title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Flac to Itunes: what db encoder to use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spatzi
    • Apr 2005

Flac to Itunes: what db encoder to use?

I have flac files. I don't know what the difference is between mp3LAME encoder and wma. I'm currently using mp3LAME set at 'extreme' vbr, which makes my flac files around 250kps. I'm trying to get high quality, but not taking up too much space, as these songs will go on my ipod. I used to use 'wav' conversion but they were much too large for my collection of 15,000 songs.

What's the difference between wma 9,1 encoder (only goes up to 192?) and the wma 9.1 professional? Is it better to use pro?

I tried converting a flac file with wma 9.1 set at 192bit rate. The file was a quarter the size of the original flac. I then loaded it into itunes, it converted it to 'apple lossless' and the file was 740kps and about 16000 mb. The odd thing is that when I converted the same flac file with wma 9.1 lossless, and then loaded it to itunes using the same 'apple lossless', the file came out to the same bitrate. How is this possible. The original files in both cases were 4000 and 17000 mb. Why does apple lossless make them the same size and bitrate after conversion? If it takes a 17000 mb flac file and makes it almost the same after conversion, I can understand that, but how can it take a 4000 mb file and turn it into a 17000 mb file? If it's lossless, the file should be 4000 like the original, not 4 times larger.

I don't know if I should use mp3LAME, or wma 9.1, or 9.1 pro for converting my flac files. I know wma lossless is the best quality and it save my id tags when going into itunes, but I've got way too many files to have them all hovering around the 800 kbps range. And that's only step one. Then I have to settle on a conversion format in itunes, which will likely be AAC around 192. Can someone please make up my mind?
Working...

]]>