title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Change tag type for FLAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bane
    • Nov 2004

Change tag type for FLAC

As the subject suggests, how do I make the the music converter/cd input write ID3 tages instead of FLAC tags when files are encoded to FLAC?

Thanks
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Change tag type for FLAC

Change the option in dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration) on the Options tab.

Comment

• Bane
      • Nov 2004

So I got that figured out.. However, I now have a problem. I am using Phatnoise 's Media Manager for my phatbox player. The media manager does not recognize the tags that db converter is outputting.

Is there a bug in poweramp converter's flac encoding?

Comment

• Deano
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2006

I doubt it. I would imagine that your player does not support FLACs containing ID3 tags. They are not standard for the FLAC format.

Comment

• Bane
          • Nov 2004

Actually Phatnoise does support flacs with mp3 tags. They do not however support FLAC files with FLAC tags. I have personally verified the FLAC tags issue.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

The player may be wanting ID3v1 tags, which would be odd considering that tag format is not valid for FLAC files. Other than that, I don't know. Other people have their media players working fine with dMC's FLAC file ID3v2 tagged files.

Comment

• Deano
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Bane
              Actually Phatnoise does support flacs with mp3 tags. They do not however support FLAC files with FLAC tags. I have personally verified the FLAC tags issue.
              For a start, they're not FLAC tags. The standard for FLAC tags is Vorbis Tags/Comments. I have no issues with these in dbPowerAMP or Foobar2000. As far as I can tell from reading the knowledgebase on their website (which is decidedly crap I must say), it doesn't particularly specify what tags are required for FLAC files.

I would imagine that if it is not reading ID3v2, then it's a version issue. It might be expecting ID3v1, which I incidentally don't think you can use with FLAC at all. Have you tried changing the ID3v2 tag version it is writing to your FLAC files in DMC's Configuration? 2.3 seems to be a standard version, but then these are ID3v2 tags. They seem to cause issues in general.

Comment

• Bane
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Deano
                For a start, they're not FLAC tags. The standard for FLAC tags is Vorbis Tags/Comments. I have no issues with these in dbPowerAMP or Foobar2000. As far as I can tell from reading the knowledgebase on their website (which is decidedly crap I must say), it doesn't particularly specify what tags are required for FLAC files.

I would imagine that if it is not reading ID3v2, then it's a version issue. It might be expecting ID3v1, which I incidentally don't think you can use with FLAC at all. Have you tried changing the ID3v2 tag version it is writing to your FLAC files in DMC's Configuration? 2.3 seems to be a standard version, but then these are ID3v2 tags. They seem to cause issues in general.
                I have tried changing the version. I have tried 2.3, 2.21 and 2.2 in the dmc options, both still comeup with unknown in all fields of the Phatnoise music manager application.

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

Can you check and see exactly what tags it wants for FLAC tags, mabye? Either in the manual or online help or mabye e-mail the company that makes it and ask them.

Comment

• Bane
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                    Can you check and see exactly what tags it wants for FLAC tags, mabye? Either in the manual or online help or mabye e-mail the company that makes it and ask them.
                    Their support says they support v2.2 and 2.3 of ID3. I have two programs from them, Music Manager and Media Manager. Music Manager reads the tags just fine, but Mefia Manager doesn't so it appears to be their software. I have sent another support request to them.

Hopefully they can get it resolved.

Comment

• Bane
                      • Nov 2004

Well, I finally have a response from Phatnoise support. They sent me the following.

"The PhatNoise Media Manager 3.x checks for Vorbis tags. If the Vorbis
                      tag is present but blank (as is the case with the file you sent), the
                      ID3 tag will not be read. Please change your encoder to use only Vorbis
                      tags, or ID3 tags only, without adding blank Vorbis tags."

So, the question is, is there a way to have the dbpoweramp just write ID3 tags and not have Vorbis tag as blank?

Thanks

Jamy

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Why not have dMC write a FLAC file with Vorbis tags?

Comment

• Bane
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
                          Why not have dMC write a FLAC file with Vorbis tags?
                          The phatnoise players only supprt ID3 tags. So not an option.

Comment

• Deano
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Jan 2006

Well, the only other way I can think of to do this is to get a dedicated tagging program that can read ID3 and Vorbis Comments and get it to entirely strip all your files of Vorbis Comments.

I think dBPowerAMP also has a Codec in Codec Central for this kind of thing, think it's called "Update ID Tag" (I am lazy to go bother checking this up), which might facilitate this kind of functionality.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

By default any encoder will write a blank vorbis tag containing the encoding program, that is the design of the format, ogg vorbis is the same.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>