title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Wont Convert to Mp4 anymore

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jwessel
    • Dec 2005

Wont Convert to Mp4 anymore

I just installed the dbpowerAMP Music Converter to convert songs into ringers for my cellphone, and the first 4 songs converted from wav. to mp4 fine and saved under the folder I made, but now they dont save. It says that the conversion has been completed, but when I look in the folder it was directed to, or even search for it, nothing turns up. Any ideas on why it stopped working all of a sudden? Thanks.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Wont Convert to Mp4 anymore

And you're sure you didn't yourself change yet again the destination folder and forgot where it is now?

Is tehre maybe a name conflict and the new conversion overwrote an older one?

Are you not now signed in as admin while the first time you were?

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Let me suggest something and I'll try to get around to explaining later:
      Open a file in dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) to convert to AAC,
      Where the window appears to set your bitrate/quality setting and the Locate Codec button appears, click on the button just above labeled Browse. (Edit: Click on Locate Encoder, THEN click on Browse).
      This should open the folder for the AAC codec and there should be a file labelled faac (Edit: full name is faac.exe) (it should be the only thing in the folder so you cant really miss it).
      Click on this file, click on Open and then proceed with your conversion.

Please let us know what your results are. I ran across a problem to yours recently and this seemed to fix it (I re-installed the codec as well but I suspect this was not necessary).

Best wishes,
      Bill
      Last edited by xoas; December 02, 2005, 12:48 AM. Reason: Correct some details as noted

Comment

• gameplaya15143
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Sep 2005

which aac/mp4 encoder were you using? faac? nero? itunes/quicktime?

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

My problem was with faac, not with Nero. And it was quite peculiar.
          First the faac aac codec stopped working and I would uniformly get the standard codec error message that the codec required to encode filename could not be opened.
          At this point both the faac m4a/mp4 codec and the mp4 to aac codecs worked fine.

I then downloaded the "new" faac aac codec (I had been using the beta codec which was recently released as the new faac codec, the faac codec had been listed in dMC Configuration as "Unstable"). When I tried installing and using the new faac codec from Codec Central I got a brief error message over which the standard progress conversion bar appeared and the the conversion appeared to complete itself ok but no output file appeared. Yes, I had clicked on the Locate Encoder button and then clicked OK prior to the conversion. This situation was replicable on a variety of different files and formats (I was using wave and ogg vorbis) despite my clicking on the Locate Encoder button, clicking on OK and re-installing the codec and trying again.

The problem went away when I followed the procedure of clicking on the Locate Encoder button to open the codec folder, clicking on Browse, and selecting and opening the codec file (faac.exe). What appears to be happening is that the default Locate Encoder routine for this particular codec appears to be faulty unless you "manually" set the codec even though the file path is correct.

The other peculiar thing was that after I corrected this problem the "missing" output files for the prior conversions (which had the brief error message) appeared in the folder they should have been in (this was all in the course of a single session, I doubt that you would get the same result if you shut down the computer after the failed conversions and before doing this correction to reset the encoder.

I cannot be certain that the original post also involved the faac codec, or that that jwessel also had the same brief error message. That is why I did ask jwessel to let me know if this recommendation was tried and if it worked. (I would have preferred to give this whole explanation but I did not have the time to do it when I posted).

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Update.
            I no longer believe this statement is correct:
            What appears to be happening is that the default Locate Encoder routine for this particular codec appears to be faulty unless you "manually" set the codec even though the file path is correct.
            I tried uninstalling the codec, deleting it from the registery andd restarting the computer, re-installing the codec and using the "automatic" file location. Codec worked without a problem.

So I don't know where my problem came from but I know that it is not the fault of the codec itself.

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

If you have dMC installed to its default location (C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP) the default codec encoder location is correct. Otherwise, you will have to manually change it.

Comment

Working...

]]>