title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting from FLAC to lossless WMA

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikesm
    • Dec 2005

Converting from FLAC to lossless WMA

Hi. I'm trying to use dbpoweramp to convert some FLAC files to lossless wma. I have the wma 9.1 codecs installed (I'm running windows XP), but when selecting the target codec, I select Windows Media Audio, but there doesn't seem to be an option for lossless available.

What am I doing wrong? Sorry if there is an obvious answer - I'm searched through the forums and found that this is doable, but not the settings to do so.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Converting from FLAC to lossless WMA

What compression types are shown when WMA 9.1 is selected?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

You should be seeing Windows Media Audio v9.1 in the codec selector. Maybe you haven't installed the WMA 9.1 codecs yet? You may be having only the older v9 codec. Have you installed WMP 10?

Comment

• mikesm
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
        What compression types are shown when WMA 9.1 is selected?

A bunch of them, but none that say lossless. All of them look like compressed settings. Where is the lossless option set?

Do I need to load any other codecs than the one mentioned in the web page for WMA?

I do have WMP 10 installed, but the codec central webpage didn't mention that...

Thanks,
        Mike

Comment

• mikesm
          • Dec 2005

PS The only applicable codec option is wm-audio. It has a bunch of CBR encoding rates, but nothing lossless. Winamp shows the same options for WMA encoder 1.1, no loseless option.

It seems I'm missing something here. I do have WMP 10 installed at at the current version.

In WMP 10, I can select WMA lossless for CD ripping encoding format under the tools menu. So I think the encoder is present in the system, but dbpoweramp and winamp doesn't see it.

Thanks,
          Mike

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Try reinstalling the dMC WMP 9.1 codec. http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-wma.htm
            During the installation, there will be a box that pops up asking if you want to install the "Windows Media 9.5 System Codecs" or something along those lines. Say yes to install them and then complete the installation. Does the Lossless option show up now?

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

If LtData's suggestion does not help, try uninstalling and reinstalling WMP 10. This was reported to work recently by another user.

Best wishes,
              Bill

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

But that's complicated by the fact that you CAN'T uninstall WMP 10, you have to use System Restore to roll back to a point before it was installed.

Comment

• mikesm
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                  But that's complicated by the fact that you CAN'T uninstall WMP 10, you have to use System Restore to roll back to a point before it was installed.
                  Unfortunately, this system was built initially with a slipstreamed XP SP2 with WMP 10, so removing it via restoring to a prior date won't work.

Does reinstalling it help? What exactly is the problem here?

I reinstalled the codecs file, but it didn't change anything. I don't even see the WMA professional option that I see in winamp.

Is this a problem limited to dbpoweramp, or do all programs trying to use the loseless WMA encoder fail too?

[EDIT] I found a site that gave me instructions to remove WMP 10 by grabbing the uninstall string from the registry and running that as a shell command. This actually worked with my slipstreamed XP SP2 install, and reverted everything back to WMP 9. However this didn't fix the problem. Should I attempt to reinstall WMP 10?

Thanks,
                  Mike
                  Last edited by mikesm; December 19, 2005, 02:10 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Is this what you downloaded and installed after installing dMC? http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codecs/dBp...dec-wmav91.exe ?

It has to be installed to the same folder where the rest of dBpowerAMP (e.g. dMC) got installed, and you must be logged in as an admin. Ideally that folder would be as proposed by all the dB installers: c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP

Also to simplify matters you should perform conversions signed in as admin.

Run dMC Configuration and make sure you see the wma 9.1 codec Installed Encoders.

Best copy the configuraiotn to your clipboard (use the button in dMC Configuration) and paste it all here.

-----

Since you uninstalled WMP 10 and now have WMP 9 you should get a fresh copy of WMP 10 and install it with all the options enabled.
                    Last edited by ChristinaS; December 19, 2005, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

Should I attempt to reinstall WMP 10?
                      Yes!

Comment

• mikesm
                        • Dec 2005

Well, removing WMP 10 and reinstalling it fixed it. All WMA codecs (including lossless) are now available...

Thanks much everyone!

Mike

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Wow! Great outcome! :D

Comment

• mikesm
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
                            Wow! Great outcome! :D
                            Thanks for all your help. The command I did to remove WMP 10 from my system was: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Setup_wm.exe" /Uninstall" BTW, just in case others are having the same issue.

One thing though - converting 40 tracks from FLAC to WMV lossless took about 3 hrs on a very fast AMD 64 system. Is this normal?

Thanks,
                            Mike

Comment

Working...

]]>