title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't select VBR MP3 encoding

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gthomassen
    • Oct 2005

Can't select VBR MP3 encoding

I've tried everything, but any changes I make in the Lame Advanced options screen are not applied. For instance, I select VBR in the Advanced options screen and click OK, but it stays in CBR mode. I've tried different versions (11 and 11.5) and uninstall/reinstall a number of times.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Can't select VBR MP3 encoding

Originally posted by gthomassen
    I've tried everything, but any changes I make in the Lame Advanced options screen are not applied. For instance, I select VBR in the Advanced options screen and click OK, but it stays in CBR mode. I've tried different versions (11 and 11.5) and uninstall/reinstall a number of times.
    Make sure no preset is selected, and that you are logged in with administrator priviledges.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• gthomassen
      • Oct 2005

No, there is no preset selected...and if I try and select a preset, just like any manual changes I try, it doesn't change it from CBR. Basically I am stuck in CBR mode and can't change it to anything else. I tried installing and reinstalling again this morning with no luck.

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

and if I try and select a preset, just like any manual changes I try, it doesn't change it from CBR.
        Are you sure you are selecting a vbr preset (like alt preset standard or alt preset extreme or alt preset vbr rather than a cbr preset such as alt preset insane or Very High)? If you try to select one of these presets does this refusal to change occur in the Advanced Options window or does this refusal to change make itself apparent only in the other mp3 window (the window with the slider).
        If you go to the Advanced Options window for mp3, what happens if you click on the vbr button?
        Can you move the slider to change your cbr bitrate? Can you select cbr presets (like Very High or alt preset insane)?
        What other options have you selected for your mp3 codec?
        What windows version are you using?

Edit: When you have uninstalled/reinstalled did you try the complete uninstall procedure (which includes removing the dBpowerAMP folder from the registery) outlined here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6828 ?

Best wishes,
        Bill
        Last edited by xoas; November 06, 2005, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• gthomassen
          • Oct 2005

Yes, I'm sure it is a VBR preset...and the problem is the same if I "just" try to select VBR in the advanced option window (or in fact make ANY changes in the advanced dialog window). The problem doesn't make itself apparent until I select the OK button in the advanced window (i.e. when in the advanced dialog box, it appears to let me select the VBR radio button). Once you are back at the main Music Converter screen you see that it is still on CBR. I can move the CBR slider around fine.

Selecting a CBR preset appears to have the same problem - it doesn't seem to accept the change when you exit the dialog.

All other options are still in whatever the default was and I am running on XP.

Also, when I uninstalled, I did manually delete all registry entries.

Thanks,
          Gary

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

This looks like the same problem another user reported not too long ago:
            When I go to convert a CD or any file to MP3, I click the Advanced options to change to variable bitrate, but after I click ok, it's always stuck at constant bitrate. I tried the presets and it always reverts back to constant bitrate. Anybody know how to fix this?

My best advice at this point would be to try manually replacing the Lame codec as described here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4028

It looks to me likely that there may be some compatibility problem between dMC and the Lame encoder and some other program or system feature that is causing this. It certainly does not seem to be a common problem but it does seem to be a more than single case problem.

It is interesting that the issue appears to occur with cbr presets as well. Could something be interfering with the mp3 Advanced Options only?

If replacing the mp3 codec does not help, I would recommend you try one or more other codecs with vbr (ogg vorbis, wma, musepack, m4a/mp4) and see if you have any trouble changing/converting their settings to try to confirm whether this issue is confined to mp3 or not.

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

• gthomassen
              • Oct 2005

Looks like it is the same exact problem and it doesn't look like they got it resolved.

Tried putting the latest LAME beta dll in the dmc directory with no effect - same problem.

WMA and OGG work fine (I tried lots of options and all worked fine), it is just the LAME codec (and specifically the advaced options page).

Comment

Working...

]]>