title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rename files copied from portable... Doesn't work.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • panamajuice
    • Nov 2005

Rename files copied from portable... Doesn't work.

This is a very important feature for me because I have many song on my portable that have the same file name. When I transfer this songs to my computer, only one is able to transfer, the rest stays in the portable cause windows will not allow to files to have the same name in the same folder.

The thing I like about this software is the option to RENAME FILES COPIED FROM PORTABLE ie: [artist]\[album]\[artist] - [track] . It was even supposed to put them in folders corresponding to each album and each artist... The problem is that even if I check the box corresponding to that feature, the song all end up in the same folder and no change is made to the file name.

Please help, I have not purshased this program yet but I will after I learn how to use this function.

Thanks.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Rename files copied from portable... Doesn't work.

Isn't there another field you can add to the file name mask - a unique number, generated by the program?

Try to set the file naming convention to:
    [artist]\[album]\[artist] - [track][COLOR=Blue]_[unique][/COLOR]
    I know there is such a field that can be defined in the program dMC CD AUdio Input when ripping audio cd's.

Comment

• panamajuice
      • Nov 2005

Thank you for your response.

Isn't there another field you can add to the file name mask - a unique number, generated by the program?
      That could work... the problem I´m having is that the program is not "Renaming files copied from portable" at all, the files don´t change name nor folder. They all end up in the same folder that I picked at the beggining of transfer.

I could just grab album by album and create folders with the name of each album in windows and then transfer them... that would be alot of work, I got more than 500 albums.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Are the tags for your files correct? That's probably where Sveta pulls the artist/title/album name from.

Comment

• panamajuice
          • Nov 2005

Are the tags for your files correct? That's probably where Sveta pulls the artist/title/album name from.
          Yes they are all correct, my player is all ordered using the tags. Everything is in it´s artist and album.

Do you guys use this function(rename files when transfer)?, does it work for you?

Thanks.
          Last edited by panamajuice; November 18, 2005, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

But how is it possible that your portable allows several files with the same name to exist in the same folder? Or are they in different folders on the portable?

Comment

• panamajuice
              • Nov 2005

Since the player (CREATIVE XTRA) uses the IDtag to order the files not the FILE name, everything is in order. But when I transfer to windows which uses File name and not IDtag, everything ends up in the same folder, all together.

So if I have 10 diferent versions of ie: "no woman no cry", only one version will go to the player cause the FILE name is "no woman no cry", it is the IDtag that says that each song version is from a diferent album. Windows does not see the IDtag.

If this software could take into consideration the IDtag when transfering, then it could place each version of "no woman no cry" in a diferent subfolder(album) in a diferent folder (artist). [artist]/[album]/[track]

Comment

• ChristinaS
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2004

OK, I still don't quite follow. The path+file names cannot be the same on either device: your portable and the pc.

Your portable may be displaying ID tags, yet files must have different names or at least the combination path+file name is unique for all of them.

If you are able to see your portable as an external drive in Windows Explorer, you should be able to see the folder and file structure. You can most probably copy entire folders to your pc's HD just by using the Windows Explorer highlight and right-click copy function.

Comment

• panamajuice
                  • Nov 2005

ChristinaS,

I appreciatte your help, Thank you. :komisch9:

When I open my Creative, I got to Artists and the I browse thru a list of Artist. When I chosse one, I go to a list of albums from that Artist.
                  When I open my player using Sveta I see one big list of songs, each one having diferent artist and albums listed on the right side of the window.

When I grab all those files and transfer them to my HD, my computer puts them all in on folder, all together.

Anyways, I already found a way... I got another software that did just what I wanted... It renamed each file acording to it's tag when transfering. It's called RedChair.

Thank you.,

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Panamajuice, I was referring to not using any programs like that, just good old WIndows Explorer to copy and drop all files from one drive to another.

Sometimes relying on programs that interpret file based on iffy things like ID tags isn't the best solution. Get down to the actual files and forget the "interpreters".

Comment

Working...

]]>