title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

MP3 balance between file size and sound q.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrice
    • Jan 2006

MP3 balance between file size and sound q.

First of all, I have an IPOD and want to convert audio, flac and other files in my computer to the appropriate type of file for the ipod, which I assume is MP3. Is mp3 what I should be doing? Secondly, what bit rate strikes the best balance between file size and sound quality for listening on the IPOD?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: MP3 balance between file size and sound q.

iPod accepts a variety of file types including mp3, mp4/m4a/aac, AIFF (similar to wave), and Apple Lossless (which is similar to FLAC in terms of being lossless but having larger file sizes than mp3 or mp4/m4a.

You do not mention which model of iPod you have. iPods come with storage capacities of as little as 1 gb to 30 gb (maybe more). If you have a larger one, file size might not be so important. But if you have one of the smaller iPods, or if you want to store a lot of other (photo and/or video) files as well on your iPod, then you will want to be conservative with file size.

Assuming you do not want to go lossless, your choices are mp3 and mp4/m4a. A good case can be made for using either. In some listening tests, mp3 seems to do as well or a little better than mp4/m4a at similar bitrates and mp3 is a much more portable format when it comes to transferring files to and from your iPod. Mp4/m4a is newer and many users prefer it to mp3. I would suggest that you try each starting with bitrates at about 128 kbs on up to maybe 240 kbs. You may be satisfied with either at 128 kbs. You will probably find that somewhere between 160 kbs and 240 kbs that you will no longer be able distinguish differences in quality.

For my car mp3 player and my portable mp3 disk player, I personally prefer a bitrate of 192 kbs but you may be among those more comfortable with either a higher or lower bitrate. That is why I suggest you do some listening to determine what will work best for you.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• jrice
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the good info. What bitrate does itunes default to, and can it be adjusted? Or, should I switch programs even for ripping from CD's?

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

I don't use iTunes, so I wouldn't know their default. I am nearly positive that it would allow the setting of different bitrates for the formats it can handle. I would be most comfortable advising that you use dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) for ripping and for conversion of existing files but (as I said) I don't use iTunes and I am very comfortable and satisfied with dMC. I have known iPod users claim that they like to use iTunes for storing and cataloging their music files and dMC for ripping and converting. Folks with other advice can feel free to add their opinions and advice.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

rumor has it that itunes has the best AAC encoder, so if you want to use aac/m4a you should go that route (or rig up dmc to use its encoder )

if you want to use mp3, encode with LAME with dbpoweramp

were i in your shoes, i would stick with mp3, everything supports it.

as far as what bitrate you should use... you will have to experiment with that for yourself. just find the lowest bitrate that provides acceptable quality for your ears.

Comment

Working...

]]>