title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

which codecs or players I should use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nicolemuse
    • Oct 2005

which codecs or players I should use?

Hello,

I've been trying to play some mp3 file with window media player, media player classic with k-lite mega codec pack, and winamp, but the following wrong message always appeared no matter what players I used. I'm wondering what codecs I should install, or what media player I should use to listen to that mp3. Thanks very much for your help. The following is the message:

Stream 0

Media Type 0:
    --------------------------
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
    subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG1Audio {E436EB87-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
    formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 1
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 1
    cbFormat: 0

Media Type 1:
    --------------------------
    AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
    majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
    subtype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
    bFixedSizeSamples: 1
    bTemporalCompression: 0
    lSampleSize: 1
    cbFormat: 0
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: which codecs or players I should use?

I'm not familiar with this type of message.

I would recommend you check the following:
    Assuming you have dBpowerAMP Music Converter installed and you have pop-up info tips enabled (this is the default setting) settle your mouse cursor over the file to access the tag information (alternately, right-click on the file, select Properties, and click on the Id Tag tab). Check for the following information:
    file size, track length, file extension, frequency, channels, bits.
    If any of this information is available, note these details. If tag information is not available through either of these methods, (if Properties does not offer an Id Tag tab) then the file is not being recognized as a music file. From Properties check the file size and file type (or file extension).

If the file is identified as a playlist file, then your problem would be that your programs have no way of reaching the actual audio files referenced in the playlist.

If the file does show a file extension, this may suggest what codec you need. You can check this file extension against the list of available codecs in Codec Central).

If the file extension is one of these: ram, smil, asx, wax, wvx, m3u then check the FAQ on these file types here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=4992

If this file is recognized as a music file, and if it is not a playlist file, then I would open this file in Music Converter and try a test conversion (proceeds like a regular conversion except that where you choose your output format you choose Test Convert (No Write)). If the file test converts OK, then you know that the file is recognized as a music file by Music Converter with whatever codecs you have installed. You can go ahead and convert the file to a format or setting that will work in other programs. You should also be able to play the file in dBpowerAMP Audio Player.

So check these things out and report back what you find.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• nicolemuse
      • Oct 2005

Thank you, Bill. I checked the file. The details are as follows: size:189274kb, Length (m:ss):0:00, extension:mp3. The information of the original file before I downloaded shows that the codec of the file is xvid. However, I've used k-lite mega codec pack which contains xvid encoding and decoding. It does not work at all. Is it possible that the file damaged so I cannot play it? When I played it with Media Player Classic, it tells me that file cannot be rendered. I tried dBpower music converter first, it could convert to other format. But when I opened the converted one, it has no sound at all, and the converted file is only 8kb. It's obviously wrong, isn't it? Thanks once again for your detailed description.

Nicole

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

It's possible it's damaged.

What created this file? Were you ever able to play it?

Just found something - xvid/mp3 is probably a video file with an mp3 audio track.

I'd think you should rename the extension to mpg first and try to play it.

Check this out for troubleshooting playback of xvid movies: http://www.xvidmovies.com/faq/#2.1
        Last edited by ChristinaS; October 03, 2005, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• nicolemuse
          • Oct 2005

Hi,

Thank you. I've tried to rename it as mpg, but still it didn't work. I want to believe that the file may be damaged. I've tried so many times. I guess I've lost my interest in it. Thank you for your help.

Nicole

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Given the suspicious track length, the file is very likely damaged. The ultimate test would be if you can sucessfully play it as a video file. If you can and if it has audio playing ok, you could record it as you play the video using auxilary input (as described in the FAQ section of the forum for Music Converter).

Best wishes,
            Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>