title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Enc. to AAC, which is 320kbps?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockumal
    • Nov 2005

Enc. to AAC, which is 320kbps?

When the dbpowerAMP convertor window pops up, and I pick AAC, it gives me several different levels to encode at. It typically starts with Quality 100 (VBR). Which option in the dropdown box is closest to 320kbps?
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Enc. to AAC, which is 320kbps?

VBR 500 will be the closest approximation with the FAAC AAC/m4a codecs.
    FYI-The Nero AAC codec does provide a 320 cbr setting. This codec requires Nero v5 or v6.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

NOTE: If you have Nero7, roll back to Nero6. I'd give you a list of why Nero7 sucks, but that's your own opinion.

For now, I'll just say this: The NeroAAC codec won't work on Nero7, so you MUST roll back to Nero6 for the codec to work.

Good luck.

-Neil out

Comment

• rockumal
        • Nov 2005

Huge thanks guys! I should probably start another thread, but can someone explain the difference between constant (CBR) and variable (VBR) bit rates in terms of sound quality/file size?

I've been using Apple Lossless on my 4th gen iPod for a while, but in order to get the most out of my HDD and battery life I've been moving things over to AAC, with quite a bit of file size savings and not as much sound degredation as I expected. That being said I'm trying to stay as close to the original wavs as I can. Should I be using one over the other? I own Nero 6 so I could use that codec...
        Last edited by rockumal; November 29, 2005, 05:04 AM.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

You can find a good basic explanation of VBR vs, CBR here:

Essentially, vbr allows you to conserve file space while maintaining quality or to improve quality while using a similar amount of file space (vs. the same file at cbr).

There are some trade-offs. File size and actual bitrates are difficult to predict for vbr settings (they will vary from one file to the next). Some portable players may have difficulty in handling vbr files (whether this is true of your iPod I really don't know but my guess is that I don't think so).

If you use the Nero codec, be sure to also keep the FAAC codec installed also, since the Nero codec encodes only. You may find the Nero codec more to your liking (in cbr it supports up to 448 kbs).

Some users prefer to archive their files in a lossless format and convert them to lossy format (saving the lossless original) for use on their portable player (where space is at a premium and quality is usually not quite as important).

Best wishes,
          Bill
          Last edited by xoas; November 29, 2005, 09:06 PM. Reason: See post below, Thanks, Christina!

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by xoas
            Some users prefer to archive their files in a [COLOR=Red]lossy[/COLOR] format and convert them to lossy format (saving the lossless original) for use on their portable player (where space is at a premium and quality is usually not quite as important).
            I think you mean [COLOR=Green]lossless[/COLOR] rather than [COLOR=Red]lossy[/COLOR], don't you?

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Stick with CBR, in my opinion. It's "universal", whereas VBR is a little "newer."

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2005

as far as i know, aac is vbr no matter what. even when set to cbr, most (all that i have seen) will fluxuate at least by 1kbps.
                im not too sure why you would want to use 320kbps with aac though.. seems like a bit of a waste to me

Comment

• LtData
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • May 2004

That sounds like Ogg Vorbis CBR, which is also basically "emulated" CBR

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                    That sounds like Ogg Vorbis CBR, which is also basically "emulated" CBR
                    yup! i have never seen a true cbr aac file.

it seems that faac maxes out around 300kbps at quality 500. the max when the bitrate switch is used is lower, somewhere near 270kbps

Comment

Working...

]]>