title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using dMC from a separate app

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nbcline81
    • Oct 2005

Using dMC from a separate app

I know this is probably a noob question....but I have looked around on the forums for a while and couldn't find anything.

I am using "LP Ripper" and I want to be able to use dMC as a custom app inside of the program. But, I do not know the line I need to use to accomplish what I want.

I could just use the option to cut all of the files into .wav's and still may have to, but that is why I am asking this question.

Basically, LP Ripper has an "infile" .mp3 that is uses. I want to be able to enter the proper line into the "encoder parameters" to use the program (I.E.
    -- standard parameters [infile][outfile]) or something like that.

Basically I am batch processing a bunch of files and "LP Ripper" has a nice ID3 editor and prompts before each conversion.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use this? Or should I just convert them to .wav's and then edit the ID3 tags in another app?

Thanks for the help.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Using dMC from a separate app

dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) will let you record from LP, tape, radio, or other sources using Auxilary Input (as well as ripping from cd and converting from existing audio files) and dBpowerAMP has some standard tag editing capabilities in its standard version and expanded tag editing capacity with the Power Pack installed.

I am not entirely sure why you couldn't do as well just using dMC unless your tags contain unicode characters, album art, are lengthy comment fields or non-standard tag fields (in which case dMC's tag editing features may not help at all, if that is the case it is not clear to me why or how dMC would help you at all).

My reservations may well be a product of some ignorance on my part. Unfortunately I also don't have sufficient knowledge to be able to help on the question of whether and how to use dMC inside another app.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• nbcline81
      • Oct 2005

Well it's not just the ID3 capabilities that lean me towards that program for that particular portion of the conversion. It also has good wav editing capabilities when you are chopping up a long wav into separate tracks. But the conversion in the program is not very good, so that is why I want to use dMC as the custom converter inside the program.

I guess i should mention that it has the option to use a custom converter. You just have to know the command line parameters to use it. Basically, it wants to know all the conversion parameters, such as the input file and the output file.

Since dMC uses a window to select the input file...i was wondering if it could use the "infile.mp3" used by the program to do the conversion.

What i get is a conversion...but it's called infile and it's not called whatever it should be according to the ID3 editing that i have done.

Thanks.
      Last edited by nbcline81; October 29, 2005, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

If you managed to use dMC the way you want it, from LP ripper, to convert to wav, then you should convert to a different lsosless format instead of wav, where you can retain the id3 tag information. Try lossless wma for instance.

You will get a file called infile.wma, but it will have the tagging information of your original infile.mp3 . After that you can use the "arrange music" utiliity codec (which you can download from Codec Central) from dMC to change the file name according to the tag information.

If you still need to further convert to a wav file, you can do so at this point.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

According to this thread here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8592
          it looks like you cannot access dMC from another app using a command line interface, only by scripting. There are some resources for how the script might look if you are interested.

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

• nbcline81
            • Oct 2005

Yeah the more we got talking about it the more i was beginning to think this might not be possible. Given that dMC is it's own program and not a command line program.

Just out of curiousity how would you use a script file to access dMC?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

I thought I understood that you had already managed to use it but as it was converting a file name infile.mp3 straight away to wav the name was infile.wav and naturally the tagging information was gone as wav files do not have tags.

But rereading your post I see that exactly what you didn't like is how your progam LP ripper converts to mp3. Sorry, I was looking from the wrong end of the problem LOL!

Probably what you want is to use Lame mp3 as CLI so LP Ripper can use that to convert.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

There is both the Developer forum for scripting and the Developer button at the top of the page that have help for scripting dMC.

Comment

• xoas
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2002

Just out of curiousity how would you use a script file to access dMC?
                  Courtesy of Spoon and iTunesisevil, here are two pertinant threads here:
                  http://www.dbpoweramp.com/developer-scripting-dmc.htm (the official Spoon version);
                  http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=7883 (an alternative courtesy of iTunesisevil).

If you are trying to record from LP or other external source straight to mp3, your unhappiness may be due to your procedure of recording straight to mp3 (this is kind of a problem for dMC Auxilary Input if you try to convert straight from source to mp3 or other format, it records first to wave and then converts to mp3 which creates a little hiccup in the recording process). If this is the problem you are encountering, Christina's suggestion is worth a try but you may well need to settle for recording to wave, converting to mp3 and figure out the best spot to split the long wave files and handle the tag information.

Best wishes,
                  Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2004

Record to wma lossless perhaps ?

Comment

Working...

]]>