title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterfs
    • Oct 2007

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

With the latest update of the batch ripper, I'm getting "(never)" for all the album title on all discs. All other track and album information appear correct. When I open the disc with the regular CD ripper, all information appears correct.

I'm enabling both All Media Guide and freedb for meta-data, but no other changes to the defaults for meta providers. I'm using the medium changer profile for a Sony XL1B.

Is there some config option I'm missing?

Thanks,
    - peter

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

re nakamichi drives:

If they are so old then possibly modern programs cannot rip using MMC.

-------
      re Peter: fixed in Beta 2
      Last edited by Spoon; 12-08-2007, 08:46 PM.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• peterfs
        • Oct 2007

Thanks. Looks like if I have freedb selected it works okay. Is there a qualitative downside to using freedb or should I wait for AMG support in beta 2?

Comment

• EliC
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

freedb is not working in the batch ripper yet, is it? At least its not on mine Beta1

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
            re nakamichi drives:

If they are so old then possibly modern programs cannot rip using MMC.
            It's possible they don't do mmc...I don't know.

If you can devise a quick plscsi test to test for core mmc commands, I can arrange some time to put together a scsi-connected system to perform it on.

But I get the feeling you're implying that it is not worth the time.

-brendan
            Last edited by bhoar; 12-08-2007, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

@bhoar - use the normal cd ripper, also try the old plextor read d8 mode (options >> communication).

------------------------
              @peterfs - beta2 fixes the problem completely, it was uploaded a few hors ago.

------------------------
              > freedb is not working in the batch ripper yet, is it? At least its not on mine Beta1

Yes it works, the last few days freedb have changed server IP addresses and many people cannot connect.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• peterfs
                • Oct 2007

Thanks Spoon, I'm getting Album titles now when I check All Media Guide as an active provider.

Regarding the qualitative differences with freedb, I noticed that album art was not available on the discs I was ripping using freedb. But my original question was more in regards to the accuracy of track listings and other meta-data. I've noticed inconsistent standards for information from e.g. Gracenote, probably because the information is user-supplied and I assume unverified.

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
                  @bhoar - use the normal cd ripper, also try the old plextor read d8 mode (options >> communication).
                  Oh yeah, duh. Why do things the hard way, right?

Test complete. The nakamichi MJ-5.16 (SCSI) changer worked fine with the CD ripper set to the normal settings. Just pick the drive letter and rip.

I was getting ~4.0x extraction (seemed constant, probably CLV). For my test, I connected mine via a rather slow SCSI connection, as I used a Microtech USB 1.1 -> SCSI bridge cable - perhaps the device is capable of faster?

---

Batch ripper: if you only load one disc in the unit, it doesn't work with the batch ripper as a manual drive. This is even if you only select a single drive letter in the batch ripper. It spends most of the time in post-load, and then times out and tries load, then goes back to post-load. Not sure what the issue is there.

What I think would be initially necessary to make multiple slots work with the batch ripper, at least in terms of batch flow, is below. Context: most people using these with Ripstastic! used several of these units on the same SCSI chain, so the idea is to get several working at once - the point wasn't speed so much as it was to just load 35 discs and go. However, with the dbpa batch ripper, speed improvements could be seen.

In other words, a "single device at a time" mode for the batch ripper wouldn't allow more than one unit to work at once, so that's not what I recommend. It'd be nice to get more than one device (but only one slot per device) working at a time.

a) the unit probably needs a bit of settle time after the five discs are loaded, as it actually spins up each and caches the TOC and some other info from each disc so as to reduce unnecessary disc swaps.

b) it would probably be best to leave all insert/eject (or tray open/close) actions to the operator. when you eject a disc it just sticks the edge out...if you programmatically eject another disc in the same unit while a disc is sitting there, nothing happens.

c) the cd ripper should be locked out of reading a disc in any drive letter mapped to the same unit (ID) if any other disc/slot (LUN) is in use. if I were going for the quick implementation, I'd have the load/unload/reject commands coordinate and prioritize by keeping track of which LUN is currently in use for the device's SCSI ID and not allowing load to exit to the batch ripper until it is time for the associated LUN to run. Perhaps after all five slots are processed, eject the lowest LUN to alert the operator that it is time to swap all five discs? Not sure what the signal should be to the batch ripper that all five were swapped.

d) dbpoweramp currently seems to require drive letters for all drives. this limits you to a maximum of five nakamichi units usable at once.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

-brendan

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

FreeDB doesn't support album art, you can only get that from AMG.

Comment

• peterfs
                      • Oct 2007

I'm noticing that none of the CD's ripped using the batch ripper are reported to be in the AccurateRip database, yet they appear to be when using the CD ripper directly. Is this expected? [correction - some of the CD's do appear to be in AccurateRip but there are inconsistencies between the batch and CD ripper]

Also, I've noticed I'm getting different meta-data results with the batch ripper than I am with the CD ripper. For example, when I use the batch ripper I get a CD result showing the album as part of a box set but when using the CD ripper I get the correct album title.

On a related point, what is the best way to update or correct meta-data information? I can change information manually but I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for a more automated way to change disc related information, e.g. modifying tags, renaming directories and downloading new album art. Ideally this would be something like re-ripping the discs without transferring content.
                      Last edited by peterfs; 12-09-2007, 08:42 PM. Reason: Corrected some information

Comment

• okrachokra
                        • Dec 2007

Thanks for all the stuff you have written for the Nakamichi drives Brendan!

And I can confirm all that you have written about it ( I do see the drives fine if I map it to lettered drives ( ie E: , F: etc ).

Spoon: Any thoughts on whether this will be supportable. Specifically if drives mounted to files on the filesystem ( and not lettered drives ) will be recognized; and if some form of serial ripping ( on drive at a time or even better as Brendan suggested only multiple sets of CD drives at a time - in my setup it would mean 7 rip jobs in parallel as I have a 7 set of 5-CD changers in the tower.)

I for one would be very grateful if you do. I was using riptastic but find the dbPowerAmp far superior for the fact that it does support ripping to Apple Lossless ( Riptastic does not ) and that you use the AMG data base - free cddb ( which Riptastic uses ) is great, but does have tons of errors and cleaning it up is a real pain.

Thanks all

Comment

• peterfs
                          • Oct 2007

I'm seeing something weird with the metadata handling this afternoon (12/9). I needed to re-rip a couple of CD's and they're ripping without album art and some of the track names have changed from the previous run; it appears that AMG access is not working where it did before. When I disable freedb lookup as an active meta-data provider, the discs are getting rejected as having no meta-data. The same disc works as expected using CD ripper.

I'm using ethereal to analyze the network traffic and I see access to dmr.allmusic.com from the CD ripper but not when using the batch ripper. From the batch ripper I see access to dbpoweramp.com and an IP address that's not resolving to a meaningful domainname (195.214.216.38). Anybody know what's going on?

Comment

• CBQ
                            • Dec 2007

I think I may have posted this question in the wrong thread. :(

Reposting it here.

Spoon listed experimental support for the Rimage DTP. I think those came in two different models. One model had a SCSI interface and the other model was Firewire (with a serial port maybe?).

Is the experimental support for both models or just one?

Also curious about multiple robots connected to one system. I have seen Brendan's youtube video and it is amazing. Kudos Brendan.

Are there any limitations on multiple robots connected to one computer? Can I connect two USB robots, and one SCSI robot, and two Firewire robots to the same computer?

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance,
                            CBQ

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by CBQ
                              I think I may have posted this question in the wrong thread. :(
                              I responded to the original post...

(for implemetation into dBpoweramp Batch Ripper). Here is the place to mention the automated loader you have, and any known technical details on driving the loader.

-brendan
                              Last edited by bhoar; 12-10-2007, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

@peterfs - AMG is limited to 400 loopups, once over that it will disable AMG. We are hoping to add commercial AMG support (pay per lookup) soon.
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>