title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Playback speed

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kahnsoft
    • Dec 2005

Playback speed

Ok, so I guess I'm missing something obvious here. I just installed the trial of dBpowerAMP. I'm trying to convert some mp3 files on my HD that were not previously playing. The converter shows them as mpeg1 layer I files. I converted several of them using basically the default settings and they seemed to play back but after converting several of them, I find that they are actually playing back very slowly. I'm not sure what I've done wrong, but I suspect it's something simple. Any help would be appreciated.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Playback speed

Check the frequency of these files by right-clicking on them, going to properties, and then clicking either the edit tag tab or the settings tab followed by advanced.

Comment

• kahnsoft
      • Dec 2005

I did that and both the original files and the new files read 44100. Is there a way to change that so that it will return to the original playback speed?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Mabye try converting the files to 44.1KHz, 16-bit, 2-channel WAV files and see if they play then?
        And 44.1KHz was the value that it should be.

Comment

• kahnsoft
          • Dec 2005

I've since discovered that the tracks I was previously not able to play just needed their tag info restored. If I right click on one and do edit tag and then just hit OK, it is then usable. Unfortunately, I've got several tracks now that are playing really slowly and I'm not sure how to restore them (as being the complete idiot that I am, I clicked on the erase source option).

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to speed up the tracks using dMC. There should be other software that speeds it up, but I can't think of any.

Comment

• kahnsoft
              • Dec 2005

I'll start digging. Thanks.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2005

audacity - free audio editor

Comment

• kahnsoft
                  • Dec 2005

I will give that a shot. Thank you much!

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by kahnsoft
                    Unfortunately, I've got several tracks now that are playing really slowly and I'm not sure how to restore them (as being the complete idiot that I am, I clicked on the erase source option).
                    That option should never even have existed! Most danagerous.

I hope from the bottom of my heart that Spoon will remove the option to delete source file after conversion in future releases.

Comment

• kahnsoft
                      • Dec 2005

I think it's a useful option if your running low on hdd resources, I just should have been smarter about using it. In this case, I was converting files that I didn't know how they were encoded, using a tool that I was not really familiar with; and from first blush, the instrumental music seemed to be working. It wasn't until I actually listened to the piece in question all the way through that I realized that it was playing in way too low a key.

It was dumb on my part. It might make sense to add a warning for people who use similarly poor judgment, but I do think it's a useful option.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

Well, you can delete your files explicitly, purposely, after you have done the conversions.

Comment

• kahnsoft
                          • Dec 2005

True, and certainly safer.

ps. I just noticed your avatar. I love that.

Comment

Working...

]]>