title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need an audio format suggestion for my situation.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShaneR
    • Apr 2004

Need an audio format suggestion for my situation.

Simple situation, really.

I currently have my collection in 128 aac format (ripped through iTunes), as I use a Nano for most of my music listening (rarely listen through computer or otherwise).

However, I'm thinking about moving away from iTunes to more robust music management software while still keeping iTunes for working with my Nano (and the odd store purchase).

So, I have a new 500gb external drive and plan to re-rip my collection to a lossless format. With the above in mind, what would you suggest?

Apple lossless, FLAC, or Ape?

And, just so I get an idea...if I have, say, 1gb of 128bit encoded aac files, how much space woule that be in a lossless format?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Need an audio format suggestion for my situation.

I would stick with either FLAC or Ape, personally.

As for size, I have a CD in Monkey's Medium setting and it is 302MB for the entire 12-track CD, total time of 48 minutes.

Comment

• ShaneR
      • Apr 2004

I'm leaning towards ape, as well.

I was considering apple lossless simply because of my nano, but not too much trouble to use some tools to convert if need be.

Comment

• ShaneR
        • Apr 2004

Well, I had decided on ape, but reading the forums further I've noticed that r12 of the converter does not yet support sveta which I planning to use with my nano (converting to m4a from ape to nano).

However, r11.5 is supported. I plan to register both r12 reference and sveta, will I also need to register 11.5 eventually as well to continue to use sveta or is there some "deal" spoon is using for this type of situation?

Thanks

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Your best bet would be to purchase Sveta Fully Loaded and then, as a separate purchase, get the PowerPack-to-Reference upgrade. Then, when you install, make sure you install r12 to a different directory than Sveta and r11.5.

Comment

• ShaneR
            • Apr 2004

Thanks

So, no need to purchase r11.5 then, if I understood you then.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Sveta Fully Loaded gets you the r11.5 PowerPack

Comment

• ShaneR
                • Apr 2004

ahhh...I get ya

I promise....no more questions 'till the next one

Comment

• ShaneR
                  • Apr 2004

Well, received the email to download reference today (after the upgrade from Sveta Fully Loaded)

Just wanted to say that it's working great and I'm in the process of getting my collection ripped to Ape.

Thanks for all the help

Comment

• oldtimer
                    • Aug 2007

I know this is real late, but it might be helpful for others who use itunes. itunes takes ALL your music and converts it to constant 125 BR files on the ipod. If you had used LAME VBR you could actually lose quality and have a bigger file. My guess is that there will be no hearable quality difference between a loseless format and the 125 BR file. Most people can't tell even on a fair stereo. People that have great stereos can usually tell. That is why they pay the big bucks.

I suggest trying Media Monkey for a music syncing device. It does a great deal of things real well and there is a free version. Syncing is one thing it does well. I will warn you itunes 'will not appreciate' some other program messing with 'its' ipod. You may need to uninstall itunes because it will 'attack' your ipod once it detects the change.

I think dbpoweramp products edge out MM as far as audio quality but you pay more.

Comment

Working...

]]>