title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Feature Request: Minimum Album Art Pixel Size Setting

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charlie1138
    • Jun 2024

Feature Request: Minimum Album Art Pixel Size Setting

As the title indicates, I would request an option in the settings for the PerfectTUNES Album Art tool to also have a "Minimum Art Pixel Size". It seems that currently this is hard coded to be 600 x 600. I know that this may be fine for most, but as time goes on the smaller images begin to look poor on larger screens. Having this setting which would kick off the batch processing for anything under, say 1000 x 1000 would be a nice touch. Having larger art files isn't a priority to some (probably most) but if this setting could be defaulted as it is now to 600 x 600, but with the option to increase it or decrease it I think it would be universally appreciated.

If there is a setting already that I'm missing I apologize. Really enjoying the software as part of my audio file maintenance routine.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

In the PerfectTunes AlbumArt settings there is a place to select your maximum size (pixels and kb). I select 1000x1000. PerfectTunes will select the largest art available that does not exceed that size. Of course if the largest art it can find is smaller, it will recommend whatever it finds. In my case, it almost always finds 1000x1000 art.

Comment

• Charlie1138
      • Jun 2024

Yes, that's correct. What I'm requesting is minimum art resolution at which it will automatically search for larger artwork. Currently it seems to be hard coded to 600 x 600. I would like to have the option to select 1000 x 1000 or whatever I prefer as the minimum art size that I want in my collection. Currently the batch processing doesn't work for the majority of my files since most of my art images are already in the 600 x 600 - 700 x 700 range.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

But in fact it DOES automatically search for the largest possible artwork it can find, subject to the *maximum* size setting. So it does do exactly what you want it to do. It does NOT provide a 600x600 if a 1000x1000 is available. Have you set the Maximum Size to what you want and also make sure you make the kb max reasonably large too.

Comment

• Charlie1138
          • Jun 2024

Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing that behavior. Perhaps I'm not clearly explaining myself. Currently, if the existing album artwork is 600 x 600 or larger, it does not automatically batch the files to search for larger artwork. The settings available are for limiting the art files that it looks for to replace files that are 599 x 599 and smaller. Those settings are to limit the pixel size and the overall file size. I'm not concerned with how large the artwork ultimately is, I just want everything to be over 1000 x 1000 if it is available. There is no setting that I'm finding that allows me to set the minimum art file size. I would like to have the option to select the minimum artwork size at which when scanning the files will automatically select the albums for batch processing. i.e. if I select 1000 x 1000 as the minimum allowable current artwork size, it would batch everything that is 999 x x999 and lower for automatic processing. At that point, the settings that you reference would become valid as I have set the maximum I want is 2500 x 2500 with a file size maximum of 2000 KB.

Does that clarify my request a little better?

Comment

• Charlie1138
            • Jun 2024

For additional clarification, here is a basic flowchart of what I'm requesting. The process has been oversimplified for this example. The process at the top is the new feature I'm requesting. The variables you are mentioning are in the lower part of the flowchart. Click image for larger version

Name:	MinSizeFlowChart.png
Views:	0
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	325856

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Charlie1138
              Thanks for the reply. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing that behavior. Perhaps I'm not clearly explaining myself. Currently, if the existing album artwork is 600 x 600 or larger, it does not automatically batch the files to search for larger artwork.
              I understand that this is what you are seeing and you are explaining yourself well. But something is obviously wrong in your setup/settings, etc. This is NOT how it works. If I have artwork that is 600x600, PerfectTunes will show me larger artwork if available (1000x1000, 1400x1400, etc.). To be clear, it does not ignore changing if art is 600x600, or even 800x800. It will show me all the larger art it finds and allow replacement.

At this point, I'd say there is a problem with your installation. My first step would be to remove PerfectTunes and then reinstall. If that doesn't solve it, then Spoon will need to chime in, as this is something unique happening to you and not a general limitation of the program. Good luck.

edit: I assume you are using the PAID version of PerfectTunes. I'm not sure, but any free version may have limitations.

Comment

• Charlie1138
                • Jun 2024

Thanks for the reply. First yes, this is a paid version and I'm using the latest version available to me. This is specifically for the automated batch processing to "fix" all the "Low Resolution" albums. Here's how it works for me.

First, I have set the "Maximum Art Pixel Size" to 2500 x 2500 and the "Maximum Art File Size to 2000 KB.

When I add a music library the software scans the music library and after some time presents me with the screen showing a vertical list of the albums with a thumbnail of the album art with the current pixel size to the right. If I select the dropdown at the top and select the "* Low Resolution Albums", I'm presented with a "Fix Albums" button which kicks off the batch process of automatically searching for larger album art files, limited by the afore mentioned settings. I'm always able to click the individual "fix" buttons that are adjacent to each album in the vertical list to manually select a better option.

What I'm specifically asking for is a variable by which to define what is considered to be "Low Resolution Albums". In searching this forum I've found indication that this is hard coded as anything below 600 X 600 as "Low Resolution". This seems to be arbitrary. The request is to make this setting user adjustable similar to the "Maximum Art Pixel Size". This same setting could be utilized in the batch process to limit results that would be below this setting as well.

In the current state, after it batch processes all of the "Low Resolution" albums and I make adjustments manually as needed, I need to go to the main screen, select the "Total Albums" dropdown, then select the "Sort by Resolution (low to high)" from the second dropdown, then manually select the "fix" button and manually select the album cover I want for that specific album. I repeat this process until I've updated all of the artwork in the list of albums that is 600 x 600 up to around 1000 x 1000, or my spirit is broken, whichever comes first.

This is simple a quality of life request for those that may want to simplify and speed up the process.

If you are saying that there is currently a setting to define what is considered a "low Resolution Album" I've missed it. I'd love to know where it is!

I've attached some images of what I understand to be the accepted practice of doing this. Maybe you see something that I'm missing?

Fig 1 Settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Settings.png
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	325861
                Fig 2 Low Resolution Albums:

Name:	FixAlbums1.png
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	325862
                Fig 3 Batch Fixing Albums:

Name:	FixingAlbums.png
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	325863
                Fig 4 Manually Fixing The rest of the Albums:

Name:	ManualFix.png
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	325864

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

aha. I've only used manual fixing (click on FIX button) to update art. I assume if you do this it works as expected. How does one enter the batch low res processing procedure. I've not used that and don't see an obvious way to start that process in PerfectTunes album art function. I'm likely missing something simple.

edit: I can sort by low res, high res, etc. But I see no function to automatically scan and then FIX with higher quality art. On my end, fixing is a manual process.
                  Last edited by garym; June 27, 2024, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Charlie1138
                    • Jun 2024

Interesting. This is a feature that I've been using right away since the beginning. It's a huge time saver as I can kick off a batch to fix the files and come back in an hour or so. I'll need to fix a few manually that may have the wrong cover or what have you, but I don't need to fix every single file. The process is explained by hitting the help button next to the settings "wrench". This explains our confusion. Back to the original point. Having a setting to define what constitutes "Low Resolution" is all I'm asking for. Some may consider anything under 600 x 600 to be low resolution (current state), others may consider anything under 1000 x 1000 or higher to be low resolution.

Click image for larger version  Name:	help.png Views:	0 Size:	2.7 KB ID:	325870
                    Last edited by Charlie1138; June 27, 2024, 08:43 PM.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Aha. This explains it. I still couldn't see those options until I artificially created some albums without album art and ran the program. Then I see the option to batch fix. If you have no low res art or missing art, the option to batch fix doesn't even show up. That's my case. I have about 8,000 albums, but all ripped with dbpoweramp and none are missing artwork or have lower than 600x600. So I never saw this.

So yes, I can see where the need to have a 'minimum' setting would be useful. Spoon will need to address this. I'm just another user like you.

Comment

Working...

]]>