title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

If wishes were horses...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yevster
    • Jun 2023

If wishes were horses...

I'm a very happy DBPowerAmp paid user. And I would love a library manager with the features of PerfectTunes. But PerfectTunes isn't really a library manager - it's a handful of utilities.

Here's what's missing.

1. A single user interface that can
    (a) Search the library quickly (as opposed to iTunes that searches slowly) and display the albums elegantly (including works/movements where appropriate)
    (b) Play search results (including by track, album, and work), with gapless playback where appropriate
    (c) Organize files on disk - similarly to how Itunes does but perhaps smarter. There's room for integration with CD ripper here to rip directly into the library.

No program does all three of these things well. Itunes is terrible at searching. Windows Media Player is terrible with metadata and doesn't organize. Getting these basics right would be extremely valuable to collectors like me.

Much of what's in PerfectTunes now isn't helpful to long term to DBPowerAmp users. Long-time DBPowerAmp users won't need in-library AccurateRip verification - we verify when we rip. DBPowerAmp users don't need another utility to adjust their artwork - we do that with DBPowerAmp when we rip. But getting search and playback right makes will make the program indispensable daily.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Yes, I moved from iTunes to foobar2000 on my windows PC and the mobile version on my iPhone/iPad years ago and never looked back. I use the "ReFacets" interface in foobar2000 on my PC.

Comment

• yevster
      • Jun 2023

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, the search in Foobar is infinitely better than that of iTunes. But the library management features are not there (folder organization, file names, etc). But I guess it solves the search problem and starts up quick when I need to find something, so this will tide me over :D

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

use ReFacets in foobar2000 and you can recreate the iTunes look and feel and it is even better with other options.

Comment

• miggs
          • Jul 2020

I have settled on Swinsain. basically iTunes rewritten. It supports most of what you mentioned. Search is much better than iTunes. Though, missing is search by Barcode.
          I'm running Swinsain 3.0 Preview 15. Very stable.

A powerful and flexible music player for macOS

Comment

• yevster
            • Jun 2023

Originally posted by miggs
            I have settled on Swinsain. basically iTunes rewritten. It supports most of what you mentioned. Search is much better than iTunes. Though, missing is search by Barcode.
            I'm running Swinsain 3.0 Preview 15. Very stable.

https://swinsian.com
            Looks great, but you lost me at "for mac".

Comment

Working...

]]>