title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Support for the blind!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akristopherk
    • Nov 2005

Support for the blind!

To whom it may concern.

I am posting this here, as I am unable to find a better location.

This is in regards to my uncle who is blind. I have used Dbpoweramp for some time so I highly recommended this program to him. I am still a believer in this program as I feel it is quite solid and have never encountered any "Bugs" to speak of.

That is until this afternoon when my uncle and I attempted to interface with the Audio input to rip a CD and found that your buttons are either not labeled or done poorly. This was never an issue for me as I can see where to point the mouse! The end result is that this program cannot be used by him (who has purchased a registered version I might add) and while his screen reader (Window Eyes By GWMicro) seems to "see" the buttons they are not accessible through his keyboard. This is not only disappointing but also highly frustrating as my Uncles love for music is tremendous. He utilizes a music database on a computer to store and access his music. It is one thing for me to do the ripping but why should I have all the fun when my Uncle is just as capable if not more so.

To the point. If there is something that we are missing as far as hot keys we would be grateful if someone pointed us in the right direction.

If not then might I suggest that the programmer’s here take a look at their accessibility issues and possibly in future versions ads the correct labeling and access.

Sincerely Aaron And Darrell
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Support for the blind!

How do the labels for the buttons need to be changed? Do they need to be excluded from the icons and put below them?

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Actually I think he's referring to allowing keyboard shortcuts rather than requiring mouse clicks. Probably button tags as well, if they don't show up on hover or as read by a text tool.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The buttons are a custom control, there is no text associated, only graphics.

There is a whole new button system in the wings waiting for dMC R12, these have been designed with blind people in mind, if I could have some blind users who wish to test the new buttons (it will be many months before they appear in dbpoweramp), especially testing how they work with a screen reader, email:

Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

To add to this request, I'd like to know how one can set the bitrate for an mp3 conversion (with no presets) without using the slider, by using the keyboard or else if there is a file or registry key that may be edited to achieve the same.

Or is there a preset for the lowest bitrate perhaps? 32kbps?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

R12 fixes that problem...
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>