title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

vinyl conversion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsf1850
    • Apr 2007

vinyl conversion

can anyone help me convert my vinyl music so i can play it on my cd player thank you :smile2:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: vinyl conversion

Here are some tips: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6885
    Note that if you want to use Auxiliary Input, you need to have dMC r11.5 installed. If you already have dMC r12 installed, then install dMC r11.5 to a different folder, as stated here: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm

Comment

• jtbse
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by dsf1850
      can anyone help me convert my vinyl music so i can play it on my cd player thank you :smile2:
      The thread that LtData provided contains some links that are a good place to start....especially the dellback link in that thread. I use that author's program Wave Repair, and it works great.

But if you're like me, you might be opening up a can of worms that becomes a life's work.... :smile2:

I've been converting vinyl for a couple of years now (actually what led me to dmc in the first place....to do audio file conversion). My problem is, as I learn more, I become dissatisfied with earlier results....so I keep going back to "redo" albums that I've already converted... :lustig1: At this rate, I might be 1/2 through my collection by the time I die! It just never ends...but a great hobby.

Anyway..a couple of tips that I wish I had thought of when I first started...

1) Don't underestimate the value of a good vinyl cleaning system. I was just using my old DiscWasher system to begin with and thought it would be "good enough". I recently bought the Disk Doctor system, and it makes all the difference. Old albums sound new again, and that means much less work to make them sound acceptable after converting to digital. (This is one of the reasons I'm going back to redo albums).

2) Save your tracks to something lossless, like FLAC....even if you want to transcode to play with lossy compression. If your only copies of the tracks are lossy, you can't go back to adjust or fix glitches you may have missed without starting all over again, or sacrificing quality with the conversion.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

You're not wrong in suggesting that converting LPs could be a life's work

I have only just restarted converting LPs after managing to obtain a replacement belt and stylus for my turntable. All that means is that I'm going to be recording all the same LPs again just in case the old (slack) belt and stylus resulted in a less than perfect sound.

To aid my conversion I also invested in a Inport USB Audio Recorder that I can use with both my PC and Laptop. Although I have a Audigy 2 soundcard the USB device does seem to result in better quality recording.

I was tempted initially to buy a USB Turntable but instead decided to resurrect my turntable by sourcing replacements on the Internet (Thanks, LP Tunes). Another alternative to the Inport device was the iVinyl USB Pre-Amp but as my Hi-Fi is near my PC I decided that it was not necessary.

Although the Inport device came with software I still rely on Wave Repair to make my recordings etc.

I am now in the process of prioritizing my LPs trying to decide which ones I want to put on CD against those that I never want to listen to again. :D

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>