title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMP naming please...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willyhoops
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2007

WMP naming please...

The file naming options are so complex I am totally lost on them.

Can anyone suggest the option to name the file and place it in a directory exactly the same way windows media player does? Eg "..\Beatles\Greatest Hits\01 Strawberry Fields For Ever.wma"

Additionally, it's confusing the way this program uses the artist information. When I rip in WMP I get sensible artist information but with this program I get "various artists" or dozens of extra names and the artist goes somewhere else. The resulting tracks create a complete mess in my squeezebox3 artist search. As a result using this program I have to manually edit the track information every time to get a sensible artist... If WMP can figure it out why can't this program?

For brand new CDs am I basically guaranteed a perfect rip? I mean if I can avoid the dodgy GUIs in this program and EAC life will be much nicer...
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: WMP naming please...

I re-ripped my CD collection last week and ran across some of the same problems you are. However, I believe the default dMC r12 naming scheme tries to use Album Artist if it exists, otherwise it uses the artist of each song, which explains your multiple folders. You could try a simple
    Code:
    [artist]\[album]\[track] [title]
    to give you what you want, but this would be the same naming scheme for all CDs. I will post my naming scheme when I am back at my computer in an hour or so.
    Last edited by LtData; 03-06-2007, 09:43 PM. Reason: wrong slashes

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

[artist]\[album]\[track] [title]

Would be better. The reason we have an apparently complex naming systems, is for compilation albums, they are saved into Various Artists\

WMP would put a compilation album split up all over the place.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Here is my naming scheme, adapted to what you want:
        Code:
        [IFCOMP][album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] - Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]
        That will give you your artist\album\track title naming scheme, but compilation CDs will be album\track title.

Comment

• willyhoops
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Mar 2007

Many thanks for all your replies. I have decided to go for:

[artist]\[album]\[disc][track] [title]

so that for one cd collections you get track number 101 etc.. then on second cd, if there is one, you get 201... To me that's simple and effective.

I am warming to the GUI compared to EAC and i finally came across a key disc when I scanned a beatles album and it's very cool to see the accurate checksum confirmation pop up.

Sill, I wish I could solve this artist name thing. I have to edit the artist name almost every time. Also compared to Windows Media Player the track name often has a repeat of the album name and other information in it and I can't be bothered to go in and edit every track. Somehow WMP does a better job of the same discs. Maybe its in the options page? Maybe in the database it connects to?

Eg for a Classical CD of Mahlers 9th:

In WMP I get:
          Artist: "Mahler"
          Album: "9th Symphony"
          Track 01: "1st Mvt: Andante comodo"

In dbpowerAmp I get something like:
          Artist: Kyoto Symphony Orchestra, Uwe Mund
          Album Artist: Mahler
          Composer: Gustav Mahler
          Track 01: "Mahler, 9th Symphony, Classical, 1st Mvt: Andante comodo"

dpowerAmp is picking up more information but its confusing the hell out of my squeezebox. The squeezebox just uses the artist and album name so you can select from there. I always want Mahler's 9th to come under Mahler not the orchestra and singers who performed in it.
          Last edited by willyhoops; 03-07-2007, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

There is no way of dbpoweramp to know that the composer should be the artist (for squeeze box), although technically dbpoweramp has the right meta data.

If you were to disable the AMG loopup, then freedb would give the artist as you like (as freedb does not have composer).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• willyhoops
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Mar 2007

Ok so I get it - maybe... dbpowerAMP can use several possible online databases for artist/album/track etc info but Windows Media Player uses only freedb?

How am I supposed the change the list of databases to which dbpoweramp CD Ripper connects? Clicking on the center of the options button (like office 2007 you have decided to abandon the menus system) shows no database options. Clicking on the right of the options button brings up a second set of program options but this also does not mention freedb etc. Maybe there is another set of options somewhere but I can't find it.

Comment

• willyhoops
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Mar 2007

AMG buggy in dbpowerAmp

No this is not correct... I just tried a real popular CD - James Blunt, Back To Bedlam. In Windows Media Player running on Vista it shows track information as it rips the files and it has album title "Back To Bedlam" and data source is reported as AMG. In dbpowerAmp I am also using AMG but the Album Title is different as "Back To Bedlam [Bonus Disc]" and its disc 1 of 2 which is incorrect.

To get dbpowerAmp to work I first allow it to come in wrong from AMG. Then I select freedb and its updates the album title correctly. If I unselect AMG and rely on freedb only I get no album art.

Nightmare!
                Last edited by willyhoops; 03-07-2007, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Re: AMG buggy in dbpowerAmp

WMP uses some kind of AMG, there are differences, but AMG is not able ot tell me what Microsoft uses.

Obviously with online databases there is not one which is 100% correct, they are all a certain high % correct.

You might want to look ou for Album Artist, WMP might use that.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>