title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags - what have I done ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RussellRay
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2004

Tags - what have I done ?

Hello all

This is not a disaster call.
    I have a copy of my whole music partition on an external HD (albeit a few weeks out of date). So, if needs be, I can simply copy the whole thing back onto my HD. I'm just curious to find out what I've done wrong and what I should have done instead.

Let's start at the beginning.
    I organize my music collection (very original this) in "\music\artist\album\number-track" where "number" is part of the filename I assign. In some cases I don't bother with the "album" directory and put the tracks directly in the "artist" directory.

Often, when trying to edit tags in dbpa's MusicCollection, I was not able to overwrite or delete, for example, the "album" entry. I would want to do this, for example, if I had ripped tracks from a "The best of xxx". and wanted to enter the real source or none at all and leave this column empty.
    Presumably the tag would prevent me doing this and the "album" entry would simply revert to "The best of xxx".

So - and her comes the embarassing bit - I started playing about with a tag editor I downloaded - and I failed to heed the "look before you leap" advice.

I now seem to have deleted or corrupted the tags for every single track.
    When I opened dbpa's MusicCollection it couldn't locate anything.
    When I asked it to arrange tracks, it did so - but not as I had hoped.
    The tracks are all there still but instead of being neatly organized in my folder system "\music\artist\album\number-track" they are all listed in the "\music" root folder, artist and album have disappeared altogether, and each track is preceded by 00 and a space.
    Presumably there's no way back !
    Have I removed all the tags ?

What I'd like to do in future is to have just the very simplest form of tag, without all the clutter of "genre", "gold star for special favorites", "album cover", etc. and have just "artist", "album" "track" corresponding to my file system.

Best regards to all and thanks in advance for any tips
    Raymond Russell
    Last edited by RussellRay; October 24, 2005, 10:42 AM.
  • Wayne
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2002

Re: Tags - what have I done ?

It looks like all the original tag information has been removed.

Wayne

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

dAP's Arrange Tracks is dependant on the tag information gleaned from the files. Unfortunately, without any tagging data, it can't work properly.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

You can now use tag from file name, assuming the file names are reasonably well structured with no ambiguities. You will have to define your naming convention that you used.

Do it by blocks of files that all have the same underlying naming convention, so you don't get mixed up. Once you have retagged them, move them elsewhere to keep them out of the next round of retagging.

Comment

• Wayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Aug 2002

But won't the fact that he's already used the "arrange file" option mean that his files will have names based on his non-existent tag information?

Wayne

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Is MMC's "Arrange files" the same as the dMC's utility codec "Arrange Music" ? If yes, then oops!

I was thinking it's only internal to the MMC database structure and specific to the particular named collection .... :confused:

Comment

• RussellRay
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Aug 2004

Thanks very much for your comments.

Using "Arrange" had indeed removed all the files from their directory structure, placed them all in the root music folder and renamed them.
              In the end I resorted to my backup copy and went back to square one.
              It was laborious but at least I understand tags better now and won't make the same mistake again.

One thing that struck me was that the few WAV files I had did not behave the same way during this process that the APE and MP3 files did.
              I was unable to edit their tags. I ended up converting these to APE files and things worked as they should.

Thanks again
              from RAy

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

WAV files do not store tags in the files. That is why you could not edit their tags.

Comment

Working...

]]>