title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

VBR for WMA greyed out

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • samhande
    • Nov 2005

VBR for WMA greyed out

I am trying to convert some MP3 files to VBR WMA format. When I pull up dBPowerAmp Music Converter, using either the WMA V9 or 9.1 codec on my XP machine, I see the CBR and the 2-Pass click areas, but the VBR is greyed out. The codec in the display window says WM-Audio.

I can use variable bit rates in MP3 mode too. Any suggestions on how to get WMA VBR to work? Thanks!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: VBR for WMA greyed out

What version of dBpowerAMP Music Converter are you using?
    In my version (the 11.5 release version) the WMA 9.1 codec has a menu to allow to choose between different WMA codecs including Windows Media 9.1, Windows Media 9.1 Voice, ACELP.net, Windows Media 9.1 Professional, and Windows Media 9.1 Lossless. I note that the ACELP.net and the Windows Media 9.1 Voice codecs have the VBR setting greyed out. The Windows Media Lossless has the CBR and 2 Pass options grayed out.
    Are you sure that you do not have the Codec set to ACELP.net or (more likely) Windows Media 9.1 Voice?

What options are you being shown for bitrate and frequency?

Comment

• samhande
      • Nov 2005

I am using Version 11.5 of dBpowerAMP Music Converter. I have both WMA V9 and V9.1 that appear in my pull-down menu. I have two menu Codec choices ACELP and WM-Audio. I am trying to use the latter for VBR encoding 64kbps, 44kHz, stereo.

While CBR and 2-pass are available, the VBR button is not available (greyed out). Thanks for your suggestions.

Originally posted by xoas
      What version of dBpowerAMP Music Converter are you using?
      In my version (the 11.5 release version) the WMA 9.1 codec has a menu to allow to choose between different WMA codecs including Windows Media 9.1, Windows Media 9.1 Voice, ACELP.net, Windows Media 9.1 Professional, and Windows Media 9.1 Lossless. I note that the ACELP.net and the Windows Media 9.1 Voice codecs have the VBR setting greyed out. The Windows Media Lossless has the CBR and 2 Pass options grayed out.
      Are you sure that you do not have the Codec set to ACELP.net or (more likely) Windows Media 9.1 Voice?

What options are you being shown for bitrate and frequency?

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Do you have WMP installed?
        If so, do you have WMP 10 installed?
        If WMP is not installed, did you have the WMA system codec files properly installed for the WMA v9 codec installed (according to the outlines for this codec in Codec Central)?

If the answer is Yes to the first question or to the third question, then the WMA v9 codec should give you more options (acelp.net and WM-Audio) than you describe. Likewise, if your answer to the second question is yes then you should also have more options than you describe.

If you don't have WMP 10, don't mess with the WMA 9.1 codec. Rely on the WMA v9 codec instead.
        If you don't have WMP installed, and if you are only just using dBpowerAMP Music Converter for WMA files, the likely problem is not having the WMA system codecs properly installed with a full system shutdown following installation. Uninstall the codec (using Add?Remove Programs from the Control Panel) and re-install.
        If WMP is installed, or if you are sure that the WMA system codecs were properly installed, uninstall the codec and reinstall the codec. If you have re-installed from previously saved dowloaded files and re-installation does not work, try uninstalling and downloading and installing a new version of the codec.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• samhande
          • Nov 2005

Finally figured it out! For whatever reason I needed to reinstall WMP 10. Adding/deleting the WMA codec had no effect. VBR is now fully finctional. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...

]]>