title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Researching lossless compressed size.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MelM
    • Sep 2007

Researching lossless compressed size.

Well, it took some effort (considerable effort) to get the tagging the way I wanted it but I finally got my 192 CDs into a WavPack archive and from there into iTunes and my new 160GB ipod (using the dBpoweramp ripper and batch converter).

What surprised me was that the whole 192 CDs (mostly classical) only used 50.79GB on my ipod even using Apple Lossless. At that rate, I figure that I can get around 560 CDs in the 148.79GB of usable capacity.

A month or so before the 160GB ipod was announced, I had estimated that I probably would not be able to get my collection on an 80GB device. So, I was very happy when the 160GB was announced; problem solved!

But, I'm asking myself about why I was so wrong in my estimation. I had looked around the web for help in estimating space requirements but found only one site with some real test data even though the test used only 10 CDs of which only one was a classical. The one classical CD compressed (@300,000B) way lower than the rest but I discounted that and went with the average for the rest which was around 424,000B. I'm thinking that I should have taken the one classical CD in the test more seriously but, when I look back, I don't know how I could have done anything differently considering the lack of test results and appropriate conclusions. Truely, as these ipod type devices go up in capacity, more people are going to be considering putting very large collections on them. But, how are they going to decide what size device to buy or whether or not their collections will fit on any current device? I see little research that will support such decisions. If you know of some, I'd sure appreciate a link.
Working...

]]>