title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dMC hangs trying to convert .ac3 file

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sackingsfan
    • Nov 2005

dMC hangs trying to convert .ac3 file

I'm using the latest registered version of dbpowerAMP Music Converter and I've installed the latest version of ac3filter (currently running v1.01a, but I've tried the latest "stable" version and gotten the same results).

I create an .ac3 file by using the DVD Audio Extrator utility to rip a song from a DVD using "demux" mode. I then try to convert this .ac3 file to any other format (including the "test" mode) and it always hangs at 0% complete. I try pressing CANCEL but it never stops the conversion and I eventually have to cntl-alt-del and forcibly kill the dMC program.

I can take this same .ac3 file and use BeSweet to convert it without a problem using the AZID filter.

Any ideas why dMC is hanging on these .ac3 files? Any suggestions to try? Any data you need me to collect to help troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: dMC hangs trying to convert .ac3 file

I assume you have the DirectShow Decoder installed, and .ac3 on the first line in the config file?

Comment

• sackingsfan
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by LtData
      I assume you have the DirectShow Decoder installed, and .ac3 on the first line in the config file?
      Yes, and I've run the dMC Configuration utility to verify that it sees .ac3 and DirectShow as a valid decoder.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Does the file play fine in Windows Media Player.
        Note that if you listen to the file and then try to convert it, you'll most likely set a "bookmark" which dMC only converts to, or only converts from that point.

Comment

• sackingsfan
          • Nov 2005

Does the file play fine in Windows Media Player.
          Are you referring to the original .ac3 file? If so, I've never known that WMP could play an .ac3 file directly so I've never tried loading one of these .ac3 files into WMP.

I just tried loading the .ac3 file into my WMP 10 player and it doesn't play the file at all. Again, I didn't think WMP had native support for .ac3 formats. Is there a codec or plug-in for WMP that I need to install to play .ac3 files?

If you weren't referring to the .ac3 file when you asked about playing in WMP then I'm not sure which file you're referring to.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

The ac3filter should enable WMP to play .ac3 files, so it seems like something may not be configured properly.

Comment

• sackingsfan
              • Nov 2005

The ac3filter should enable WMP to play .ac3 files, so it seems like something may not be configured properly.
              Any ideas what to check?

I've tried pulling up the ac3filter control panel screen and re-loading the "standard" template, so I know I'm using all default values. Same results.

Any way from within WMP to know if it sees ac3filter properly?

Comment

• sackingsfan
                • Nov 2005

A few more data points:

I loaded the .ac3 file into WMP and it does at least come up with the correct title for the song and the correct length of the track. However, when I hit the "play" key the WMP freezes and I have to forcibly kill it - same as dMC.

I tried un-installing AC3Filter and installing the very latest beta version (1_02a_test8) and get the same problems. I can invoke the AC3Filter configuration screen from within WMP by going to the Tools->Options->DVD screen and hitting the "Advanced" button, so it seems at least WMP knows about AC3Filter. Again, I'm using all default values for AC3Filter, so if there is something I need to change in the configuration to get it to work properly with WMP please let me know.

Thanks!

Comment

• sackingsfan
                  • Nov 2005

I've found a possible solution.

I tried generating the same .ac3 file using DVD Decrypter by specifying DEMUX mode and it created the same non-functional .ac3 file. I then told DVD Decrypter to create an .ac3 file using RAW mode. This .ac3 file could be played directly in WMP 10 and it converted using dMC just fine.

Looks like a "demux" .ac3 file doesn't work well with WMP 10 or dMC.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2005

i think that when you demux the ac3 from a vob it sometimes ends up with a bad header or something, it has happened to me once or twice, i dont remember what i did to fix it though.

Comment

• sackingsfan
                      • Nov 2005

Another update...

I've had much better luck with DVD Decrypter and using RAW decoding. WMP 10 plays these .ac3 files and I'm able to convert most of them with dMC just fine.

However, one of my DVD's that I'm trying to rip audio from is still having problems. 19 of the 21 tracks convert just fine with dMC. The remaining two tracks fail to convert. The symptoms are that dMC immediately indicates that the conversion was completed and the resulting .wma file is only 5 KB large. I've tried re-ripping these tracks several times but I keep getting conversion failures with only these two tracks.

Again, WMP 10 plays the .ac3 files just fine but dMC won't convert them correctly. I've tried different versions of the AC3Filter software but get the same results with every version.

Now, if I use DVD Decrypter to rip these tracks using "DEMUX" mode then I can convert them to WAV just fine using BeSweet with the AZID filter. As I said previously, when I try using these "demux" .ac3 files with dMC or WMP 10 it causes them to freeze and I have to forcibly kill them.

Has anyone seen a case like this where dMC says the conversion completed correctly but the resulting file is tiny and won't play?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...

]]>