title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

need smaller compression

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hemi426go
    • Nov 2005

need smaller compression

I am trying to compress a wav file to around 350 to 700 kbs. I could do this with my older version . But cannot get it that low with this version. Am I missing something/ I have set the bitrate, and mhz as low as possible, but am still coming up with a 2.5 to 3.5 megs finished wav.
    This is so I can play compressed waves in a music chat room. I cannot play anything larger that this.
    Any suggestions?
    If this is not possible, how can I get an older version of dbpoweramp?
    Thanks.
    Hemi
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: need smaller compression

Try lowering the channels to mono, mabye?

Comment

• Hemi426go
      • Nov 2005

I have my settings at 8000 mgz and 8 bit....mono....I know the quality will be lousy there, but that is lowest setting possible. Wanted to see if that would give me a smalle enough file...still comes out at 2.5 megs

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

The frequency is irrelevant when it comes to size, only audio quality in respect to the bitrate itself. Lower bitrates (like 32kbps and lower) seem to sound better with a lower frequency.

If I understand correctly you want to produce a compressed wav file because wav is what's needed in your application, rather than mp3 or wma.

What settings did you use in dMC ?

I select wav > compressed > Change format > mpeg layer 3 > 16 kBit/s 8000 Hertz Mono 1 kb/sec

This results in a lo-fi wav file which occupies about 117K per minute of audio. So a typical 3 minute song would be about 350K.
        Last edited by ChristinaS; November 04, 2005, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Hemi426go
          • Nov 2005

Thank you Christina...that solved my problem. :smile2:

Comment

Working...

]]>