title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Copy protected RA's?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idontwanttoregi
    • Jan 2006

Copy protected RA's?

"The file "blabla.ra" is copy protected and will not be converted."

Is this correct or a bug?

(if so, suggestions for programs that will do it anyway are accepted)
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Copy protected RA's?

I dare say it is correct. There are copy-protected RealAudio files, usually associated with pay-for-download services. You should make a habit of reading the fine print before downloading from these sources, if for no other reason than that they should tell you what rights you do have with respect to the copy-protected files you download.

Generally, there are usually 2 options open to you if you want to save/convert such files to other formats. The first is to burn the files to CD (assuming the copy protection arrangement allows this-surprisingly many do). You can then rip the cd to the format and settings of your choice.

The other option is to record your track(s) off of your sound card as they are playing. You can do this with dBpowerAMP Music Converter's Auxilary Input feature. You can find a detailed FAQ on how to do this here:
    dMC Auxiliary Input is used to record audio to your hard drive from what is being played through your soundcard. Applications include transferring cassettes or vinyl to your pc for further processing and perhaps for burning to audio cd, capturing streaming audio which cannot be downloaded and converting the audio from

There is also a program (perhaps more than 1) that will help you do this. The one that comes to mind is called TuneBite. I have not used this program and so I cannot personally vouch for it. It does cost money. I have not seen any reference to software specifically designed for removing copy-protection measures from RealAudio files.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• idontwanttoregi
      • Jan 2006

Turns out there are tons of programs who choose to ignore that bit.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

If you cold be more specific, I am sure that there are users who would be interested.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by idontwanttoregi
          It's usually not even a question of ignoring encryption. It's just plain not doable, don't go thinking you can just jump the fence when nobody's looking, that would not be encryption, that would be just a footnote warning, legally binding probably but worthless as protection.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

IF using the directshow codec then you should not ever get that message (ie there is no way for directshow to report it is copyprotected).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>