title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

conversion from freeformat bug?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teladog01

• Dec 2005

conversion from freeformat bug?

I am experiencing an issue when converting from freeformat 384 kbps mp3s (downloaded from allofmp3.com). The first half second or so of the converted file is missing. I have verified in a wave editor that it has indeed been cut from the file. I have tried converting to lame with several different presets as well as to wave, and get the same result on all of them. This seems to indicate an issue in the decoding of the input file.

Anyone else seeing this?
  • gameplaya15143
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Sep 2005

Re: conversion from freeformat bug?

issue confirmed :(

the r10.1 mp3 input dll cant handle freeformat at all (i tried it just to see if it also had the issue)..
    the r11.5 mp3 input dll does have this 'chop off the beginning' issue

:vmad: hope this gets fixed soon :cry:

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Make sure there are NO DSP effects that are being applied.

Comment

• teladog01

• Dec 2005

Not sure what you mean by NO DSP effects. I didn't realize dbpoweramp did any DSP in the conversion process. If you are talking about DSP in the playback device after the conversion has taken place, then that is not the problem at all. I verified in Sound Forge that the beginning of the file has indeed been cut off.

This issue seems to be a bug in the decoding of the input file done by dbpoweramp, i.e. before the actual reencoding takes place. Even output straight to wave has the beginning cut off.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Part of the PowerPack options you have DSP effects that you can set to be applied during the conversion process. Make sure none are enabled.

In the dMC window click the PowerPack DSP button and see what you have there.

Comment

• teladog01

• Dec 2005

OK, I just checked the DSP effects, and I have nothing listed in the active section. Thanks for pointing the DSP stuff out, didn't realize they were there. But the issue still seems to be with dMC's decoding of the input file.

Comment

• Bill41
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Nov 2004

Use the MAD frontend 1.4.1 found here:http://members.home.nl/w.speek/ to convert the 384 kbps MP3s to wave and then dMC to convert the wave files. Not all of the AllOfMP3 files turn out as 384 kbps and dMC will not handle them.
              Bill

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Please send one such file (freeformat mp3 that will have 1/2 second cut when converted) to:

(there is a new mp3 decoder for dMC R12, currently it will not interface withdmc r11.5 as it is unicode, but an emulation layer will be written).
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Sep 2005

i encoded a file with lame.exe --freeformat -b 384, then tried to decode it with dmc (11.5), and it did cut off the very beginning of the file. i also tried 640kbps and got the same cutoff.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

OK, how about then this time actually using a DSP effect to add silence at the beginning of a file (say 1 second) and use dMC to convert to windows media lossless? Is the duration respected (plus 1 second) ?

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

If it is cutting it will remove the audio data, I will look at this as that is effectively the area I am in at the moment.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

The new R12 codecs work well on these files, but it will be a number of months before they are usable in a beta version of dMC.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>