title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting From CDA on Audio RW to WAV

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beshires
    • Nov 2005

Converting From CDA on Audio RW to WAV

Hello,
    I've used the program for some time and really enjoy it. My problems started when i tried to convert from CDA recorded on Music RW discs to CDA. I get this error message -

CODEC decompression error for 'F:\Track01.cda'
    Unable to Rip track - make sure correct Ripping method is selected and CD Drive supports digital audio extraction.

I have had no probem converting from Music R discs. I haven't changed any of the settings, but it will not convert to WAV using Music RWs. The reason I want to use RWS is that I have a large collection of stuff on cassette and have to first transfer to Music Discs then to WAV. Buying Music Rs is getting to be a bit costly, thus why I want to use Music RW.

Any suggestions for my problem?
    Jimb
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Converting From CDA on Audio RW to WAV

Are those cd's closed? Can they be played in a regular cd player?

Comment

• beshires
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      Are those cd's closed? Can they be played in a regular cd player?
      Yes, they are. Also they are recorded in analog, but it appears to me that somehow dbpower is trying to recognize them as digital.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Recorded in analog? How so?
        If they are wave or CD format they should still be digital, I would think.
        Can you put one of these disks in a drive, click on My Computer, click on your drive and Explore or vrowse the contents? Can you see the files that way? If so, can you select one or more tracks, right-click and select Convert To?

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• beshires
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by xoas
          Recorded in analog? How so?
          If they are wave or CD format they should still be digital, I would think.
          Can you put one of these disks in a drive, click on My Computer, click on your drive and Explore or vrowse the contents? Can you see the files that way? If so, can you select one or more tracks, right-click and select Convert To?

Best wishes,
          Bill
          Yes, I can see the files but when you try to convert them, you get the error message. I can play them fine in a disc player or on the computer, but dbpower will not convert them. As I said, it will convert files burned to Music R discs.
          I can convert them using another program, but I get a lot of static in doing so. There is no static when playing them. I'd really like to be able to convert them via dppower as it is by far my favorite program.
          jimb

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

What program did you use to burn these cd's?

Comment

• beshires
              • Nov 2005

What program did you use to burn these cd's?
              I used a stand alone Sony Cd-Recorder. I have a cassette deck hooked up to it and am transferring stuff from cassette to CDA. Then transferring from CDA to WAV so I can clean up some of the hiss from the tapes. As I said, I don't have any problems copying to Audio CD-R, and transferring to WAV, but dbpower will not read from Audio CD-RW.

Comment

• Wayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Aug 2002

What software do you use to play these CDs on your computer? WMP? dAP?

It's not supplied by Sony I hope ;(

Wayne

Comment

• beshires
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Wayne
                  What software do you use to play these CDs on your computer? WMP? dAP?

It's not supplied by Sony I hope ;(

Wayne
                  They will play in my cd player, my boombox, my car stereo, on my computer using WinAmp or Jukebox, or using the Windows audio player. The problem is that dbpower will not convert from CDA to WAV if the program is recorded on a CD RW.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Ok, I don't know if you have already checked this but ehre's somehting:

Click on My Computer > right click on your cd drive > select properties > select the Hardware tab > again select your cd drive and click Properties > Once mroe click the Properties tab > what does it say about Enable digital audio for thsi CD ROM device?

Maybe you either need to turn that on or off and try again to rip your cd.

Comment

• Wayne
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Aug 2002

Have you tried some of the other options available to Audio CD Input such as Table of Contents (I think)?

Wayne

Comment

• beshires
                        • Nov 2005

Ok, I don't know if you have already checked this but ehre's somehting:

Click on My Computer > right click on your cd drive > select properties > select the Hardware tab > again select your cd drive and click Properties > Once mroe click the Properties tab > what does it say about Enable digital audio for thsi CD ROM device?

Maybe you either need to turn that on or off and try again to rip your cd.
                        Did that, didn't work. I'm beginning to think that it has something to do with CD-RWs. The first burn to a RW in CDA format will convert to WAV fine. Then when I unfinalize the disc, erase the tracks, and do another burn, the CDA is still fine, you can play it anywhere, but dbpower won't convert the second burn to WAV.

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2002

My limited experience, which I re-confirmed today using one of my cd-rw's, is that dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) can read and convert tracks recorded in standard CD to a cd-rw disc just fine.

Which leads me to ask (following up on Wayne's idea), where did the original files come from? If these were copy-protected downloaded files, there may still be some DRM protection that is being applied that might prevent re-ripping these tracks (in which case you would have to use Audio CD Input). If this theory is correct, the issue would be the same if you used cd-r discs rather than cd-rw discs. You may want to check the documentation for your Sony recorder to see if it can shed some light on whether it sets any limitations it may be placing on cd's you are burning with respect to the ability to do future rips from these cd's.

However, there are 2 other ideas worth exploring:
                          1) Following up on Wayne's second idea, open Audio CD Input, click on the downward-pointing arrow next to the Options icon, click on Standard CD Player Emulation. Note the item that says Table of Contents Detection. If it is checked, uncheck it. If it is unchecked, check it.
                          2) If this does not work, then (with Audio CD Input still open) click on options. Making sure that your drive with the CD-RW disc is selected as the active drive, click on the Advanced icon on the line for selecting your drive. Change CD Communication to Windows Internal (Limited), click OK, click OK and see if that helps.

Best wishes,
                          Bill

Comment

• beshires
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by xoas
                            However, there are 2 other ideas worth exploring:
                            1) Following up on Wayne's second idea, open Audio CD Input, click on the downward-pointing arrow next to the Options icon, click on Standard CD Player Emulation. Note the item that says Table of Contents Detection. If it is checked, uncheck it. If it is unchecked, check it.
                            2) If this does not work, then (with Audio CD Input still open) click on options. Making sure that your drive with the CD-RW disc is selected as the active drive, click on the Advanced icon on the line for selecting your drive. Change CD Communication to Windows Internal (Limited), click OK, click OK and see if that helps.

Best wishes,
                            Bill
                            Hi All,
                            I tried changing settings in the Audio CD Input and that worked! I've burned, copied to WAV and erased several discs with no trouble now. Thanks very much to all who offered suggestions. You're going to save me a ton of money.
                            I transfer old time radio programs from cassette to WAV format(and eventually to mp3s) for this on-line group I belong to. I was having to buy Audio CD-R's at $16.00 per 30 until I got this new recorder that would take Audio CD-RWs. I go thru at least 120 hours of programs a month which is about $64.00 worth of discs. Now, with an investment of $6.00 for three RWS, I'll be saving over $750.00 a year!
                            Jim Beshires

Comment

• Wayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Aug 2002

Glad to be of service. I'm sorry my suggestion wasn't as detailed as Bill's. Unfortunately I was at work when I posted it and didn't have a version of CD Audio Input to check against.

Wayne

Comment

Working...

]]>