title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mp3 to m4p?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahsknight15

• Sep 2005

Mp3 to m4p?

Im not totally sure if this is the right forum for this topic, but heres my question:

I just got 10 free music downloads with Sony Connect, and I dont think my iPod accepts those kinds of music files. So, if it doesnt accept those, is there any way to convert the normal mp3 into the iPod's m4p?

Thanks for any help in advance!
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru

• May 2004

Re: Mp3 to m4p?

Oh dear heavens, the Sonny Connect website has its files in ATRAC3 format. The only way you can copy these songs to another format is to use Auxiliary Input to record the songs as you play them. Auxiliary Input is included with dMC r11.5.

Also, technically m4p is the Apple protected format, the normal format extension is mp4 or m4a. Yes, technicality, but may allay some confusion later.

Comment

• ahsknight15

• Sep 2005

Thanks for the help, but that didnt make sense to me. :blush:

Is there a more idiot-friendly version of what you said?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Ok, what LtData said is:
        1) You cannot simply convert those songs to anything. You can only play them. You can re-record the audio files to a "normal" format using dMC Auxiliary Input while they are beling played through the soundcard - see instructions for that in my sig below.

2) He is also saying that m4p is a protected format (i.e. encrypted) for Apple. You don't want to have files in that format, but rather in .m4a or else .mp4 format, which are the same format actually but non-encrypted.

Now doesn't the iPod play regular mp3 files as well? if so, you can just record your files to mp3 as mentioned in (1) and be done, or record to standard wav and then convert that to mp3 (or even .m4a if you have to).

Comment

• henrybravo

• Oct 2005

Originally posted by ahsknight15
          I just got 10 free music downloads with Sony Connect, and I dont think my iPod accepts those kinds of music files. So, if it doesnt accept those, is there any way to convert the normal mp3 into the iPod's m4p?
          Just to help clarify, here are the 2 things you should know:

1. As the others have said, the music at Sony Connect is in a format that is not compatible with any iPod. Unless you're willing to go through a somewhat painstaking conversion process, you should just consider those free 10 songs as being unplayable on your iPod.
          2. Just FYI, as ChristinaS was eluding to, the iPod does play normal MP3's. So if you have any MP3's on your computer, there is no need to convert them to any other format. You can copy them directly to your iPod using iTunes.

Sony doesn't want you playing music from their website on anything except a Sony player. That is why they are offering music only in their proprietary format. Since you chose to get an iPod don't bother trying to play music from anyone but Apple, your own music collection, or music in an open format such as mp3.

HB

Comment

Working...

]]>