title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problems Ripping CD to MP3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marusame
    • Dec 2005

Problems Ripping CD to MP3

Hey, everyone.

I'm having issues ripping (backing up) an Audio CD [Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory (if it matters) (Yes, I actually own the CD, so it's all legal)] so that I can listen to it on my PSP. Whenever I run the dMC Audio CD Input program, everything runs okay, until it tries to rip. There's no error messages or anything; there's just no progress whatsoever.

Is there any solution to this? If it helps, I'm currently running Windows XP Home Edition (Service Pack 2) and the latest version of dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Marusame; December 08, 2005, 09:46 AM.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Problems Ripping CD to MP3

Is this a problem with just this CD or is it a problem with many/all of your CDs?
    If this is a problem with a single CD (or only a few), you may have a CD that is copy-protected. A copy-protected CD will probably have an indication on the CD case somewhere indicating this, but you will have to look carefully for this.

Before deciding that this is the problem, however, try ripping some or all tracks as test conversions. This is the same as a regular conversion except that where you designate mp3 as your output format select "Test Conversion (No Write)". Either your track(s) will successfully test convert or they will usually generally give you an error message.

If the test conversion is not successful, then either there is something wrong with the CD or it is copy-protected. If you can play the CD OK then you will know that the CD is OK. There is a section of this forum on DRM and CD Copy Protection that has information on this.

If the CD test converts OK, then the usual problem is with the settings you have set for your output mp3 files. Try ripping to standard wave (PCM, 16 bit, 2 channel, 44.1 kHz). Then try ripping to mp3. If the first step doesn't work, please let us know. If the first step works but the second step does not, try changing your mp3 settings. If you need further help, please let us know what settings you are using for mp3.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• annajones
      • Dec 2005

Note: this is good only for PC. I'm not done this on a Mac.

I've been converting many of my CDs to mp3 so I can play them at work and not having to bring my CDs (which can get damaged) to work all the time.

If you have internet access search for MusicMatch (MM). This is free software. Once MM is loaded put your CD into your computer's CD slot. From MM select Options, Recorder, Format, and select MP3. This means the recordings will be in MP3 format.

If CD is enhanced you will need to exit the enhanced menu.

From MM select "File", click on CD player and the songs will show up on the MM playlist. From MM select "Edit", and choose "Select all from playlist". Point at the shaded area of selected songs and drag the pointer below (below MM playlist is the MM Library). MM will say if you want your selection moved into the Library it must be recorded (note you already set the MM recorder to MP3). Say OK (I want to record). You will get a new pop up box and from there press "Start copy".

To find you MP3 files you will see them under "My Documents" and "My Music" under a folder with the Artist's name and inside that folder is a folder with the Album name. From inside the Album folder you can copy the MP3s to a CD using CD Creator "Data" format.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Annajones, everything you mention here is available through various functions dBpowerAMP. I don't see how your advice can specifically address a copy protected cd.

In this forum we deal with issues concerning dBpowerAMP products. All you are describing are regular ripping abd cd burning functions through other programs, all of which are also available through dBpowerAMP programs.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by annajones
          .... MusicMatch (MM)...
          musicmatch is trash, i pitty anyone who uses that crap and thinks its good

linkin park hybrid theory is not copy protected, my guess is that you have some evil drm that got installed on your machine from some other CD (prolly sony bmg :vmad: ) do a search for 'sunncomm' or 'mediamax' and also 'xcp' or 'sony rootkit' and make sure you dont have either of those

Comment

Working...

]]>