thanks go to Steven & Brendan who made support for this AutoLoader possible.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

My Testing:

Sony XL1B3 in Windows Vista, supplied software (with unit) would not install (said requires Vista, is Vista Ultimate, go figure), seems to work fine without the software. Windows Vista would have difficuilties finding the unit sometimes (it would have the yellow i in device manager, uninstalling the drivers x2, unplugging changer and replugging in and it works).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• peterfs
        • Oct 2007

I'm using a Sony XL1B on Windows XP Pro SP2. I've ripped about 70 CD's in two batches and it's been working great!

One issue is that it doesn't detect the end of the batch, so once it's ripped all the CD's, it starts over from the beginning. It's not a big thing to cancel the current disc and end the batch.

There are a couple of small nits on the GUI: I'd like to see the per-disc rip time in the notes and results pane, and it would be convenient to have a horizontal scroll bar for the upper results pane (the one showing current status).

But those are very small nits compared to the value of the program. This is great work, thanks!

Comment

• Spies
          • Aug 2006

Spoon, any secure ripper options recommendations for the XL1B?

Here are the features that are being reported in dBpoweramp:
          Manufacturer: MATSHITA
          CD Drive: DVD-RAM SW-9584
          Firmware: B100
          Serial: 03/25/05BSP9A
          Maximum Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
          Current Speed: 7056 KB/sec (x40)
          Spin-down After: 8 minutes
          Buffer Size: 2 MB
          Accurate Stream: Yes
          C2 Error Pointers: Yes
          Reads ISRC: Yes
          Reads UPC: Yes

The first issue I have run into is that I can't seem to get reliable drive read cache detection. Some times it reports 4 kb while other times it reports 0. Which one is it?

The second thing is even though C2 is reported as available, activating C2 does not work at all. Is this a limitation of the XL1B interface?

From what I can tell the option Read into Lead-in or Lead-out is not supported on this drive, is this correct?

Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Sony are doing wierd things with the Firewire on that system, many times in Vista you would get 2 firewire devices and it would not work correctly, whereas when it was working there was only 1. Now obviously there are 2 devices there and sony are combining them, so it is no surprise that the c2 is not working. Also according to sony only the closest device to the computer can rip audio (if using more than one).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spies
              • Aug 2006

I have yet to see any issues that you describe on XP and I am in no hurry to upgrade to Vista on this system.

I just happen to have two XL1Bs and Sony is correct, you can't rip from more then one changer. It seems all the disc change and rip commands only go to the first changer with the lowest serial number, bummer! If one tries with more then one changer hooked up with dBpoweramp it simply does not work. Well one changer is better then no changers!

Any thoughts on the read cache?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Does the 2nd changer load correctly with dBpoweramp? You might be able to open up the unit and run a firewire cable to a own installed IDE >> Firewire bridge board, just for the drive. Saying that I have not seen the internals of the unit, do at your on risk.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                  Does the 2nd changer load correctly with dBpoweramp? You might be able to open up the unit and run a firewire cable to a own installed IDE >> Firewire bridge board, just for the drive. Saying that I have not seen the internals of the unit, do at your on risk.
                  From what I understand from others who have done hardware experiments with this unit, the changer portion does need to communicate via firewire to the drive, so the need to be on the same firewire bus.

-brendan

Comment

• dingfod
                    • Jan 2008

I'm a registered Reference user and very interested in ripping via changer. eBay is drawing $270+ (including shipping) for these units, which seems high (another thread here recommended sub-$200). Is there an equivalent Sony changer model that isn't out of production and works with Batch Ripper?

I've searched Amazon, pricegrabber.com, froogle.com, and others to no avail.

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dingfod
                      I'm a registered Reference user and very interested in ripping via changer. eBay is drawing $270+ (including shipping) for these units, which seems high (another thread here recommended sub-$200). Is there an equivalent Sony changer model that isn't out of production and works with Batch Ripper?

I've searched Amazon, pricegrabber.com, froogle.com, and others to no avail.
                      As far as I am aware, all of the XL1B units (XL1B,XL1B2,XL1B3 which are all the same hardware) are all out of production. The sub-$200 prices were always firesales when businesses stopped carrying them (or lucky ebay purchases), except for when sony ceased production, there was a week or two where they could be found from one retailer for $99. IIRC, the original manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) was $799.

My suggestion: create a "favorite" (automatic search -> results via email) on ebay and just be patient...add found units to your watch list...then snipe the lowest-priced auctions near the end.

I am not sure why these are no longer being produced and have two theories: a) sony wants to move to a blu-ray unit and release of that is pending the equivalent Sony-based Window Media Center platform (an XL1A4, if they continue with the naming scheme) that will have blu-ray support before releasing the blu-ray slave changer unit or b) too many complaints of hardware reliability problems.

An alternate plan, if you have lots and lots of patience and don't explicitly need a changer, is to keep an eye open for either an amtren elitemicro or a discmakers elitemicro or microultra unit. They are 75-disc robots (60-disc if older models), not changers, that list in the $700 to $1100 range. I've picked up three of them over the past couple of years for ~$200 each via ebay (and I've also let several more slip by due to the bidding going over my limit). A bonus, unlike the changers, is that they can separate rejects from completed discs.

-brendan
                      Last edited by bhoar; 01-06-2008, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• dingfod
                        • Jan 2008

Thanks for the response, Brendan.

I just found a XL1B2 for ~$170 shipped. Are the differences between the three units (1B, 1B2, and 1B3) significant enough to focus on 1B3's?

Sony's site leaves something to be desired here. It's messy.

Comment

• dingfod
                          • Jan 2008

(I had posted my response above before seeing your edit, Brendan)

With respect to robotics - Do these devices work in conjunction with an existing CD-ROM or do they have their own?

Is it Batch Ripper that has the smarts to separate successful rips from those that fail or does this have to do with the robots?

If I'm using the Sony, will I have to grep all the ripping logs to determine which discs passed and failed?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• bhoar
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2006

Thanks for the response, Brendan.

I just found a XL1B2 for ~$170 shipped. Are the differences between the three units (1B, 1B2, and 1B3) significant enough to focus on 1B3's?

Sony's site leaves something to be desired here. It's messy.
                            As I said above, all three are the same.

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

1. With respect to robotics - Do these devices work in conjunction with an existing CD-ROM or do they have their own?

2. Is it Batch Ripper that has the smarts to separate successful rips from those that fail or does this have to do with the robots?

3. If I'm using the Sony, will I have to grep all the ripping logs to determine which discs passed and failed?
                              1. They have their own, often replaceable.

2, The batch ripper decides. The changers provide no separation capability. Almost all robots do.

3. Yes, but via the GUI.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>