title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Why does dbpoweramp try to delete my cd source files?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OnlyOneQuestion
    • Dec 2005

Why does dbpoweramp try to delete my cd source files?

Hey guys, I'm just wondering why dbpoweramp always wants to delete the source files on my actual discs.
    What I'm talking about, is when I run dmc audio cd input and then rip the files to mp3 [lame] I get an error box explaining that the source files can't be deleted. I do not want the converter to even try to delete the source files, so I'm wondering how I can turn this seeming automatic process off.
    Thanks in Advance.
  • OnlyOneQuestion
    • Dec 2005

Re: Why does dbpoweramp try to delete my cd source files?

Never mind, it seems that it was attempting to delete the source files because I had that feature selected in the normal music converter. It'd be nice if these options were kept separate...

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Well, this is your latest setting in dMC probably.

Start dMC Audio Input - and right click a track - this should open the dMC window so you can select the codec and options of conversion .

Make sure you uncheck "delete source file after conversion" and also "Output to" should not be "same folder as original".

PS - saw your new post .

I think the option to 'delete source file after conversion' should have NEVER existed even. It can cause untold grief whenever a conversion doesn't go as expected and you end up losing the original as well.
      Last edited by ChristinaS; December 25, 2005, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• OnlyOneQuestion
        • Dec 2005

Thanks for the response, but I'm still wondering if I can keep these options independent of each other? Like let's say that I want to delete the source files when simply converting file types, not ripping from a cd, is there a way to keep the settings separate?
        Also, I recommend adding a feature that automatically makes a new folder (based on the CD's name) in a root folder of our choice. Meaning, I'd like to be able to rip the cd directly to a folder of the same name without manually having to make that folder.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

On the folder question, you can manage that from the options in dMC AUdio CD input - File naming details. If you insert a backslash anywhere between fields used to make up the file name, a folder results for the portion to the left of the slash.

I don't think the choice to delete files or not after conversion can be kept separate, since it is an option in dMC, not in dMC Audio Input itself.

But as I say, it is a very dangerous option and I would never use it, no matter what the temptation or rationale might be (can't even think of any actually). I at most would only want to delete my own original files once I determine my conversions were good. That's also why I keep originals and converted files in separate folders, so as not to get them mixed up.

Comment

• OnlyOneQuestion
            • Dec 2005

On the folder question, you can manage that from the options in dMC AUdio CD input - File naming details. If you insert a backslash anywhere between fields used to make up the file name, a folder results for the portion to the left of the slash.
            I've been tinkering around trying to get this to work, but I haven't had any luck. Could you give me a quick step-by-step guide on how to do this?
            Thanks for everything so far and to come.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Ok, in dMC Audio CD Input click the big Options button.
              On the line for File creation, click the Set button, twice.

You will be presented with a window which has 2 lists: one for individual elements that can be used to build your own file naming pattern, another with pre-defined combinations.

At the top you have the current pattern being used. It's a fully editable field.
              Individual items can be added manually or by selecting them from the lists below by double clicking the entry. You can add extra characters as separators (but stay away from special ones, use blanks, hyphen or underscore, backslash for creating a folder at that point).

Let's say I want to end up with a folder for artist, inside that a subfolder for year, inside that a subfolder for album, and inside that folder the files are named by track number and track name, separated by a ' - '.

My pattern will then be :

[artist]\[year]\[album]\[track number xx] - [track]

This will of course only work properly if the cd information is present in the freedb database and the information for all those fields is available correctly. Otherwise you have to manually input or correct that information in the corresponding fields in dMC Audio Cd Input at the top and for each track separately, as necessary, before ripping.

Comment

• OnlyOneQuestion
                • Dec 2005

Thanks for the guide, but I seem to be running into one small problem. I now have it set up so the folder is automatically created and the tracks go into it, but I can't specify the root folder.
                I want the Album to go straight into My Music, but it decides to go into my last manually created folder.
                So the situation is that my newly ripped files end up like this:
                My Music/Last Manually Made Folder instead of just going straight to My Music.
                I appreciate all the help, and I understand that I'm probably just being too picky...

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

OK, in Options again, your first setting is for the folder to rip to. That will be the root folder inside which all others will be set according to your file creation scheme.

Click Set twice and select the folder where you want it all to go to.

Comment

• OnlyOneQuestion
                    • Dec 2005

Yes, but I can't specify it alone as the root folder. It always rips music into one of the folders inside of My Music.
                    I want it to be like this:
                    My Music/Album I'm ripping now
                    instead of like this: My Music/Previously created folder/Album I'm ripping now

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Make sure your using dMC r11.5. Version information is in dMC Configuration (Start --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration).

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Where a file is ripped to depends on two things:
                        The Rip-To Folder and the File Creation settings. Both are found in Audio CD Input's Option menu.
                        First, make sure your Rip-To folder is set to your My Music folder.
                        Second, make sure your File Creation settings are album\whatever. You change this either via presets in the drop-down list, or make your own by clicking Set and typing what you want into the top box.

Comment

• OnlyOneQuestion
                          • Dec 2005

You change this either via presets in the drop-down list, or make your own by clicking Set and typing what you want into the top box.
                          I can't believe that I didn't think of that. I guess I'm not nearly as tech savvy as I thought...
                          And thanks for all the help.
                          Last edited by OnlyOneQuestion; December 26, 2005, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• OnlyOneQuestion
                            • Dec 2005

Actually, I can't even get that to work. Everytime I manually type in C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel\My Documents\My Music
                            it always resets to C:\Documents and Settings

Comment

• ChristinaS
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2004

Make sure you have version R11.5 of dMC - there was a bug in an older version and it couldn't set the paths properly.

But you don't type manually the path - you navigate to it. So you have to click twice on the Set button in order to see the tree structure of the hard drive, and then make your way to the folder in which you want the rest fo teh stuff to be converted to.

Comment

Working...

]]>