title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

is there away to convert m4a to mp4?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    • Nov 2005

is there away to convert m4a to mp4?

hi there,

i have tried to convert my mp3 files to mp4. i have downloaded the mp4 codec and have installed it. however, the files converted are having the extension of .m4a instead of mp4. Is there a way to solve this? Or, there are other codec that i need to download and install? please help ....

your kind advice would be highly appreciated.

thank you so much!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: is there away to convert m4a to mp4?

In the %Install Path%\dBpowerAMP\Compression\m4a (FAAC CLI) folder, you will find a file named "Options.txt". On the second line, change .m4a to .mp4.

Also, for your current files, just show file extensions and then change the extension from .m4a to .mp4, as they are exactly the same type of file. See here for showing extensions in Explorer: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=5361
    Last edited by LtData; November 10, 2005, 04:06 AM.

Comment

• Jason
      • Nov 2005

hello again,

thank you so much for the prompt reply and solution. yes, i followed the steps and got it fixed. you guys are truly amazing .. truly appreciate it!!!

by the way, i came across a forum stating that using dbpoweramp to convert mp3 to mp4 (not mp4a), AAC 96kb/s = mp3 128 kb/s. is that true? the sound quality of mp4 96kb/s will sound as good as mp3 128 kb/s? how come the one that i converted is not? is that statement valid?

once again, hope you could enlighten me on this ...

keep up the good work guys! you're the man!!!

regards,

jason

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

As it has been mentioned before, sound quaity across formats depends on the quality of your equiptment (speakers, soundcard) and the quality of your hearing. Some people can detect a difference, some cannot. Its all up to personal choice, as everyone person hears things differently.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

aac @ 96kbps != mp3 @ 128kbps no matter what encoder you use

aac 96kbps (psytel aacenc) is comparable in quality to a 112kbps mp3 (lame) (both with the lowpass shut off), so aac isnt really much (if any) better than mp3.... and faac is probably about the same quality as lame mp3 (a bit worse than lame in my opinion)

the reason for using m4a instead of mp4 is so that you can associate them to different players in windows, as m4a would only contain audio content, it could be associated to your audio player (ie. winamp which cant handle mp4 video); mp4 can have audio, video, or some combination that some (prolly most) audio players cant handle.. so i must ask, why do you need mp4 instead of m4a?

Comment

Working...

]]>