title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't convert real media files any more!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • skilleter
    • May 2004

Can't convert real media files any more!

I've just downloaded and installed the OGG codec and for some reason, possibly coincidental, the Music Converter software now refuses to convert Real Audio .ra or .rm files any more.

When I select a Real file in Explorer, and use the 'convert to' context menu item the configuration dialogue is displayed as usual, I select either MP3 or OGG as the destination format and the progress window is displayed (again, as usual) but it sticks forever (well, for over 5 minutes) at 0% complete.

If I try and cancel the conversion, it asks for confirmation, but carries on whether I answer 'yes' or 'no' and the only way to halt it is to find MusicConverter.exe in Task Manager (which is using 0% CPU and about 8Mb of RAM) and kill it.

Anyway know of a solution?

UPDATE:

I've just re-downloaded and re-installed the DirectShow decoder and Real Alternative with the idea that might fix the problem. I've re-added .ra and .rm via the 'Configure DirectShow Decoder' option in the Start menu and now when I try and convert a Real file, Music Converter suggests I should visit Codec Central to get support for the audio type '.ra', so now I'm now just as stuck as before, only in a different way!

Help?

John
    Last edited by skilleter; November 29, 2005, 09:49 PM.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Can't convert real media files any more!

Did you re-run dMC Configuration after adding .ra and .rm to the "Configure DirectShow Decoder"?

Comment

• skilleter
      • May 2004

Yes, I've re-run dMC Configuration and I can't find anything there about either Real Audio files or the DirectShow decoder there. I still can't convert Real files either.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Conversion of Real Media files will not happen until you have the codec and filters recognized in dMC Configuration.

Dis you install everything while logged in as admin?

Did you install everything concerning dBpowerAMP to the same folder, preferably the one suggested by the installer: c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP ?

Are you attempting to run conversions signed in as admin or at least as a power user?

Comment

• skilleter
          • May 2004

OK, how do I get the codec and filters recognized, or should this 'just happen'?

Everything is installed into default directories. Real Player Alternative and Media Player Classic are in their own directories (again, these were the defaults when I installed them). all the dBPowerAMP stuff is in c:\program files\illustrate\dbpoweramp.

I'm logged in as admin all the time (Windows XP, SP2, up to date with all patches, a/v, firewall)

Thanks for the suggestions.

John

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

When you launched dMC Configuration do you get an entry in the decoders tab for Directshow filter? If so does it show any real media file extensions?

If not try amending the DirectShow filter again - followed by launching dMC Configuration.

Wayne

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Edit the file for the DirectShow filters which should be:
              C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Multiplayer\Input\Dire ctShow\DSExt.txt
              and make sure you've added the filters correctly. Save that. Run dMC Configuration right after this. It should show the filters in place. SOmetimes you have to reboot as well.

Comment

• skilleter
                • May 2004

There's no entry in the 'decoders' tab in dMC Configuration for the DirectShow filter

I've re-re-installed the DirectShow codec, added .ra, .rpm, .rm, .ram & .rmvb in the config file (one entry per line)

This time, when I run dmc Configuration, the DirectShow filter does appear.

However, I'm back where I started - when I try using the converter to convert a Real Audio file, it just stops forever at 0% completed, as per my original message.

:cry:

John

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Is it possible your file is protected? or is it a meta file rather than the actual real audio file?

How long is the file anyway? Do you know any specs of that file?

Can you play it? Can you play it in media Player Classic? How about in Windows Media Player?

If you still ahve the old Real AUdio codec you shuold maybe uninstall it. It doesnt' seem to live well together with Directshow and the filters. Also Real Player will have to be uninstalled.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Does the DirectShow Filter show ".ra .rpm" and all of those entries in the dMC Configuration window?

Comment

• skilleter
                      • May 2004

In the dMC Configuration window, on the 'Installed Decoders' tab, along with other entries for MIDI, MP3, OGG, etc., it shows:

DirectShow Decoder Release 1 .ra; .rpm; .rm; . ram; .rmvb

Regards

John

Comment

• Wayne
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Aug 2002

How big are these files that you have having problems with? Are they purely audio or do they contain a video component?

Wayne

Comment

• skilleter
                          • May 2004

All the files I've tried so far are just audio, downloaded from the BBC7 web site as it happens and are of the order of 12Mb (30 minutes).

Comment

• ChristinaS
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2004

Can you play one of these files in Media Player Classic?

Can you then also play it in WMP ?

What does a test conversion say? (right click, convert to, and select Test Conversion (no write) instead of any other codec).

Are they stereo or mono?

What are you trying to convert them to? Try to convert to PCM wav and select bits as source, frequency as source, channels as source and let's see what it comes up with.

Comment

• skilleter
                              • May 2004

Yes, all the files play OK in Media Player Classic.
                              If I try them in Windows Media Player, it just shows 'Connecting....' and stops responding.
                              A test conversion does much the same as a real one, it just sits there at 0% and I have to kill the software with Task Manager.
                              The files are all stero
                              I've tried coverting to OGG, MP3, FLAC and WAV (with the settings you suggest) and it always just stops at 0% and has to be killed with Task Manger.

Regards

John

Comment

Working...

]]>