title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The CODEC required to compress '[ogg file i'm trying to convert]' could not be opened

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dolseni
    • Oct 2005

The CODEC required to compress '[ogg file i'm trying to convert]' could not be opened

I've read the other topics with similar problems and basically all they ever say is to install newer codecs (newest is installed) install a new version of dmc (newest is installed) or to try the beta codes (same problem)

i'm trying to convert some ogg files to mp3 with the same channels and frequency as the source.

any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: The CODEC required to compress '[ogg file i'm trying to convert]' could not be opened

I assume you have the Ogg Vorbis codec installed.
    Are you still in the trial period or purchased the registered version, or has your trial expired? If your trial expired, you can no longer convert to mp3, sorry. This is due to patent issues.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2005

Re: The CODEC required to compress '[ogg file i'm trying to convert]' could not be op

for encoding to mp3.. 2 options
      1) buy dbpoweramp
      2) use the generic cli plugin and use lame.exe to encode :smile2:

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Re: The CODEC required to compress '[ogg file i'm trying to convert]' could not be opened

Assuming you have the ogg vorbis codec installed and you have the mp3 encoder codec installed (which requires either an active trial version of dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC), or a registered version of dMC (meanining you have paid for the Power Pack)) here are some things to do:

1. Try taking one of these ogg vorbis files (one that will not convert to mp3) and try a test conversion. This is just like converting to mp3 except that where you select mp3 as your output format you choose "Test Conversion (No Write)". This will work very fast. Either it will work (in which case the window that displays the progress of the conversion will show that the conversion is completed and it will display the speed of the test conversion, there is no output file created) or it will fail and you will get an error message. Test conversion shows whether dMC can read your source file (in this case your .ogg file).

2. If the test conversion fails, check your dMC configuration (go Start>All Programs>dBpowerAMP Music Converter>Configuration>dBpowerAMP Configuration). Check to see whether this shows that you have an ogg vorbis input decoder installed. If it does not show, you may not have noticed that the aoTuV codecs (both v3 and the b4 beta codecs) will not decode (or read) .ogg files. You need the regular ogg vorbis codec for that (if you are using aoTuV b4, then there is a beta ogg vorbis standard codec from the beta forum you need to use with these, I believe).

3. If your dMC configuration shows the ogg vorbis input decoder codec as being installed (and still assuming the test conversion failed), note the version number. Then look at the file properties of your .ogg file and note the bits, frequency, bitrate and channels for the .ogg file. See if you can play the .ogg file and note the program that will play it and report all this information back.

4. If the test conversion DID succeed, but the .ogg file won't convert straight to mp3, check dMC Configuration to make sure that you have listed an mp3(Lame) encoder codec as being installed. If so, note the version number. Report the settings (the items listed in step 3) for your .ogg file and the settings (same variables) that you have specified for your mp3 output file.

5. Also, check to see whether you can convert your .ogg file to standard wave or not. If you can, see if you can convert the standard wave file to mp3. (This assumes that the Test conversion of the .ogg file worked, if the test conversion did not work then don't bother with this).

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>