title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Coverting Real Audio Problem

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romeboy
    • Nov 2002

Coverting Real Audio Problem

Using the latest version of the Converter, when trying to convert Real Audio files, the newer version runs much, much slower than previous versions. I understand that the codec ran in real time, and was much slower in these conversions. However now, they take more than 15 minutes to convert.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Also, if you do a batch process, the program will lock up and become unresponsive. The problem may be caused by another program trying to use some of the processor time. Have tried to use the program in several modes from below normal to above normal. All seem to have the same results.

Is there something in the configuration I should look for to change?

Seems that I am having many more problems with this version than any of the previous versions. <g> Appreciate any and all help.

Wyndell Taylor
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Coverting Real Audio Problem

How big are your files and how long are they?
    How long does it take to do a "Test Conversion (no write)" on your Real files?

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

The latest RealAudio Decoder running off of the DirectShow decoder with Real Alternative is much faster than real time. It is the earlier Real Audiiio decoder (requiring Real Audio v8) that ran in real time (at best).

It may not be your decoder that is causing the slow conversion. Try doing a Test Conversion of one of your Real Audio files. This is done like a regular conversion except that where you would choose your output format (say mp3) you will select "Test Conversion (No Write)". Your conversion time should be super fast. No new file will be created. Write down and report the conversion time (in multiples of real time) for your test conversion. If it is say less than 40x real time, report this to us. (40x real time is a very rough guesstimate, I will provide a more realistic estimate when I can check this on my home computer to confirm what a healthy test conversion speed will be for a real audio file).

If your test conversion speed is where it should be, then you need to do what you can to facilitate the other aspects of your conversions. If you have Power Pack, then set your conversion priority to "Below Normal" (this is set in the window that displays the conversion progress for the file being converted). If you are applying DSP effects (such as Volume Normalization) you will do better to turn them off. You may find it expedient to convert from Real to Wave and then from Wave to whatever other format you wish. You may also want to assure that Professional Frequency conversion is enabled (set in dMC Configuration).

Hope these tips help.
      Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

I'll have to point out that it has been my experience that not all real media files can be converted using the DirectShow filter. Some will require the ordinary Real Media codec. It may be a case of new DirectShow filters being required for such files, I don't know. Just as not all Real Media files can be converted by that ordinary Real Media codec and require DirectShow filters. None of this of course refers to protected files.

Comment

• romeboy
          • Nov 2002

Originally posted by LtData
          How big are your files and how long are they?
          How long does it take to do a "Test Conversion (no write)" on your Real files?

The file that I selected to do the test on was 356kb, with a time of 2:51 play time.

The test conversation ran 2:53.

Comment

• romeboy
            • Nov 2002

Originally posted by xoas
            It may not be your decoder that is causing the slow conversion. Try doing a Test Conversion of one of your Real Audio files. This is done like a regular conversion except that where you would choose your output format (say mp3) you will select "Test Conversion (No Write)". Your conversion time should be super fast. No new file will be created. Write down and report the conversion time (in multiples of real time) for your test conversion. If it is say less than 40x real time, report this to us. (40x real time is a very rough guesstimate, I will provide a more realistic estimate when I can check this on my home computer to confirm what a healthy test conversion speed will be for a real audio file).
            The file that I selected to do the test on was 356kb, with a time of 2:51 play time.

The test conversation ran 2:53.
            Originally posted by xoas
            If your test conversion speed is where it should be, then you need to do what you can to facilitate the other aspects of your conversions. If you have Power Pack, then set your conversion priority to "Below Normal" (this is set in the window that displays the conversion progress for the file being converted). If you are applying DSP effects (such as Volume Normalization) you will do better to turn them off. You may find it expedient to convert from Real to Wave and then from Wave to whatever other format you wish. You may also want to assure that Professional Frequency conversion is enabled (set in dMC Configuration).
            I know that it applied the DSP.
            Last edited by LtData; October 21, 2005, 10:27 PM. Reason: Edited for Clarification

Comment

• romeboy
              • Nov 2002

Ran another test on the same file. 356kb in size, 2:51 play time.

The test conversation was ran in the normal mode, with out the dsp off. (Before it had a 'Add Tag Element set). This time it ran 2:53 .

If I understand the statements made, the test conversation time should be real fast. Looks like I got something wrong somewhere.

Wyndell
              Last edited by LtData; October 21, 2005, 10:26 PM. Reason: Edited for Clarification

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

First, don't apply any DSP effects for the moment. How long does the Test Conversion take now? Make sure you don't have the old RealAudio decoder installed, just the DirectShow decoder codec, Real Alternative, and the RA included RealMedia DirectShow Splitter.

Also, what is the frequency and bitrate of your source file? It sounds like its very low.

Comment

• romeboy
                  • Nov 2002

How long does the Test Conversion take now? Make sure you don't have the old RealAudio decoder installed, just the DirectShow decoder codec, Real Alternative, and the RA included RealMedia DirectShow Splitter.
                  Matters getting worse. <gbg>

I removed and reloaded the converter, real alternative, and the DirectShow codec package.

Now when I attempt to do the test conversation, this message comes up...

"The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\My Music\Hold Working\Beau's Members\(Lewis, Jerry Lee)_Would You Take Another Chance On Me.rm' could not be opened. DirectShow filter for '.rm' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt."

The file will play, so don't think it is corrupt.

Wyndell
                  Last edited by LtData; October 21, 2005, 10:30 PM. Reason: Edited for Clarification

Comment

• romeboy
                    • Nov 2002

Also, what is the frequency and bitrate of your source file? It sounds like its very low.
                    The file is probably a low bit rate.

However, it now seems that the converter is not going to work at all. I have checked it against some files I have had, and converted previously, and it does not work. States "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\My Music\Hold Working\Beau's Members\(Lewis, Jerry Lee)_Would You Take Another Chance On Me.rm' could not be opened.
                    DirectShow filter for '.rm' not installed, or Audio File Corrupt."

Looking at the config file, the codec is showing as being present. I suspect that the coversation previously ran was with the old ra codec. It is not present in the directories now.

Since I have reloaded all the programs, rebooted the system, does anyone have any idea where I go next.

Wyndell
                    Last edited by LtData; October 21, 2005, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

Did you follow the instructions on the DirectShow page:
                      Real Audio: Download 'Real Alternative' from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1054136293/1 (or search in Google for Real Alternative) add .ra .rpm .rm .ram .rmvb all on separate lines to Configure DirectShow Decoder
                      ?

Also, you have to run dMC Configuration after you add these lines to the config file. dMC Configuration is found at the Start Menu --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration.
                      There, depending on your version, you either scroll down to "Installed Decoders" or click the "Installed Decoders" tab along the top?
                      Last edited by LtData; October 21, 2005, 10:32 PM.

Comment

• romeboy
                        • Nov 2002

Did you follow the instructions on the DirectShow page:?

Also, you have to run dMC Configuration after you add these lines to the config file. dMC Configuration is found at the Start Menu --> Programs --> dBpowerAMP Music Converter --> Configuration --> dMC Configuration.
                        There, depending on your version, you either scroll down to "Installed Decoders" or click the "Installed Decoders" tab along the top?

Think I have followed all the instuctions.

The information below is taken fron the config file. Is something missing?

Smart Install Codecs
                        Musepack: .mpc
                        Mp4 (AAC): .mp4
                        Flac: .flac
                        Monkeys Audio: .ape
                        OptimFROG: .ofr
                        Shorten: .shn
                        WavPack: .wv
                        Advanced Audio Compression: .aac

===Codecs===
                        Installed Compression Codecs (Write)
                        [Arrange Music]
                        [Tag from Filename]: Release 1
                        Mp3 (Lame): Lame Version 3.96.1 [ .mp3 ]
                        Test Conversion (No Write)
                        Wave: [ .wav ]
                        Windows Media Audio V7: [ .wma ]

Installed Input Codecs (Read)
                        Auxiliary Input Decoder: .aux
                        CD Input Decoder: .cda
                        DirectShow Decoder: Release 1 .ra; .rm; .ram
                        Midi Input Decoder: .mid; .midi
                        Mp3 Input Decoder: .mp3; .mp2; .mpga; .mpa; .mpx; .mpg; .mp1
                        Ogg Input Decoder: .ogg
                        Real Audio Input Decoder: .ra; .rm; .ram
                        Shutdown Computer, or dAP: .SHUTDOWN
                        Wave Input Decoder: .wav
                        Windows Media Audio Input Decoder: .wma; .asf; .wmv

Wyndell

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

Next question, what version does dMC Configuration show for dMC? The latest version is 11.5.

Comment

• xoas
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Apr 2002

You might try uninstalling the old RealAudio Input Decoder to guard against the possibility of that codec conflicting with or over-riding the DirectShow codec.
                            If that alone does not help, I would recommend uninstalling RealPlayer (there have been some reported problems with having both RealPlayer and RealAlternative on the same machine at the same time). Reboot after each uninstall. After each uninstall, check to see whether your RealAudio file will test convert and, if so, at what speed (do this WITHOUT DSP-while the DSP may not be the primary problem, this is being advised as a diagnostic step to try to isolate the source of your problem). Make note of your results and report your results. If the file won't convert after BOTH uninstalls, check to see if the file will play in RealAlternative and also check to see if it will play in WMP. Report your results.

You had earlier reported the apparent appearance of another program trying to use processor time during batch conversions of RealAudio files. I believe that this is normal behavior (the DirectShow decoder periodically calls upon RealAlternative to help decode each file) for this codec (it IS unusual behavior for the average codec).

We are assuming that these files are not copy-protected in any way (if this seems like any kind of possibility, please report the origin of these files). We are also assuming that these are not streaming files (eg that you can play them while you are not connected to the internet). If either of these assumptions is open to question, please let us know.

Best wishes,
                            Bill

Comment

• romeboy
                              • Nov 2002

After much trial, error, and hair pulling.... <g> I found the problem. I want to thank each of you who have offered help with this.

The problem turns out to be that the version of Real Alternatives (latest) was not compatable with my system. I downloaded a codec pack with a older version, and it worked like a charm..... and super fast compared to the old way. <g>

As to why this situation was like it was, I have not idea. I know that the products that Spoon has turned out over the years has been great.

Again Thanks!!
                              Last edited by LtData; October 22, 2005, 05:08 PM. Reason: Edited for Clarification

Comment

Working...

]]>