title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Sound question for xoas or LtData

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Java
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2005

Sound question for xoas or LtData

This is not a power amp question but since I feel that both of you folks have a lot of knowledge about music, I wanted to know if you would have any idea of what might be the cause of my midi files not having sound.

The music appears to be playing, but, there is no sound coming forth, I have checked everything I know how to but with no sucess.

All of my real files when played have sound.

Would appreciate any thoughts or input you might have.

Thanks in advance!!
  • gameplaya15143
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Sep 2005

Re: Sound question for xoas or LtData

Originally posted by Java
    what might be the cause of my midi files not having sound.
    that would depend on what you are trying to use to play them

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Double-check your volume settings for your computer and make sure the MIDI balance is not muted and about half-way up. If you do not see "MIDI Balace" click Options --> Properties and then check "MIDI" at the bottom and click OK.

Comment

• Java
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2005

Hello LtData, thanks for replying, I checked as you suggested, this is what showed on the volume control:

Volume conrtol checked
        Wave checked
        sw synth. checked

phone line unchecked
        aux vol "
        video vol "
        mic vol "

line in checked
        cdaudio checked

I have looked at every sound properties I can find and cannot find a volume control for Midi.

I don't know much about drivers etc but in the hardware I did find in riptide audio midi listed it showed as working properly as midi features.

Cannot figure out what has happened, it was there one day and gone the next.

Thanks!!

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

I recently ran into this same problem. I started out aas LtData suggested making sure that that I have the Synthesizer enabled and the volume not muted.
          You may want to retrace your steps just to make sure that the Synthesizer is selected as a playback source and that the volume level is appropriately set. The volume level for Midi is the one marked Synth or Synthesizer.

That did not solve my problem but that is still where I would advise checking.
          Next I went to my Control Panel (Start>Control Panel). I clicked on the icon for Sounds and Audio Devices. Click on the tab that reads Audio. Check the menu for the default device for Midi playback. I found I had 4 items on this menu. 2 of these would work, 2 would not. So I selected the one that would play best for me. Once I did that, I clicked OK and exited the Control Panel and I was in business.

So you might want to give that a try. If you run into difficulty, please let us know what option you used in the Control Panel (you may have to try a different icon on the Control Panel if your system is different), what options you had for Midi devices and which you tried.

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• Java
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2005

Hi Bill, 19 degress and snowing here today in western maryland.

This is what I have checked:
            Vol. Ctr Under options, playback is selected, swsyn is checked.

Audio sounds Device prop. playback is checked.

It appears that swsyn is working unless I don't know what I need gto see.

My sound on these controls is "creative sound blaster pci.

Guess I have probably messed something up big time.

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

I doubt that anything is messed up big time.

Have you tried going to Control Panel?
              Do you have a button there for "Sounds and Audio Devices"?
              If not, do you see a button on the Control Panel for "MultiMedia"?
              If not, try some other buttons in the Control Panel that may have to do with sound.

Look for a control that allows you to specify what device the computer uses for playing MIDI files. If you find this, check to see what alternatives you are presented. Make a note of these (in case this doesn't work it might be useful information to pass on to us). Now, with this window still open, open a MIDI file, with your speakers on. If you cannot hear the sound, try switching between other possible MIDI devices. Can you find any that play? If not, tell us if you could find the correct spot in the Control Panel (for designating the MIDI device), what that spot was called, and what alternative devices were listed for playing your MIDI files and whether they worked only some or not at all.

Best wishes,
              Bill

Comment

• Java
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jul 2005

Hi Bill, just when you are about to give up and move on you do one final check.

I went back into sounds and audio properties, lo and behold at the bottom of the sounds and audio properties, what did I see "Midi sounds and playback".

I clicked on volume and I saw "Microsoft gs wavalbe syn." I clicked on that and midi sounds came forth.

I don't know how many times I had looked at that area and nevre saw mid playback. Apparentley I had clicked on one of the other two options 'Creative sound blaster and riptid mpu 401".

I really appreciate you and Lt.Data giving me advice and support, its nice to know that there are some moderators out there that take the time.

Thanks to you both and I am sure I will post back another time.

Comment

Working...

]]>