title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using on a new computer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konajill
    • Dec 2005

Using on a new computer

Hi
    Never knew that there was a forum here so this great news to me. Now my problem is that I use music for my stationery that I make and have to compress it down to a small size but keep the best quality as possible and before it did it with whatever settings that were on the download but I never paid much attention which I should have done but anyway what I need is someone to tell me in easy to understand English how to set it up to make a large wav or mp3 down to a smaller wav. thanks ever so much konajill :blush:
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

Re: Using on a new computer

WAV files can't be made smaller unless you want one of those ACM codecs to have stuff like "WAVE Lame mp3" files, used in making DivX videos, but you don't want compressed WAV files, those are really...sketchy.

In other words, if you wanna make "smaller" WAV files, good luck. It ain't easy.

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Actually it's very easy. You have to use the Change format to make a compressed wave, once you select the wav codec in dMC.

Select from there mpeg layer 3 and pick the actual setting from the drop down list. The lower the bitrate, the smaller the resutling file.

You will want to use mono. Something like 16Kbits 12000Hz mono may be good.

You have to xperiment to find the best combination.

This has been sucessfully used with Power Point presentations and embedding into flash as well.

Comment

• konajill
        • Dec 2005

Christina ..
        As you said it can be done and did it all the time before I got the new computer but now I do not even see a choice for mono at all and also there are the letters CBR on some of the choices which mean nothing to me at all and what do you mean by codec codes or whatever they are? when I first got this program a couple of years ago or more it looked entirely different when I chose convert to and wanted to either change a mp3 to a wav or to compress a wav down to a smaller size so hate to sound that dumb but I am totally lost and really need to be able to do this for my stationery groups.
        Also not sure who to ask on this one but is there any way that an email notice can be sent to a person when there is a reply to their question or posting at all which is done on a lot of other forums and is really handy.
        Thanks for any help that you or anyone can give to me konajill ( real name is Sandy) :smile2:

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

smaller size? what size would you consider small?

to answer one of your confusions... your new computer probably doesnt have the same codecs installed that your old one had.

Comment

• Hyrize
            • Jul 2004

konajill,
            afaik to get a email when someone replies you 'subscribe' to the thread
            this is done through 'Thread Tools'>'Subscribe to this Thread' one the toolbar just above the first post

Comment

• konajill
              • Dec 2005

When I say I need to make a song a smaller size file I need to take one for example that is over 500kbs and make it under 275 or so when possible without losing too much of the quality of the sound or also to change a mp3 over to a wav around that same size.
              You say I may not have the same codecs installed which is very possible but I know nothing about them at all so if someone can explain to me how to do that or where to go to get them I sure would appreciate it.
              Also like the way that the members here seem to get right back to you which does not happen on a lot of forums that I have looked at for other subjects. Congratulations on that part thanks for any more help that any one can give to me and I did find the place for an email to my incoming mailbox which is great.
              Konajill

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by konajill
                Christina ..
                As you said it can be done and did it all the time before I got the new computer but now I do not even see a choice for mono at all and also there are the letters CBR on some of the choices which mean nothing to me at all and what do you mean by codec codes or whatever they are? when I first got this program a couple of years ago or more it looked entirely different when I chose convert to and wanted to either change a mp3 to a wav or to compress a wav down to a smaller size so hate to sound that dumb but I am totally lost and really need to be able to do this for my stationery groups.
                Also not sure who to ask on this one but is there any way that an email notice can be sent to a person when there is a reply to their question or posting at all which is done on a lot of other forums and is really handy.
                Thanks for any help that you or anyone can give to me konajill ( real name is Sandy) :smile2:
                Ok, Sandy. First about email: unfortunately the email notificaiton in the forum hasn't been activated due to possibly too much email traffic. So you will have to check the forum frequently to see fi tehre are replies to your posts.

Second, about why you aer not seeing all options in dMC.

Make sure you ahve installed all of dBpowerAMP program to the same location, as an administrator: c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP - which is what the installers propose in any case.

Then when you use this program you should also be logged into yoru pc as an admin, or a power user.

Now coming to how to use it.

You select an audio file in Windows Explorer, right click it and select Convert to.

This opens up dMC. At the top it says Converting 1 file to - and you have a drop down list of all file types (i.e. codecs) available for conversions.

Pick wave fom there. Under that click the radio button for Compressed and then the big button Change Format.

This opens up a little window for Wave Output Format. Ignore the first line for the Name.

On the second line there you select the actual format (i.e. wave codec) to be used, from a drop down list. You should have MPEG Layer-3 there.

In another drop down list below that for Attributes you select some combination and try it out.

Comment

• konajill
                  • Dec 2005

Good Morning Christina
                  I looked at your example and I can go as far as where I go to change the format where you have 16k bit 12000 hz mono 1 kb I do not get that choice but have one for stereo and all the others have numbers and then the letters CBR and I have tried just about all of them and none of them work right at all. the way the yours is set up is what I had before so is there something else I need to download?
                  When I did the installation there was not anything for me to do other than to hit run and tell it where to go on the installer that I had.
                  Thanks ever so much for trying to help me Konajill (Sandy)
                  PS also how did you put that attachment in your post of the screen capture?

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2005

why do you need a *.wav file?

a wave file with mp3 compression is still an mp3 (just with a wave header), why not just use *.mp3 instead?

@ChristinaS, whicht mp3 acm codec? fgh? lame?
                    Last edited by gameplaya15143; December 20, 2005, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by konajill
                      Good Morning Christina
                      I looked at your example and I can go as far as where I go to change the format where you have 16k bit 12000 hz mono 1 kb I do not get that choice but have one for stereo and all the others have numbers and then the letters CBR and I have tried just about all of them and none of them work right at all. the way the yours is set up is what I had before so is there something else I need to download?
                      When I did the installation there was not anything for me to do other than to hit run and tell it where to go on the installer that I had.
                      Thanks ever so much for trying to help me Konajill (Sandy)
                      PS also how did you put that attachment in your post of the screen capture?
                      As a moderator I can uplaod attachments.

I suimply used the wav codec > compressed > pick a selection.
                      The range available must depend on your own Windows installation, as I didn't do anything special to have that as far as I remember.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Sep 2005

if you dont already have it.. you can get the lame acm codec from Rarewares, comes in a package with lame.exe and lame_enc.dll

Comment

Working...

]]>