title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tag from Filename oddities

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ailean
    • Oct 2003

Tag from Filename oddities

Hi,
    I've been doing some Tag from Filename conversions resently on some newly created FLAC files and noticed some odd things.

1) Selecting half a dozen FLACs in explorer then right-click/convert, maybe 2 will be completely tagged, another 2 partially tagged and the others no tags. The files are all generated from the same package (merged in Goldwave with flac 1.1.2 plugin), all have no tags to start with and all have the same filename structure.

2) Repeated attemps on problem files usually don't work either but Right-Click/Edit Tag manually normally works fine (cut and pasting the text from the filename in).

3) On one file I tried last night the entire file disapeared! Leaving me no choice but to go back to the original 30+ parts to remerge them (just as well I hadn't deleted them :smile2: ).

It's rare that I use this util as I normally have more info in the tags then in the filename/path, has this been seen before? I'll have a check for new dmc/plugin updates this week incase I'm behind (think I have an 11.5 from a few months back).

Cheers.
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Tag from Filename oddities

There is a known problem with FLAC files and tagging, there is a fix in the works but it has not been released yet.
    Also, dMC r11.5 final was released, you might want to update to the final version. The last new FLAC codec was released back in April, 2005.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>On one file I tried last night the entire file disapeared! Leaving

That shouldn't happen tagging does not touch the audio data. Hold the mouse over one of the FLAC files, what type of tag does it say? Vorbis comment, id3v2?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ailean
        • Oct 2003

Cheers, I've updated to the release of 11.5 and reinstalled the TfF utility just incase. (Still had the missing tags issue thou )

The Flac tags are all vorbis.

I presume that the method it uses is to create a new temp file, insert the tag data into the beginning and then copy the audio data from the original file onto the end finally renaming the new file back to the old files' name?

I did notice the new temp file appear but the operation seemed to end rather quick and then both files were gone. It's only happened the once out of some 30+ files I've done this on recently so doesn't seem a major bug and could easily be some other windows glich. :smile2:

If it's any help all these files have taken quite a while to TfF but they are in the 90-110 MB file size range.

Out of interest will your Merge Util support preserving the tag info (common fields) from the parts to the new merge file? Save me a couple of operations and one less software package when doing this sort of task.

Cheers!

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

New Flac codec is available in Beta section. If your problem was associated with the Flac tagging you might want to check this out.

Best wishes,
          Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>