title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

wma to mp3

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spike65
    • Nov 2005

wma to mp3

I am trying to convert some music from.wma to mp3 but when is tries it opens a box with the message that the .wma is encrptyed and unable to decode. how do i get round that? i have only got the trial version, do i need to purchase the full one?
    thanks
    steve
    Last edited by spike65; November 27, 2005, 06:43 PM. Reason: adding more info
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: wma to mp3

You can not use dMC to directly convert encrypted wma files. Currently there are two indirect methods to convert protected WMA files:

1. Burn them to a CD (using WMP) and then rip them (from the CD) as MP3.
    2. Play them in WMP and use software on your PC, such as Auxiliary Input, to record the music as it is played.

Wayne

Comment

• gameplaya15143
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2005

something to try... will lose the tags though...

use the directshow input plugin for dmc, and add wma to the extention list, it might convert

also, the old wma input plugin for winamp is rumored to ignore wma encryption, so that is your other option

if both of those ways dont work, then i would use aux-in or audacity or some other program to record it through the soundcard

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

I don't think that would work at all. DRM prohibits conversions, it wouldn't cease working in such a simple manner.

I don't see how you can fake a directshow filter for wma. This sounds more lilke a recipe for headache later on when you wonder why wma conversions don't work despite having everyhting else installed, and forgetting about such an attempt to fool DirecShow.

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

Auxiliary Input. My favorite cuz you get to listen to the song while you convert.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
            I don't think that would work at all. DRM prohibits conversions, it wouldn't cease working in such a simple manner.

I don't see how you can fake a directshow filter for wma. This sounds more lilke a recipe for headache later on when you wonder why wma conversions don't work despite having everyhting else installed, and forgetting about such an attempt to fool DirecShow.
            windows media source filter IS a directshow filter, WMP plays everything through directshow. i do NOT know if doing what i mentioned will work, as i am not foolish enough to have any drm infected stuff. I would like the chance to play with some DRM infected junk, but untill then.... it also makes me wonder if graphedit could be used to trick it into converting :teufel8:

but still the easiest way: record through soundcard

Comment

• shahensha
              • Dec 2005

To anyone interested. I came to this forum a few days ago trying to convert my 100 encrypted WMA's to MP3's I have found the easiest software solution i think. First go to this link:

Oooops, looks like the page you requested could not be found. Please check the URL for proper spelling and capitalization.

and purchase Nero Ultra 6 for $8. This will give you all the nessasary tools. Download and install all the apps in Nero Ultra6 (altho you will only use 3 interfaces).

Start Nero StartSmart, go to the Audio tab and select make an Audio CD. This starts NeroExpress. Click "add" and proceed to select all the encrypted WMA till you fill up one cd. Click on the "next" button and in the next window select the "current recorder" to be an Image Recorder. Proceed to burn the cd, the resulting .nrg file should be created in the folder where you added the WMA's from. Close Nero Express.

Next go back to nero StartSmart and expand the "application" tab and select NeroImgae drive. You will have to setup NeroImage Drive the very first time since it configures your system to add a virtual CD drive. From Nero ImageDrive enable the first drive then select and mount the .nrg file you created in the previous step. Close Nero ImageDrive.

Start Nero StartSmart again and goto the audio tools and select "Convert Audio CD's to Audio Files". When Nero Startsup choose the IMAGEDRIVE that has your .nrg mounted now. If you have registered Nero You can use the PowerPack Lame MP3 Encoder, if not you can download the Lame mp3 plugin for nero from

This website is for sale! cd-rw.org is your first and best source for information about cd rw. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

The plugin will go into the plugins directory for Nero

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\AudioPlugins

You should see all the tracks listed ready to be ripped, select the output format, Lame mp3 or otherwise, choose the proper encoding setting and specify the output path and file name creation format. Click Go wait for a few moments and you are Done!

Encrypted WMA's are now MP3, with their names intact, but the wma tag info is not transfered. But its sweet none the less.

I feel good about sticking it to MS!!! Now if Ahead would just automate this entire procedure!

Enjoy.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

Easier to use Windows Media Player itself to burn an audio cd with your encrypted files and then rip the cd using dMC Audio CD Input. No need of extra programs.

In any case this is all covered at great length in the DRM forum.
                Last edited by ChristinaS; December 14, 2005, 03:59 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

Why would you need Nero? If you want virtual drives and REAL crack-down on Audio CD protection, use A Ray Scanner + Alcohol 120%.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by neilthecellist
                    Why would you need Nero? If you want virtual drives and REAL crack-down on Audio CD protection, use A Ray Scanner + Alcohol 120%.
                    Audio CD protection wasn't mentioned in this thread, was it?

Why bring in unnecesary complications, Neil?

Best to use what you have handy at all times rather than look elsewhere for what is right there.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2005

yea, creating an audio cd image, mounting it, then ripping it will work

but it makes me wonder... are there any virtual drives that can create cd/dvd images?

for example, use any program, select the virtual drive to burn to (instead of the real burner), the software then creates an iso image with the raw data

(if alcahol 120% or daemon tools can already do this, im gonna feel really stupid)

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Virtual CD programs make no difference when ripping copy protected CDs, if the drive cannot read the data it cannot read it through anything.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Spoon
                          Virtual CD programs make no difference when ripping copy protected CDs, if the drive cannot read the data it cannot read it through anything.
                          um.. i dont think the topic was about copy protected, i mean restriced, CDs :yawn:

or do things the real easy way... try using u_n_f_u_c_k (without the underscores, had to do it that way so it wont get sensored) for wma drm v1
                          or try 'freeme' for wma drm v2. those are designed to un-drm wma, without re-encoding.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2004

Discontinued because it won't work on newer DRM systems.
                            Get info here for new methods:
                            Source: http://members.home.nl/icq99/un*bloo...er*/index2.htm

Comment

Working...

]]>