title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

When the drive letters got incorrectly mapped, did you go into the batch ripper configuration screen, click Edit on the incorrectly Configured Drives and then click Set Drive as Unconfigured? That's how you fix that problem.

-brendan

Comment

• computer-girl
      • Dec 2008

I did that, but Unload is still hanging.

Originally posted by bhoar
      When the drive letters got incorrectly mapped, did you go into the batch ripper configuration screen, click Edit on the incorrectly Configured Drives and then click Set Drive as Unconfigured? That's how you fix that problem.

-brendan

Comment

• sredmyer
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2008

bhoar...Is this device supported?

Brendan,

Is the Mediatechnics model "Impact dp-400" supported by the Batch Ripper using your drivers? If so what is your opinion of this particular device as a automated ripper?

Thanks,

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by computer-girl
          I did that, but Unload is still hanging.
          Well, I'm out of ideas. It was working and now it isn't. Start from scratch on another machine?

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

Re: bhoar...Is this device supported?

Originally posted by sredmyer
            Is the Mediatechnics model "Impact dp-400" supported by the Batch Ripper using your drivers? If so what is your opinion of this particular device as a automated ripper?
            I have a couple of these old horses stowed in the basement, but haven't tested them with the batch ripper. If I remember correctly, these are self-contained duplicators running an embedded DOS environment, headless. If you wanted to get it to work, you'd need to convert these into a peripheral for a windows machine, which means externalizing the serial connection to the robot controller and adding bridge boards for all the drives. They are probably SCSI drives, so you'd probably also need to upgrade all the drives as well to physically compatible ones. And finally, the picker is a bit old school and was developed when drives, or more specifically trays, were heavier duty than contemporary drives are...it comes down a bit hard on the trays before the tray detect switch tells the motor to stop.

With that said, it probably works with my One-bank/multiple-drives driver, but note that is not free (it is priced per drive).

-brendan

Comment

• sredmyer
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • May 2008

Re: bhoar...Is this device supported?

I have a couple of these old horses stowed in the basement, but haven't tested them with the batch ripper. If I remember correctly, these are self-contained duplicators running an embedded DOS environment, headless. If you wanted to get it to work, you'd need to convert these into a peripheral for a windows machine, which means externalizing the serial connection to the robot controller and adding bridge boards for all the drives. They are probably SCSI drives, so you'd probably also need to upgrade all the drives as well to physically compatible ones. And finally, the picker is a bit old school and was developed when drives, or more specifically trays, were heavier duty than contemporary drives are...it comes down a bit hard on the trays before the tray detect switch tells the motor to stop.

With that said, it probably works with my One-bank/multiple-drives driver, but note that is not free (it is priced per drive).

-brendan
              Sounds like a bit more in depth than I care to go with it. So I guess I will just skip this one.

Thanks for the info,

Comment

• computer-girl
                • Dec 2008

Thanks, Brendan.

I have performed a clean install of XP, & dBPoweramp. I am in the process of configuring the PX-230A and PX-708A & testing them out. I will then create a system Image (True Image). I will then install the Kodak Kiosk, configure it, test it & then Image the system again. From there, if I run into anymore problems, I will have the option of troubleshooting (preferred) or restoring the system to its properly working state.

Well, I'm out of ideas. It was working and now it isn't. Start from scratch on another machine?

-brendan

Comment

• computer-girl
                  • Dec 2008

Am I required to use Burst mode for the Kiosk rather than Secure? I have read in the forums that someone recommended that Secure ripping should NOT be used on USB drives.

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by computer-girl
                    Am I required to use Burst mode for the Kiosk rather than Secure? I have read in the forums that someone recommended that Secure ripping should NOT be used on USB drives.
                    No. You may use Secure ripping.

The dbpoweramp USB issue, now fixed, was specific to C2 flags, which are only available for use in Secure mode. So, it wasn't secure mode per se, but the use of C2 flags that was at issue.

While C2 flags are optional, they are recommended if the drive supports them well. The Teac CD-W552DA drive in the Kodak units does, indeed, support C2 flags very well.

For 13.1 Spoon made several changes to the buffer-handling to better handle finicky bridge chipsets and certain other issues for both USB and Firewire. Now C2 works well over almost all USB and Firewire bridges (the Sony XL1B bridge being a notable exception).

Summary: with the Kodak unit, you will get the best results by enabling Secure ripping, setting the cache to 0, enabling C2 pointers and disabling the cache clear (since the drive doesn't accept the cache clear command, but that's moot anyway as the audio cache is 0 bytes anyway). The rest of the secure ripping configuration depends purely on your needs, so read up on how to configure secure ripping.

-brendan

Comment

• computer-girl
                      • Dec 2008

Great! Thanks for the additional info.

No. You may use Secure ripping.

The dbpoweramp USB issue, now fixed, was specific to C2 flags, which are only available for use in Secure mode. So, it wasn't secure mode per se, but the use of C2 flags that was at issue.

While C2 flags are optional, they are recommended if the drive supports them well. The Teac CD-W552DA drive in the Kodak units does, indeed, support C2 flags very well.

For 13.1 Spoon made several changes to the buffer-handling to better handle finicky bridge chipsets and certain other issues for both USB and Firewire. Now C2 works well over almost all USB and Firewire bridges (the Sony XL1B bridge being a notable exception).

Summary: with the Kodak unit, you will get the best results by enabling Secure ripping, setting the cache to 0, enabling C2 pointers and disabling the cache clear (since the drive doesn't accept the cache clear command, but that's moot anyway as the audio cache is 0 bytes anyway). The rest of the secure ripping configuration depends purely on your needs, so read up on how to configure secure ripping.

-brendan

Comment

• computer-girl
                        • Dec 2008

I did a clean install of XP & Illustrate on my Quad core system.
                        I was able to successfully rip from my PX-230A and PX-708A. I was unable to successfully rip or batch rip from the Kodak Kiosk this time, though I was able to get it to work before the clean install. Unfortunately, I don't remember the settings I used as it was the first time loading the app. I tried about 10 different disks, all clean, unscratched, and capable of being ripped on the Plextors. Here is my logfile for one disc. I did notice that the only tracks that could be ripped by the Teac were tracks that were very brief (for example, 45 secs. long.

NOTE: Mark Track as Error if Insecure is UNCHECKED.

Perhaps my settings are wrong?

I don't have another system to try this out on at this time.

computer-girl

-----------------

dBpoweramp Release 13.1 Digital Audio Extraction Log from Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:34 PM

Drive & Settings
                        ----------------

Ripping with drive 'H: [TEAC - CD-W552DA ]', Drive offset: 6, Overread Lead-in/out: No
                        AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: Yes, Cache: None, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
                        Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
                        Ultra:: Vary Drive Speed: No, Min Passes: 1, Max Passes: 6, Finish After Clean Passes: 1
                        Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 50

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-5 -verify

Extraction Log
                        --------------

Track 1: ERROR Ripping LBA 32 to 15955 (3:32) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 01 - Back from the Dead.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 916 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 15955)

Track 2: ERROR Ripping LBA 15955 to 32740 (3:43) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 02 - I'm a Swing It.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 16371 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 32740)

Track 3: ERROR Ripping LBA 32740 to 39210 (1:26) in 0:03. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 03 - All That.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 35522 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 39210)

Track 4: ERROR Ripping LBA 39210 to 56375 (3:48) in 0:03. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 04 - On Point.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 42356 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 56375)

Track 5: ERROR Ripping LBA 56375 to 71180 (3:17) in 0:04. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 05 - Runnin' Up on Ya'.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 61471 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 71180)

Track 6: ERROR Ripping LBA 71180 to 87105 (3:32) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 06 - Over There Shit.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 73000 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 87105)

Track 7: ERROR Ripping LBA 87105 to 105270 (4:02) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 07 - Word Is Bond.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 88977 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 105270)

Track 8: ERROR Ripping LBA 105270 to 122132 (3:44) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 08 - Keep It Comin'.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 106726 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 122132)

Track 9: Ripped LBA 122132 to 125547 (0:45) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 09 - Interlude.flac
                        AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 11) [Pass 1]
                        CRC32: F0D2A88A AccurateRip CRC: 0FDBE1C9 [DiscID: 015-001a9f6e-012dfa20-bd0b930f-9]

Track 10: ERROR Ripping LBA 125547 to 141135 (3:27) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 10 - Same as It Ever Was.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 126821 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 141135)

Track 11: ERROR Ripping LBA 141135 to 156720 (3:27) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 11 - It Ain't a Crime.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 141993 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 156720)

Track 12: ERROR Ripping LBA 156720 to 174905 (4:02) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 12 - Where I'm From.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 157760 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 174905)

Track 13: ERROR Ripping LBA 174905 to 187937 (2:53) in 0:02. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 13 - Still Got a Lotta Love.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 176725 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 187937)

Track 14: ERROR Ripping LBA 187937 to 206262 (4:04) in 0:01. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 14 - Who's the Man¿.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 188587 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 206262)

Track 15: ERROR Ripping LBA 206262 to 222245 (3:33) in 0:03. Filename: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Music\House of Pain\Same as It Ever Was\House of Pain - 15 - On Point.flac
                        Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 210084 ripping 26 frames track end LBA 222245)

--------------

15 Tracks Ripped: 1 Accurate, 14 Could Not Be Ripped

Comment

• bhoar
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2006

cg:

Ok, we're not even in the realm of robot stuff here, this is just the drive and/or driver-connection chain misbehaving, I think.

First off, for shins and pebbles, try setting the rip type to burst, see if that works at all.

How well was the teac drive working when you received it? Perfectly?

How many discs did you successfully rip before you switched around the drives and the drive letters changed and everything broke?

Did you by any chance install any software around the same time (e.g. Plextor software or drivers)?

About how long is it spending on each failed track in the log above?

The only other thing that comes to mind that could be causing this sort of problem:

1. Bad USB cable or computer does not have USB 2.0 ports. I'm not joking about the USB cable, I've had two that caused mysterious symptoms in the past. Find the shortest and thickest USB cable you can find and use that.

2. Filter drivers. Since you reinstalled windows, I doubt that's the problem, but it's worth investigating to see (I usually use ImgBurn's option to copy the filter list to the clipboard).

3. A cable or connection inside the case is problematic (e.g. the USB<->IDE bridge might be slightly loose).

4. The Teac drive is failing (hopefully not).

-brendan

Comment

• computer-girl
                            • Dec 2008

BINGO!

Bad cable. Bad, bad cable!

I restored my image with all the Illustrate software loaded and the Kodak Kiosk drivers & chipset installed. I then took the USB cable from my printer and hooked it up to the Kodak Kiosk. Then, I configured the TEAC drive. It worked! In Secure mode, I might add. I ripped 55 CDs tonight! I only have 1100 to go, but I am very happy that Batch Ripper along with the Kodak Kiosk will make this task so much easier.

Thank you so much Brendan.

BTW, I have both a 708A and 230A (IDE of course) connected to the same system as the Kiosk. If I choose say the 230A to run concurrently with the TEAC drive can I do so without the fear of either drive being kicked into PIO mode?

Regards,

computer-girl

cg:

1. Bad USB cable .... I'm not joking about the USB cable, I've had two that caused mysterious symptoms in the past. Find the shortest and thickest USB cable you can find and use that.

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

CG:

Glad to hear it is working again.

Yeah, I think the primary issue isn't necessarily always "bad" cables...even "marginal" ones that work in other applications can fail here. Inside the case, there's what's sometimes called a pigtail (or a very short length of cable) between the back of the case and the internal USB hub. The added pigtail length and the need for an extra pair of coupling connectors in the signal path can make marginal cables unworkable.

As for the IDE drives, that's a crap shoot. If you're using vista, it may be less of an issue. With XP, could be a problem. At the very worst, if one of the manually loaded drives acts up, you can always cancel the rip on that drive and just stop feeding it any more discs. Just remember to remedy the PIO problem before the next reboot using the standard techniques.

-brendan

Comment

• AgentX
                                • Jan 2009

So are we going to support the Primera Bravo II Disc Publisher in future versions? if so and if you need a tester I have one available

Comment

Working...

]]>