title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can't change MP3 encoding to variable bitrate

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emmfan
    • Nov 2004

Re: Can't change MP3 encoding to variable bitrate

ChristinaS: Yes, I do have all the latest XP updates and patches installed including Service Pack 2. I installed everything into the default folder as an administrator. I do not have dbpoweramp installed anywhere else or under any other accounts.

On your suggestion to search for lame*.* files, I came up with some additional instances of lame_enc.dll for Ahead Nero, Pinnacle Studio, and Winamp. I have the same applications installed on my desktop without any conflicts, but I wonder if it has to do with the order the applications were installed or if somehow one of the other lame_enc.dll instances is overriding the dbpoweramp version. Is there anyway to force the dbpoweramp lame_enc.dll to be used, or do I have to try and uninstall and reinstall all those applications again, which may not guarantee that the registry settings will be cleared out.

xoas: Nope, I do not have the Lame CLI codec installed. Never tried it before, even though I did see it while looking for an updated Lame codec.

I did try selecting one of the vbr presets and after I hit Ok, it always reverts back to constant vbr and still converts to constant vbr.

I checked for the Mp3(Lame).dll and there is only one file, but the version shows as 6.0.0.1. How can I get the 6.4.0.0 version?

Thanks for all your guys help, hope we can get this nailed down!
    Last edited by emmfan; October 27, 2005, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

but I wonder if it has to do with the order the applications were installed or if somehow one of the other lame_enc.dll instances is overriding the dbpoweramp version.
      If that were so, I would think you could maybe check your mp3 settings in each of those programs (or at least Nero and WinAmp, don't know if this would be possible for Pinnacle for sure) and set any of them that are set to cbr to vbr (if there is more than one instance it would be useful to change the setting one program at a time and checking back with dMC after each change to ry to nail down the culprit-should there be one).

When you have done your re-installs, did you re-download dMC or re-install dMC from a saved installation file? If you have only re-installed from your saved dMC installation file, you could try downloading a fresh dMC installation file (which might help if there was some corruptiion in your saved installation file). This might also help with updating the Mp3(lame).dll file. My last dMC install was downloaded from here:

If that does not work, perhaps Christina or others could help identify a source for the Mp3(Lame).dll.

Best wishes,
      Bill
      Last edited by xoas; October 27, 2005, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

How can I get the 6.4.0.0 version?
        This comes with dMC version 11.5 download from here.

Are you sure that you have version 11.5 installed?

Wayne

Comment

• emmfan
          • Nov 2004

My mistake, you're right, I do have version 6.4.0.0. Any suggestions on the multiple lame_enc.dll in different program directory's, could they be causing a conflict?

Comment

• emmfan
            • Nov 2004

I uninstalled all the applications that had other instances of lame_enc.dll in them and removed their registry settings. I then re-installed dbpoweramp and it still doesn't work. When I go to convert a file, I can't change the encoding setting away from Constant Bitrate. I think I'm getting to the point of giving up, but I really don't want to have to. Any more suggestions?

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

OK, stupid question: do you have some program that disallows changing regsitry values? like some anti-virus or anti-spyware progams that may be too ambitious for its own good?

Comment

• emmfan
                • Nov 2004

No, I don't think so. I have McAfee Viruscan Enterprise installed. But I was able to remove the dbpoweramp registry settings when trying a "clean" reinstall.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Well, I don't now. But it sure looks as if something doesn't want you to have the latest values set anywhere. But it's one thing for the program nto to remember your latest settings and simply revert to some default settings and quite another not to be able to change them in order to run the program. Something may be more protected than it's healthy.

Have you rebooted at all after all these installations?

Have you tried to disable that antivirus altogether for a bit just to try to run dMC ?

Comment

• emmfan
                    • Nov 2004

Yes, I re-booted after each uninstall and re-install.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

Here are a few things to try. These are to try to isolate the source of this problem.

Try using Lame with an Average bitrate (in advanced settings use either No Preset and ABR or use the ABR preset). There will only be a single slider. Can you encode to abr with Lame?

Try one of the other mp3 codecs, can you encode to vbr with that codec?

Try one of your other programs, (say Nero) and try encoding to mp3 vbr. Does that work?

Try one of the other dMC codecs that support vbr (wma, ogg, musepack, m4a/mp4). In these cases their interfaces are different from Lame but see if you can set and encode to a vbr in one of these other formats. Does that (or do they) work?

Best wishes,
                      Bill

Comment

• emmfan
                        • Nov 2004

I was able to use MediaMonkey to encode at Variable Bitrate setting. Thank you for your help thus far. I think I'm just going to try MediaMonkey for the time being, even though it's cumbersome to have to use another program just to encode MP3s.

Comment

• xoas
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2002

I understand your desire to get on with your project completely.

Perhaps if you have the opportunity at some point in the future, however, it might be helpful if you could complete the other diagnostic measures (trying Lame in dMC using ABR, trying a different mp3 codec in dMC, trying one of the other vbr codecs in dmc; as well as letting us know if you tried any other converters for mp3 vbr and whether you ran into trouble with those).

I have one final idea (I think) which I'll post as an edit here shortly.

EDIT: Acting on the assumption that it is the dMC Lame codec that is acting up, you might try manually replacing the codec in dMC as described here:
                          http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4028 (it doesn't look too difficult, use the Lame 3.96.1 version).

Best wishes,
                          Bill
                          Last edited by xoas; October 29, 2005, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• iRX
                            • Oct 2005

I have'd the same problem and I read all this thread and don't find any right suggestion for remove this bug! BUT!!! I have a right suggestion for "emmfan" and all users who use WindowBlinds (I use last version 5)! [COLOR=Lime]Simply turn off skins for all dBPowerAmp programs in "Per Application" tab of WindowBlinds[/COLOR]! Strange of course, but this only action give right functionality in dBPowerAmp Converter the Lame codec! I use latiest codec Lame 3.97 (replace - owerwrite in "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Compression\Lame" and edit file "C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpowerAMP\Versions\Compression\m p3 (Lame).txt" - change to right version 3.97). Thats all! [COLOR=Red]Thanx to all dBPowerAmp Team for very good but not Ideal coding program![/COLOR] Please Read and realize my suggestion for new futures in new version dBPowerAmp 12! And I Think the Lame 3.97 have a lot advanced coding algoritm and have much more fast in "NEW" pressets.

Comment

• LtData
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

As Spoon said elsewhere, dMC r12 will include LAME 3.97. :D
                              Last edited by LtData; December 11, 2005, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by LtData
                                As Spoon said elsewhere, dMC r12 will include LAME 3.97. :D
                                or you could have it now by replacing lame_enc.dll with the new version

Comment

Working...

]]>