title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Lowering the Bitrate of Existing MP3 Files??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jvenables
    • Sep 2005

Lowering the Bitrate of Existing MP3 Files??

Guys, I have a large Quantity of MP3's that I encoded at a Higher Bitrate. My question is does DBpowerAMP Music Converter do this? If so how? Is this the only way?

Also, Is it possible to do this in one large batch?

The only reason I need software is to do the above?

Any help would be appreciated.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Lowering the Bitrate of Existing MP3 Files??

dMC (dBpowerAMP Music Converter) will allow you to convert your higher bitrate mp3's to lower bitrate mp3 files but you will need the Power Pack (which contains the mp3 encoder codec) to do so. The Power Pack is free for 30 day trial (assuming you have not had a previous trial of the Power Pack), after which you would need to register the Power Pack. If you wanted to convert your higher bitrate mp3 files to some other format (ogg vorbis, WMA, mp4/m4a) you would not need the Power Pack.
    dMC allows you to convert large batches at once although I would always advise newbies to start with fairly small batches at first to make sure you have the program set to do what you want it to and I would also advise you not to select the option to delete source files after conversion. There are 2 important reasons for this-first is that if you mess up and end up with a bad file (rare but possible), you don't want to have lost your source file. Second, as you are probably aware, while you can convert from a higher bitrate to a lower bitrate, it really makes no sense to convert from a lower bitrate to a higher bitrate-it can be done but you will not get any better quality than the lower bitrate file already has. So unless you can access the source material for your mp3's to recreate your higher bitrate mp3's you might want to consider backing up your mp3's.

Hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>