title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Reduce File Size/Bitrate for Protected WMA?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbDMS
    • Jan 2006

Reduce File Size/Bitrate for Protected WMA?

I've purchased a few songs in WMA format but I'd like to try to reduce the file sizes since my player is SD card-based (Treo 650). Is there any way for me to do this in either dbpowerAMP or some other program? In other words, I don't need to convert from the protected WMA to some other file type, and I'm not trying to strip the protection, just trying to reduce the file size since I have limited capacity on my player. Thanks.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Reduce File Size/Bitrate for Protected WMA?

Unfortunately, to change the bitrate or in another manner reduce the file size of a protected WMA, you have to decode the file and then re-encode it using the new settings. You therefore have to somehow get the file unprotected or get an unprotected copy and then you can change the file size.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Re: Reduce File Size/Bitrate for Protected WMA?

To do as LtData suggests, you probably have two options:
      You may be able to burn your protected wma files to CD in CD format (which you can then rip to smaller size wma files or to whatever else you want); or,
      You can record the wma files as they play on your computer's soundcard using dMC Auxilary Input (as briefly outlined in the sticky in the DRM and CD Copy Protection section of the forum here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7422) or using some other recording aid.

Burning to cd may not be an option if the provider from whom you purchased your track(s) does not allow this. In any event, if you are not familiar with the terms of your purchase agreements(s) for your tracks, I would urge you to go back and check on the terms of purchase for your purchased track(so you better know what your options are).

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>